Cobalt theme after 8.1

carlosrdd

May 31, 2012
Visit site
Like the title says the cobalt theme on wp8.1 seems to be wrong it was bluer if you know what I mean I'll see if I can add pictures to compare. Can someone else check and let me know in case that it's just my phone. Thanks!

carlosrdd

May 31, 2012
Visit site
Seems to be only the cobalt theme I thought it was because of the sync all microsoft theme settings but no, even if it's on or off it still looks very pale even changing the color profile doesn't work.... This is not cobalt MS! Please fix this!

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
You need to understand the fact that this is developer preview and colours of the screen are related to firmware. Until you see a firmware from your manufacturer, you are not going to be able to see this change.

AymanWP93

Apr 1, 2014
Visit site
Yes , you're right . It appears the change the color saturation a little bit. It seems less ' Blue ' like you said. But I like it this way , it was way too saturated in 8.0 and since i use the new background screen , the accent color does not matter that much now :)

matfantastic

Jan 29, 2013
Visit site
Same here,really prefer the color as it was before. I only ever use cobalt so this disappoints me. I know its a dev preview but I've run into a lot of bugs so far. Still love it though

Adriaan NL

Mar 10, 2014
Visit site
Same here,really prefer the color as it was before. I only ever use cobalt so this disappoints me. I know its a dev preview but I've run into a lot of bugs so far. Still love it though

Same here! I don't like this new one. I switched to Emerald for the time being - fits better with Xbox Music too, though I still prefer the old Cobalt.

nikolas88

Dec 10, 2013
Visit site
This was one of the first things I noticed after the update, as Cobalt was my accent color most of the time. I think it's design choice, I saw the same color during BUILD presentation of WP. It's not up to firmware, because OEMs cannot change accent colors, they can only add new ones. And it's not up to screen, because when you compare screenshots, it's obvious that the color itself is changed.
I like new Cobalt though.

JudgeHolden

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
It's purple for me.
I've complained about this in the past, as Nokia updates made it purple when the screen wasn't at full brightness, but this makes it purple regardless of any changes I can control.

seven6000

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
Madness!! Here is a photo showing the difference, its pretty noticeable. I agree it that it leans more on the purple side now. I also attached a blue that is the closest I can get to the original cobalt once applied as a background photo. You cant just color pick the blue from a "phone" screenshot because it seems like wp8.1 adds a very thin transparent black overlay over the background photo for the tiles so if you color pick it ends up being slightly off once applied as a background. Hope that makes sense, hopes this helps for now. Hopefully the color will be "fixed" with the firmware updates from carriers, but I am not counting on that.

Attachments

• screen.jpg
    screen.jpg
    323.6 KB · Views: 12
  • cobalt-old5.jpg
    cobalt-old5.jpg
    12.4 KB · Views: 13

sdreamer

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
Definitely looks more like the Nokia Blue from WP7. Kinda lame, because the cobalt previously kinda attracted me to how it looked on my white Lumia 920.

Kram Sacul

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
accents.png
Since cobalt is the only accent color in 8.1 that is different from 8.0 I'm afraid to say this was a design choice rather than any kind of color accuracy issue. A very poor design choice as cobalt was probably my favorite accent color.

task.png
As you can see the new cobalt is lighter, less saturated and looks more like a light purple on certain screens than blue. This is even more evident when you compare them in text messaging, the people tile, and the task switcher which uses darker and lighter shades of the accent colors. It's just not the same obviously.

This is not the first time MS has modified an accent color in WP but it certainly is the most dramatic and IMO disappointing. I would have much rather them add more colors (Nokia Blue anyone?) than replace a popular one.

Note: The darker shade of the original cobalt is very close to Nokia Blue oddly enough.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077