Orderthe new Surface devicesfor Fall 2021 right here!

06-02-2015 08:09 AM
358 ... 7891011 ...
tools
    so I did all of this then checked for updates and wow there is one! cool! ok it's not 8.1 no problem I didn't expect it to be but might as well update..... gears.... and the status bar hasn't moved beyond a tiny little chunk.... so how long do I let it sit like this before I start running around the room screaming and crying?
    edit: never mind, it's done!, the status bar never moved... which is... awesome...
    Last edited by Mathematicsb; 04-08-2014 at 06:48 PM.
    04-08-2014 06:36 PM
    so I did all of this then checked for updates and wow there is one! cool! ok it's not 8.1 no problem I didn't expect it to be but might as well update..... gears.... and the status bar hasn't moved beyond a tiny little chunk.... so how long do I let it sit like this before I start running around the room screaming and crying?
    I had the same problem updating to "Lumia Black". Wait 15 minutes, and if it hasn't changed restart the phone. Troubleshooter - Nokia Lumia 521 - Nokia - USA Use this link and find your phone for help if it is stuck still.

521 user
    Mathematicsb likes this.
    04-08-2014 06:47 PM
    Is it preferred to register on the one on the phone as main account or is it the same when I use any?
    I'm not clear on what you're asking.
    04-08-2014 07:36 PM
    04-08-2014 07:36 PM
    I'm not clear on what you're asking.
    Is it better to register the Developer Preview on the Microsoft account that is put on the phone already or would any Microsoft account will do?
    Last edited by thepolicecall911fordetails; 04-08-2014 at 11:49 PM. Reason: solved
    04-08-2014 07:45 PM
    If you have a Nokia and have ANY PROBLEM just use the recovery tool to re-flash GDR-3. Support - - Nokia - USA
    This is the 'easy mode' and works perfectly.
    SO , in that case I can flash gdr3 after updating to wp 8.1 ?? And how do I get the image file of the os ???
    04-08-2014 11:14 PM
    Plug your phone in in recovery mode and it (Nokia recovery tool mentioned earlier) will prompt you to go through the steps to get to the latest retail rom, used that to get my wife's dev 920 off Rodgers rom and back to unbranded, it rolled back the update too. Then I re-updated it.
    04-09-2014 12:18 AM
    do i get the preview WP 8.1 in india through the developer preview program?
    04-09-2014 01:50 AM
    do i get the preview WP 8.1 in india through the developer preview program?
    Yes , you will get the preview. Read and follow all the steps in first post
    04-09-2014 02:12 AM
    yup thanks a lot!!! hope this works out fine!! trying it for the first time!
    anon(7900571) likes this.
    04-09-2014 03:41 AM
    Can a normal user download wp8.1. if someone has tried please tell have you faced any problems with it. is the update available in india. when will be the official release
    04-09-2014 04:25 AM
    FFS there is a HUGE article on WPCENTRAL, describing ALL THE DETAILS about this preview.

READ *** THE *** NEWS !!!

Is that so hard???

Plys its nit just on this side, these tips are widely spread on the internet. I don't get it why people don't use the search, instead they ask stupid questions, without saying at least please or thanks for the effort of other people doing the useless work to explain what is already explained...
    Must be a new internet thing, like ****storms or WikiLeaks.
    Forumannoyisms :)

- Tapatalk -
    JediTWang likes this.
    04-09-2014 04:45 AM
    Omg, sorry for spelling

- Tapatalk -
    04-09-2014 04:46 AM
    Is it better to register the Developer Preview on the Microsoft account that is put on the phone already or would any Microsoft account will do?
    For starters, why are you even using your dad's acct on your ph, set-up your email acct on your ph, & then register that acct with dev preview.
    Sure you could prolly use another address, but it's neater & more logical to use the one that you use as the main MS acct on your ph.
    Last edited by JediTWang; 04-09-2014 at 05:18 AM.
    04-09-2014 05:06 AM
    FFS there is a HUGE article on WPCENTRAL, describing ALL THE DETAILS about this preview.
    READ *** THE *** NEWS !!!
    Is that so hard???
    Indeed, famous Einstein quote about stupidity:
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.

Srsly tough...
    All these n00bs asking the same stuff over & over, you literally only need to spend 10min (tops) reading the OP & you'll have your answer to most (if not all) Qns.
    Plus the article linked by Chris_Germany is also recommended reading.
    Saksham Sharma and hopmedic like this.
    04-09-2014 05:14 AM
    It doesn't matter.

Can a normal user download wp8.1. if someone has tried please tell have you faced any problems with it. is the update available in india. when will be the official release
    Did you read the first post in the thread?
    04-09-2014 07:22 AM
    Lots of useful information. So first of all, thank you for that.

I understand what you said about "may void", but i'd just like to be sure about one thing. When i install this program, does it automatically send information to Nokia to kill my warranty? This sounds stupider as i speak further, but does it somehow void my warranty, "over the air"?

All i'm asking is, given that nothing goes wrong, will the Nokia Warranty-status site still say that i have warranty? I don't know how that site keeps track of warranty. Whether it's just a date calculator or if it actually is somehow connected to individual devices. And knows if the user has installed something they're not supposed to. Maybe someone who has done the GDR3 update can verify.

I HAVE done this once, on my previous phone, with the GDR3 update. But my phone was already out of warranty, so i had no way of knowing. I'd really appreciate any help.
    04-09-2014 10:08 AM
    For starters, why are you even using your dad's acct on your ph, set-up your email acct on your ph, & then register that acct with dev preview.
    Sure you could prolly use another address, but it's neater & more logical to use the one that you use as the main MS acct on your ph.
    He wants control over the phone....case closed
    04-09-2014 10:24 AM
    Lots of useful information. So first of all, thank you for that.

I understand what you said about "may void", but i'd just like to be sure about one thing. When i install this program, does it automatically send information to Nokia to kill my warranty? This sounds stupider as i speak further, but does it somehow void my warranty, "over the air"?

All i'm asking is, given that nothing goes wrong, will the Nokia Warranty-status site still say that i have warranty? I don't know how that site keeps track of warranty. Whether it's just a date calculator or if it actually is somehow connected to individual devices. And knows if the user has installed something they're not supposed to. Maybe someone who has done the GDR3 update can verify.

I HAVE done this once, on my previous phone, with the GDR3 update. But my phone was already out of warranty, so i had no way of knowing. I'd really appreciate any help.
    As I stated in my first post, I have replaced a 928 under warranty while it was running GDR3 Preview.

Additionally, I used to work for one of the largest insurance companies in the world. Specifically, I worked in the extended warranties department. So speaking from experience, if the software is not the cause of a failure, and keep in mind that the warranty only covers hardware, then the warranty can't be voided using the software as an excuse. I was the person that customers would complain to, and I had the authority to overturn previously declined claims, if the declination was incorrect. I had the final say. When looking at a failure, you have to look at the cause of the failure. Was the phone dropped and the screen cracked? Declined based on the misuse/abuse clause. Did the usb port stop working, and the phone is running a preview? Not declined, because the software isn't the cause of the failure. I have a good deal of experience in this area, and working for an insurance company taught me to read every page of every contract I sign. Yes, I did so with my mortgage, too. Much to the chagrin of the lawyers office we were in. That practice kept an insurance adjuster from ripping me off when I hit a deer. He said, "ok, the collision deductible you have is $500." I said, "The contract says that striking an animal is a comprehensive claim, for which I have a $250 deductible, and you know that but you're trying to rip me off."
    anon(7900571) likes this.
    04-09-2014 11:04 AM
    My logical assumption
    Once updated to WP8.1, doing a hard reset then will give WP8.1 + Lumia Black?
    Or WP8.1 without Lumia Black?
    04-09-2014 11:35 AM
    Can somebody give me an exact and clear answer: everywhere I read, that after I get the Dev preview, there is no way back, but I have to ask myself (logicaly), is that truth?

So my question is: Is that really so, that I wont be able to flash my phone back to the GDR3+black, after I install the WP8.1 Dev. preview? If so, why?
    Updating your OS = Reflashing your system / ROM, Read-Only-Memory. Analogy: Your DNA / brain.
    Reflashing ROM = Brainwashing the circuit and screws of how your DNA and brain thinks.

Hard Reset will make you forget everything you knew (learnt, corruption) since birth (data stored), but that doesn't change how your DNA looks like or brain thinks.
    In actual term, hard reset will erase all user changes, data, corruption, but it doesn't change the ROM, only putting your device into ROM's 'pure vanilla' state.

In the ultimate disaster your ROM gets corrupted, no hard reset will fix because doing it is simply bringing back ROM-state. This is when you need external help in the form of Nokia Care to re-flash your ROM.

This + the security of Windows Phones is why you can't get Update 3 through Hard Reset, because WP simply don't allow modifications to the ROM easily.
    Last edited by Live2Deliver; 04-09-2014 at 12:05 PM.
    hopmedic likes this.
    04-09-2014 11:50 AM
    He wants control over the phone....case closed
    So, use his account then when you register for dev_preview.
    Bottom line you don't have to*, but if he "wants control", then it makes sense.

*the device itself is what's ultimately registered
    04-09-2014 11:57 AM
    I guess I got the developer preview.. I am not sure though.. currently I am downloading it!!

Cheers!! if it turns out to be WP8.1

P.S: I already have black updated, so no wild guess please :P
    04-09-2014 12:11 PM
    I guess I got the developer preview.. I am not sure though.. currently I am downloading it!!

Cheers!! if it turns out to be WP8.1

P.S: I already have black updated, so no wild guess please :P
    you're in for a lol !
    Its just a later build of GDR3, everyone who enrolls in dev preview gets this build. So its not 8.1, sadly for you bro.
    And its not a wild guess, many people have been made fools like this before you !
    Last edited by Saksham Sharma; 04-09-2014 at 02:24 PM.
    04-09-2014 12:53 PM
    you're in for a lol !
    Its just a later build of black, everyone who enrolls in dev preview gets this build. So its not 8.1, sadly for you bro.
    And its not a wild guess, many people have been made fools like this before you !
    It isn't black. It's the OS that has a version increase, not the firmware. It's an update to the OS, but it is just bug fixes. Not 8.1.
    Saksham Sharma likes this.
    04-09-2014 01:19 PM
358 ... 7891011 ...