Windows 10 for Lumia Icon

owoturotimi

Mar 20, 2015
Visit site
Funny enough there are different experiences. In my experience, I have just found like about 6 minimal bugs that do not affect my experience. The rest is just fine tuning the os.

Vernon Vincent

Sep 10, 2013
Visit site
I installed W10 10166 over the weekend. First attempt was an upgrade from WP8.1 with all of my apps and stuff installed. Installed appeared to work, but at one point I restarted the phone and the touchscreen capabilities stopped working. Used the Windows Phone Recovery tool to restore to WP8.1 and then did a clean install of WP10 10166. Have mostly been impressed with it. My battery evaporates pretty fast, but I attribute that to my Icon being a refurbished unit I purchased off of eBay.

I like the UI animations and the redesign of the Settings screen, including the Actions section. Apps generally seem to launch faster on WP10, At the moment, Hey Cortana doesn't work - and I used that a lot. However, this is about the only thing I have found that I really miss.

Rich215

Dec 20, 2013
Visit site
I miss my Calendar from 8.1. This Outlook calendar is hidious and .......well....just sucks. lol

I think there is alot of updating to do yet. On my icon I see lots of scaling in the lockscreen and many apps obviously. Apps will update as needed I know.

On thing I found pretty useful is the search box in the various settings windows. I could not find the background settings for apps until i used the search function.

antonius138

Mar 5, 2014
Visit site
Store PSA: If you use Hyperlapse Mobile and potentially other apps and perform a 'reset with no restore/clean install' with build 10166, then some apps such as Hyperlapse will no longer be available. I now have a very long list of apps in the "not available for this phone" section. You used to be able to install these apps from the 'old' store but the 'old' store is no longer available in this build and probably going forward. Its universal apps or nothing now.

A.

NOLATechy

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
I had the same problems. What worked for me was upgrading to Windows 10 Build 10166, then do a "Reset Phone". DO NOT use the restore feature. You will need to reinstall all your apps manually. The build is still not "perfect" and can be a bit laggy in some areas, but for the most part, I am able to use my Lumia Icon as a daily driver. Bluetooth works, Microsoft Band works with the phone. No problems with calls or text messages. All but a few of the apps that I had work perfectly. I will say that Build 10166 is the best build to date for Windows 10. They still have a long way to go, but eventually it will get there. I'm planning to sticking it out with Build 10166 since I'm not having any MAJOR issues so far. Will wait and see.

SilhouetteBS

Dec 5, 2013
Visit site
I tried to update my phone from Windows 8.1 Update 1 to build 10166, but it throws the error 80070020. It downloads the update, prepares it for install, restarts the phone and gets about 3/4 of the way through, restarts again, and sets it back to 8.1 update 1 and displays the error mentioned above. Does anyone know how to get around this issue?
I did not do a hard reset before the upgrade and was hoping I wouldn't need to.

NokWinLu

May 22, 2015
Visit site
Is 10166 available for V E R I Z O N?

Also...clue me in. Isn't the Lumia Icon ONLY Verizon? I thought it was 929 or 930 for other carriers.

TheJoester09

Mar 16, 2012
Visit site
I must be lucky or something...I went straight from 8.1 to 10166 and didn't hard reset at all, and it's nearly flawless for me. *knock on wood*

Seriously, the biggest annoyance for me right now is that the notification icon doesn't clear if I go directly to the app with the notification...I have to drop down the notification center regardless of whether or not I've already read the notification. That's it for problems...seriously. Like I said, I guess I'm just lucky.

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
Store PSA: If you use Hyperlapse Mobile and potentially other apps and perform a 'reset with no restore/clean install' with build 10166, then some apps such as Hyperlapse will no longer be available. I now have a very long list of apps in the "not available for this phone" section. You used to be able to install these apps from the 'old' store but the 'old' store is no longer available in this build and probably going forward. Its universal apps or nothing now.

A.

Can you provide a list of apps that are no longer available? Depending which apps are no longer available, I may hold off until they are available on the new app store.

Also, have you tried to side load them? You should be able to download it onto your laptop or desktop and side load it.

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site

Also...clue me in. Isn't the Lumia Icon ONLY Verizon? I thought it was 929 or 930 for other carriers.

Yes, the Icon is Verizon only; and yes you can download and install it if you are on Verizon. The model # is 929, but Verizon wanted to call it the Icon. The 929 is not available for other carriers, nor was intended for international sale. The 930 is actually for international usage, and not sold on any US carrier.

Both phones will work on non-Verizon carriers though, because of GSM and HSPA+. Additionally, you may or may not get LTE on non-Verizon carriers, depending on those carriers local LTE market.

There are a few non-US carriers that the Icon works perfectly; those are primarily in Canada and Mexico.

drewman77

Sep 25, 2014
Visit site
Well, not perfectly. As Verizon has disabled the MMS APN entry on the Icon you can't send or receive MMS on most foreign carriers, which is just dumb.

bulls96

Jun 25, 2007
Visit site
It seems like the phone doesn't charge well using the Nokia qi charger I've used with it before. Anyone with the same issue?

aximtreo

Jul 14, 2008
Visit site

First, yes 10166 is available for Verizon. You have to join the Windows Insider program to get it. Download the app from the store and open, follow the instructions and then do a windows update search. It might not happen the first time but it will give you access to this update.

Secondly, yes ICON is only for Verizon. It has CDMA radios which is what Verizon uses. It can be used on GSM carriers but you loose some of the speed functions due to the lack of optimized GSM radio bands in the ICON. The 930 is the GSM version for the rest of the world. It works on all the US GSM carriers plus most outside US carriers. Bottom line, the ICON can be used on both where as the 930 cannot be used on Verizon.

Hope this helps.

NokWinLu

May 22, 2015
Visit site
First, yes 10166 is available for Verizon. You have to join the Windows Insider program to get it. Download the app from the store and open, follow the instructions and then do a windows update search. It might not happen the first time but it will give you access to this update.

Secondly, yes ICON is only for Verizon. It has CDMA radios which is what Verizon uses. It can be used on GSM carriers but you loose some of the speed functions due to the lack of optimized GSM radio bands in the ICON. The 930 is the GSM version for the rest of the world. It works on all the US GSM carriers plus most outside US carriers. Bottom line, the ICON can be used on both where as the 930 cannot be used on Verizon.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the info. I assume 10166 must be fast ring because I'm not getting the update for slow ring. Thanks again for your reply.

JBG1952

Apr 11, 2015
Visit site
This sounds like you are having an over heating issue during the update which I experienced as well. I resolved the issue by going back to WP 8.1, getting the OS updates, and then doing a hard reset. I then loaded Windows Insider and downloaded 10166. Once the install commences, place the phone glass screen side up over a cold compress (the reusable kinds that you find in a drug store as this minimizes condensation) wrapped in a dish towel. Do not touch any buttons until the installation finishes. That causes a problem. When I did this, I went to sleep for the night and woke up with a fully functioning Icon with 10166.

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
This sounds like you are having an over heating issue during the update which I experienced as well. I resolved the issue by going back to WP 8.1, getting the OS updates, and then doing a hard reset. I then loaded Windows Insider and downloaded 10166. Once the install commences, place the phone glass screen side up over a cold compress (the reusable kinds that you find in a drug store as this minimizes condensation) wrapped in a dish towel. Do not touch any buttons until the installation finishes. That causes a problem. When I did this, I went to sleep for the night and woke up with a fully functioning Icon with 10166.

I put my icon, plugged in, on top of the AC vent 😄

SilhouetteBS

Dec 5, 2013
Visit site

I stuck mine in the freezer during the entire upgrade and still received the 80070020 error.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon