Official 8.1/Cyan for the Icon?

Status
Not open for further replies.

anywhereanytime

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
After taking a breath I am trying to look at this differently:

1) Maybe it's possible that Microsoft stopped production of the 929 to either build a updated/new phone or concentrate on their current phones and this really isn't Verizon's doing.
2) Verizon will reintroduce the Icon with 8.1 preinstalled and there will be a new SKU
3) The 735 and maybe an updated 830 will be introduced soon that they feel will be a better sell for them then the Icon. The 822 had double the memory then the other 8XX phones when it come out- Maybe Verizon's 830 will be updated.
4) I suspect 1-3 may be more likely because we have confirmed reports that Verizon intends to update their old HTC windows phones to 8.1, read comments by the editor here that the 735 is mostly confirmed for Verizon and Microsoft/Nokia's website still says the 8.1 is in testing for Verizon's WP8 phones not discontinued (like it says next to T-mobiles 810). I don't think Verison is getting rid of Windows phones.

It does stink and it is suspect since everyone has been on Verizon about Cyan for months and months and we have gotten no comments from either Verizon, Nokia, or Microsoft desipte all of them being directly asked about it. It is very strange but I'm trying to be positive.

To your point, Microsoft also bought Nokia with 25,000 employees and this summer laid off 12,500 + just a few days ago said they were stopping all production at some huge plant in India.

At this point, I am mostly faulting Microsoft for lack of any announcements one way or the other!

awilliams1701

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site
I dont' see at&T in that thread. I do say someone saying they are going to AT&T which is not the same thing. I will be as well. I'm going to do everything in my power to get a 1520.3 yellow, but by thanksgiving I will have Cyan one way or another even if its a crappy at&T 1520 or Verizon pushing Cyan.

I love how AT&T jumped in on that thread :)

tkolar15

Jul 16, 2014
Visit site
I dont' see at&T in that thread. I do say someone saying they are going to AT&T which is not the same thing. I will be as well. I'm going to do everything in my power to get a 1520.3 yellow, but by thanksgiving I will have Cyan one way or another even if its a crappy at&T 1520 or Verizon pushing Cyan.

They did jump in and say something like "It's a perfect time to switch". I started that thread and got the notifications for it. They musts have deleted it as it's no longer there. If i didn't have to shell out a ton of money to get out of my Verizon iw ould do it in a heartbeat. I have two lines (1 Icon + 1 M8 WP) so it will not make much sense financially to do so.

awilliams1701

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site
It still doesn't.
"Brian Campagna ‏@brian5476 15h15 hours ago

@VZWSupport @TKolar What the hell is wrong with you? When will Icon users get the Cyan update?"

Is the last tweet on the link I said that didnt' have at&t, but if I use the other link AT&T is the last tweet.

Twitter can be tricky sometimes. It might look like the end of a conversation, but if you continue to scroll, it'll load more tweets.

cbreze

Mar 11, 2010
Visit site
We all know Verizon gives "slim to none" support for WP even tho they sell them. People threaten to move to another carrier over stuff like this and I'm thinking Verizon could care less as they seem somewhat arrogant when it comes to WP. So I was wondering just how many Verizon customers actually use a WP as their primary device. Obviously Verizon has these numbers and if it's like 1% of their sales or maybe even less than that, then it kind of makes sense for their attitude regarding all things windows. IMO Verizon wouldn't even notice if suddenly all their customers using windows phones just evaporated and left. The small dent that would make would quickly be filled in anyway by android and iPhone. So we're obviously dealing with a company that would actually prefer to temporarily lose a very few customers to be rid of what they consider to be a white elephant.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Have to say, I don't understand the carrier loyalty some people seem to have. Can't be everyone that lives in an area where only Verizon has service so why stay when its like finding hens teeth to get this carrier to support the phone YOU bought? I remember right from WP7 when one if their execs dissed WP, then they carried one of the worst devices when they eventually got one, now its getting exclusives and doing their damnest not to sell them yet people still choose them? What's the attraction that you would stand for such bs?

MikeSo

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Have to say, I don't understand the carrier loyalty some people seem to have. Can't be everyone that lives in an area where only Verizon has service
Seems to be a lot of us though. I've used all 4 carriers in the last 2 years and Verizon is by far the best. AT&T was a sort of close second, Sprint third and T-Mobile a distant fourth. Of course, T-Mobile had the best plan for my need. :/ But with Verizon having a $60 2GB data/unlimited t&t now that I'm on, there is no competition which is the best. I guess they really take advantage fo that.

awilliams1701

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site
It used to be true, but fortunately AT&T made a deal to put an antenna on our water tower. My neighbors have confirmed that AT&T is really good now. Thank God I have options.

Have to say, I don't understand the carrier loyalty some people seem to have. Can't be everyone that lives in an area where only Verizon has service

MikeSo

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Fun to see on twitter the people asking VZWSupport questions (saw awilliams asking a few minutes ago :)). Clearly the only answer they will give is links to their own webpages which say nothing.

cbreze

Mar 11, 2010
Visit site
Have to say, I don't understand the carrier loyalty some people seem to have. Can't be everyone that lives in an area where only Verizon has service so why stay
It's the BFE locations where Verizon coverage blows me away simply by being there. ATT can't seem to measure up in that regard. If your not straying that far off the main highways of life AT&T is fine, but go into the deeper backcountry and need a phone in an emergency and I'd not put my faith in AT&T . This is the reason I use Verizon and really the main and only reason. Unbeatable coverage in the backwoods and mountains.

raqball

Aug 27, 2014
Visit site
Have to say, I don't understand the carrier loyalty some people seem to have. Can't be everyone that lives in an area where only Verizon has service so why stay when its like finding hens teeth to get this carrier to support the phone YOU bought? I remember right from WP7 when one if their execs dissed WP, then they carried one of the worst devices when they eventually got one, now its getting exclusives and doing their damnest not to sell them yet people still choose them? What's the attraction that you would stand for such bs?

The grass is not always greener on the other side..

I have an AT&T account right now with 3 lines on a family plan and I have a Verizon account with one line on it.. I want to dump AT&T once those 3 lines are off contract which is next month.. Sprint is NOT an option and while I do like T-Mobile's prices and plans their coverage is horrible..

That leaves AT&T and Verizon as the only viable options for many.. I am here to tell you that AT&T is better in some things than Verizon and worse in others.. Choose your poison!

I will probably switch my AT&T family plan phones to Verizon once the contracts are up..

Like I said, the grass is not always greener on the other side..

Heavens_Angel26

May 29, 2014
Visit site
I do plan on making a switch to AT&T, after all, the reason why I got the Icon because I wanted to get the Lumia 1520. Verizon and its sales people just doesn't understand us on why we love Windows Phone.....

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
The grass is not always greener on the other side..

I have an AT&T account right now with 3 lines on a family plan and I have a Verizon account with one line on it.. I want to dump AT&T once those 3 lines are off contract which is next month.. Sprint is NOT an option and while I do like T-Mobile's prices and plans their coverage is horrible..

That leaves AT&T and Verizon as the only viable options for many.. I am here to tell you that AT&T is better in some things than Verizon and worse in others.. Choose your poison!

I will probably switch my AT&T family plan phones to Verizon once the contracts are up..

Like I said, the grass is not always greener on the other side..

There will always be situations where only Verizon will work but I cant see that being the case for all WP/Icon users. And I personally have used att and they were pretty good, had no complaints, even though I'm now on Tmobile with a 1520.3. However as cbreze mentioned, I have been to areas for weekend getaways and didnt have a signal on my Tmo phone and only the landlady's Verizon phone worked so there's merit there.

But as I said, all WP users cant be in that situation and if I was in their shoes I wouldnt hesitate to dump Verizon. There's no argument, they dont give a toss about WP and their WP users apart from the Icon exclusive they have there's no reason anyone should stick with them if they can make a move to att, who have more Lumia WP devices and have updated all of them to Cyan.

grafixguy#AC

May 4, 2014
Visit site
The thing I don't get is why Verizon wants an exclusive on a flagship phone they have no intention of supporting or promoting. This whole thing is a giant fustercluck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
otispit