Windows 10 for Lumia Icon

Scorpio5x0

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Been using W10M since last week. So far, issues that I have had are a couple apps not working, battery life, and a couple times I have had to deal with the loading issue at startup. They are annoyances and the startup issue is rather frustrating, but not deal breakers.

MikeSo

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
I tried it a few builds ago, and had to roll back... it was not stable enough. After using Windows 10 Mobile on my L635 and Windows 10 on my laptop now though, I am itching to get it on my Icon as well...

Anyway, my question was, did I understand it correctly that Microsoft says they will officially roll out W10M to users and bypass carriers this time? Or is that still just a Windows Insider thing? I so hope we don't have to wait for Verizon to get full use out of the Icon this time.

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
I tried it a few builds ago, and had to roll back... it was not stable enough. After using Windows 10 Mobile on my L635 and Windows 10 on my laptop now though, I am itching to get it on my Icon as well...

Anyway, my question was, did I understand it correctly that Microsoft says they will officially roll out W10M to users and bypass carriers this time? Or is that still just a Windows Insider thing? I so hope we don't have to wait for Verizon to get full use out of the Icon this time.

According to this article from this past May... yes. But only after the carriers push out the OTA.

Microsoft will bypass carriers, push Windows 10 updates directly to phones | PCWorld

Kasey Pierce

Jan 28, 2013
Visit site
Windows Central did an article about that a while back, stating that even with Carriers usually taking their time to roll out official updates, you can still get official release through the Windows Developer App. the only thing i can think of that would prevent users getting anything new from Microsoft would be firmware updates. (Denim you break my heart)

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
According to this article from this past May... yes. But only after the carriers push out the OTA.

Microsoft will bypass carriers, push Windows 10 updates directly to phones | PCWorld

Sure, UPDATES but, the OS itself will require Verizon to step in and offer it. Are we going to get a major update for a phone that has been discontinued for over a year now ?

Sad to say, I would not count on it....it might be the preview program for ever on the ICON. Verizon has a history of not supporting dropped devices from their lineup and if Verizon does offer it to us (for some reason) I think there would be an outrage from Android users who's phone did not get a update after they stopped selling it 6 months ago.

Unless Nokia/Microsoft offers it but, still it would require Verizon to step in, so otherwise we will be waiting 6 months, or never get it...

Sad to say the ICON might never get Windows 10 Mobile...offically

SpaceyO

Feb 23, 2014
Visit site
So, I've upgraded to Win10 on my SP3 and desktop. Now, the next question, should I take the plunge for W10M TP? Decisions...decisions...

Honestly? I'd wait until the next build comes out, hopefully this week. I've been running 10166 on my Icon for about a month now, and while fairly smooth, I find myself needing to do a soft reset at least once a day, and live tiles being actually "live" is kind of hit or miss (the "People" live tile hasn't worked for a couple weeks now)

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
Thanks. I actually took the plunge. My phone is doing the preparation for install as we speak. I'll let you know how it goes.

Update: I'm doing a hard reset now. The upgrade didn't go so well. :/. After upgrading it got stuck in a black loading screen. Fortunately, I could get to settings and trigger a hard reset. I'm not that worried about losing data. It is all saved to OneDrive, or about 95% of it is. The most recent photos I took were downloaded yesterday.

Last edited:

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
So, here is my experience.

1. I been stuck in a "loading" loop a couple of times. I'm not sure why. I've checked other forums and there doesn't seem to be one cause.
2. Mobile hotspot doesn't work. It allows me to set it up, but when I turn it on, it says. "Mobile Hotspot is not available at this time" then shuts off.
3. Phone is running hot and my battery life is atrocious.
4. I get an error in the Windows Store when downloading my apps.

I'll give another few days, if it doesn't work itself out, I may have to revert back to 8.1. The loading loop and mobile hotspot not working are major problems.

Update: I have no choice now. I did a soft reset and now I can't get past my lock screen. I type in my PIN and it hangs and won't unlock.

I'm going to wait for the next build.

Last edited:

Chubbynaga

Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
I am upgrading from 10166 to 10512 right now. Will report back.

When I was in 10166, I had to hard reset my phone and the experience got better. The quality also varied based on the previous state before update(8.1). 10166 was the first time I can use my Icon as my primary driver.

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
Yeah, no internet sharing is a deal breaker. It was broke for me on 10166. 10166 was really bad for me. The loading loops I could deal with. But after doing a soft reset and it wouldn't accept my PIN to unlock the phone was why I reverted. I had already done a hard reset after upgrading.

bclasen1

Aug 21, 2013
Visit site
Updated today, all is working well except LTE. Every build of win10 so far, my data simply doesn't work. On 8.1 I would have to set data to roaming sometimes in order to get data but MS seems to have removed this setting. Any ideas on this because this build seems to be running smoothly for me otherwise? (updated from stock 8.1, tried reboot, airplane mode, phone reset)

Chubbynaga

Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
My first phone reset not able to connect to LTE/data. Second reset fixed it. So far so good. Battery life is better than previous build - Verizon LTE Lumia Icon

MikeSo

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
I was going yo update my Icon if my 635 ran smoothly now but... Holding off again. Edge keeps crashing a lot and without the browser being reliable Windows Phone becomes a lot less useful.

Maybe next build!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon