04-05-2016 10:56 AM
317 ... 56789 ...
tools
    It's sounding more and more like Google ecosystem apps. Today with their Gmailify debut, allowing Outlook users to use all Gmail features with an Outlook account. I wouldn't think they would try something like that, unless their intentions are to head over to W10M with official apps.
    02-17-2016 02:38 PM
    You nailed it, that is the right answer
    02-17-2016 03:39 PM
    The one thing that could really blow someone's mind? Windows Mobile will run on top of Android or iOS, just like the "iPhone Pro" reference from Satya and since MS has been testing the waters with Cortana, OneDrive, Office and more on those platforms. Can you imagine, a "launcher" that obscures all of Android, gives you access to Android apps directly from the Play Store, since it is still Android underneath, but that with the full Windows Mobile runtime on top, not only can do Cortana, office, etc, but even Universal Apps (UWP). Marks the end of the Windows Mobile OS for sure, but gets a new life as a layer on top of Android that gives you all the benefits of Windows, w/o having to mess with phones, carriers, oems, etc. It just installs from the store (it can be limited to a few handsets that have the muscle to run it appropriately) and makes your Android phones work like Windows Mobile (well, not like it is running now) and have access to UWP, making people want to write for UWP since it would work on millions of phones right away and then for Windows Tablets and Desktops.

Sure, very utopic, but would explain why they can't figure out all the bugs on Windows Mobile as they are working in parallel to get that version working on top of android.
    02-17-2016 03:43 PM
    I hadn't read your message, but posted something similar a while after you. I think you are right. It is the only thing that makes sense ;-)
    02-17-2016 03:45 PM
    The one thing that could really blow someone's mind? Windows Mobile will run on top of Android or iOS, just like the "iPhone Pro" reference from Satya and since MS has been testing the waters with Cortana, OneDrive, Office and more on those platforms. Can you imagine, a "launcher" that obscures all of Android, gives you access to Android apps directly from the Play Store, since it is still Android underneath, but that with the full Windows Mobile runtime on top, not only can do Cortana, office, etc, but even Universal Apps (UWP). Marks the end of the Windows Mobile OS for sure, but gets a new life as a layer on top of Android that gives you all the benefits of Windows, w/o having to mess with phones, carriers, oems, etc. It just installs from the store (it can be limited to a few handsets that have the muscle to run it appropriately) and makes your Android phones work like Windows Mobile (well, not like it is running now) and have access to UWP, making people want to write for UWP since it would work on millions of phones right away and then for Windows Tablets and Desktops.

Sure, very utopic, but would explain why they can't figure out all the bugs on Windows Mobile as they are working in parallel to get that version working on top of android.
    I don't think that would be appealing at all to be honest. Plus Apple would never allow something like that.
    Jeddic likes this.
    02-17-2016 03:55 PM
    Ok this reminds me the now infamous "something amazing coming to windows phone
    Do you guys remember that?
    Unfortunately I can't post the YouTube link.
    But anyways now we all know he probably was talking about McLaren and exploding tiles, and it's funny when he says in the end "we can do that?" Well I guess now we know they couldn't.
    So to be honest I wouldn't set my expectations to high.
    I'm pretty sure at the time he was talking about holo lens which hadn't been revealed.
    02-17-2016 04:38 PM
    Hololens was something amazing for windows phone? How exactly?
    02-17-2016 04:55 PM
    I don't expect anything mind blowing. If I have to take a guess, I say that a major manufacturer, such as Samsung or Motorola, will release their flagship phone running Windows.
    02-17-2016 05:05 PM

I don't see how that would be any good at all. I know Android is becoming less open source, but at least in the past it wasn't terribly hard to integrate any app fairly deeply into the OS. In my experiences of Android Development, I don't see how Microsoft couldn't give Cortana the same exact features it has on WP8 and W10M. Mainly I'm referring to the text read out. To do any sort of context, they'd have to do their own messaging app, but that wouldn't be hard to do and could potentially be a Skype integration. As I've left Android again, I don't know if it's already been implemented, but the contextual reminders could easily be pulled from the Outlook app I'm sure.

Regardless, this just doesn't seem like something they would even try. It sounds like it'd be the equivalent of running a virtual machine for a different phone OS. I can't imagine that'd be easy or even worthwhile.

To your comment about the bugs, if you're up to insider build .107, most of those major bugs have been fixed or at least reduced. The OS is much more stable now. I'm sure some of the delay came because of the launch of the mobile OS being right around all the holidays. I'd expect to see additional improvement soon, as well as the potential for Redstone builds in the near future (as this appears to be something that is being hinted at very soon).
    02-17-2016 05:15 PM
    I do remember seeing a comment from Rubino basically saying it wasn't new apps. Evleaks said the HP Elite wasn't the surface phone.

I would think this comes down to a major and unannounced OS feature (with a potential impact greater than Continuum) or a major hardware release (some have suggested a Samsung S7 w/ W10M).

As much as everyone seems like they'd be excited about Google apps coming to W10M, and I know that'd be a big deal, being on Windows Phone for the better part of the last 2-3 years has left me with only a very slight dependency on Gmail. I've personally stopped using Play Music and switched to Groove, never really used the Movies and TV store, never used Drive, never really liked Maps (I've always preferred Here Maps on a phone, but now have Nav in my car), and beyond that, there isn't a single Google/Android feature or service that I can think of that I've ever consistently used. So I can't see why this would be something totally mind blowing. Many of Microsoft's services OneDrive, Groove, Office Mobile Apps, etc., have either been better than or on par with Google's services in my opinion.

As much as I think a major OS feature would be mind-blowing, I think the most mind-blowing thing would have to be some sort of major OEM partner(s). Samsung, LG, HTC, etc., all will spend a lot of money on advertising, store inventory, training sales associates, etc., because they already do. If Microsoft is going to dig it's heels in and get back in on the smartphone market, that's how they'll win, by using someone else's name and money.
    Last edited by constantreader16; 02-17-2016 at 05:25 PM. Reason: Finishing thoughts
    Mike G and OSean like this.
    02-17-2016 05:20 PM
    Respectfully and very strongly disagree! Faster definitely but in NO WAY does either the 950 or XL take better photos.

One of the top reasons i owned a Lumia was for camera supremacy... MS has killed that by removing and crippling Lumia camera for the lame MS camera.
    I'll respectfully disagree with you! :) I own/use both the 1020 and the 950. Crop-zooming aside, the 950 wins in most situations. Mayby I'll do some side by side.
    02-17-2016 05:41 PM
    And I respectfully disagree with YOU and agree with CincyKid. The very first thing I did was comparisons between my 1020 and my tremendous waste of money that is the 950. The 1020 beat it in everything but speed. Even the sound on the video was better! So, no, there's no universe where I recommend to ANYONE the 950.
    02-17-2016 06:29 PM
    And I respectfully disagree with YOU and agree with CincyKid. The very first thing I did was comparisons between my 1020 and my tremendous waste of money that is the 950. The 1020 beat it in everything but speed. Even the sound on the video was better! So, no, there's no universe where I recommend to ANYONE the 950.
    Comparing 40 megapixels to 20 megapixels is a huge difference, but the camera that is in the 950 is the same as the 930, Icon, and 1520, which is still a great camera.
    cincykid76 likes this.
    02-17-2016 07:07 PM
    Comparing 40 megapixels to 20 megapixels is a huge difference, but the camera that is in the 950 is the same as the 930, Icon, and 1520, which is still a great camera.
    Let's face it: I think it's quite clear Microsoft is no longer interested in the Lumia line. The 950/XL may have the current specs but with an unoptimised OS and a build quality that cannot even match a Lumia 1520 or 1020, I am only interested in buying a Surface phone. If I have to deviate from the path, I would go get a Jolla or Sailfish OS phone. Turing?
    02-17-2016 07:13 PM
    A handset that rivals this one:

http://www.freedom251.com/

Cheap as....
    02-17-2016 09:24 PM
    My opinion...

I think MS will announce and offer a finalized version of ten for all eligible mobile devices.
    Then announce partnerships with 10 or 15 new (and old) device makers who may be able to drive and benefit from Windows on the phone.
    MS may even subsidize other hardware makers to keep pushing the platform up this slippery "10 degree" incline.
    constantreader16 likes this.
    02-17-2016 09:45 PM
    Whatever it is, I think the blowing of mind happens at MWC, Barcelona
    02-17-2016 09:47 PM
    Whatever it is, I think the blowing of mind happens at MWC, Barcelona
    Well yeah...that would be my guess also :)
    02-17-2016 09:49 PM
    Blowing of mind means...... Official windows 10 mobile release will roll out on 2018 lol....
    02-17-2016 09:49 PM
    "Mind blowing" reminds me of things like:
    "Buy now and save"
    "Free with the purchase of..."
    "Order in the next fifteen minutes and we'll include..."
    "For a limited time only!"
    "The best new series of the this season!" (when the show hasn't even been on yet)
    "Voted number one by people like you"
    "5 star rating!"
    "Hurry before offer ends"
    "Closing our doors forever!"
    "...but wait!...that's not all!"
    02-17-2016 10:02 PM
    A handset that rivals this one:

http://www.freedom251.com/

Cheap as....
    The catch is that it's subsidized, so not cheap. You can get a free subsidized phone.
    02-17-2016 10:12 PM
    Let's face it: I think it's quite clear Microsoft is no longer interested in the Lumia line. The 950/XL may have the current specs but with an unoptimised OS and a build quality that cannot even match a Lumia 1520 or 1020, I am only interested in buying a Surface phone. If I have to deviate from the path, I would go get a Jolla or Sailfish OS phone. Turing?
    Holy crap. Can people stop acting like no flagship has ever been plastic? The Samsung Galaxy SIII, probably the best selling phone of the last 5 years was made from plastic. Yes, this phone could have had an aluminum border or any other number of things, but the plastic back allows for removable battery and MicroSD cards.

The OS complaints should be null and void now that build .107 has been released to all phones.
    02-18-2016 12:01 AM
    Best selling phone in the last five years is definitely an iPhone lol..
    Greg Wenzler likes this.
    02-18-2016 12:28 AM
    Best selling phone in the last five years is definitely an iPhone lol..
    How about since 2007 mid year
    Laura Knotek and libra89 like this.
    02-18-2016 12:41 AM
    and probably you should do your test again, since they improved a lot the rendering (especially for low light)?

Is not the same camera except for the megapixels, by the same logic you would say that the Iphone 6 had the same camera of the 3 years older iphone 4s, right?
    02-18-2016 02:46 AM
317 ... 56789 ...