Argument against Windows Phone platform on way to extinction?

fuzzyreets

Apr 26, 2013
Visit site
Hey guys. I SO very much want to buy into this platform as I love the Phone and Windows 8 OS ecosystem. I really want to buy in and love it and I think I do but I feel like platform is dying. Microsoft was late to the game with this as it always is and I don't know if they are going to catch up. Just wondering what the thoughts were here on the platform potentially dying in the next year or two. Lots of talk of Microsoft going to Android phones and such. Again, I really like Windows Phone but it STILL feels unfinished compared to my Android stuff. I don't know. I don't know if I can ever buy in and i'm looking for other users to convince me. Not trying to start a bash thread either. Thanks.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Nothing wrong with criticism though there are those on here that get upset about it.

There's no real answer to your question. Some people really like WP and think there's no way that MS will give up on it. Other's feel that we're at a turning point.

What you have to realize is that coming from Android, WP is severely locked up by comparison and it lacks many many apps. On top of that the apps it does have (mainstream this is) lack functionality.

If you're a user who just wants something unique and different than WP is for you. I won't comment on the experience being perfect as if you have taken any time to read anything on this forum you'll know that WP is not without it's problems.

Maybe it's best to wait until next year with the release of 'threshold'. If things don't turn around then I think things may go in reverse or become a phone for 'emerging' markets only.

That's my thought on the matter anyway.

Richard Culverhouse

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
I'll just add that this app-gap thing isn't that big any more. Just check to see if the ones you really need are there. There are some good alternatives to the official ones too.

Also, the people saying it is doomed need to wake up - it is getting more popular (albeit slowly).

Make up your own mind and don't just listen to the naysayers lol

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
I'll just add that this app-gap thing isn't that big any more. Just check to see if the ones you really need are there. There are some good alternatives to the official ones too.

Also, the people saying it is doomed need to wake up - it is getting more popular (albeit slowly).

Make up your own mind and don't just listen to the naysayers lol

Depends on your point of view of what the app gap really is I would say. To some people on this forum just having a WP is good enough. To others, there's a lot of apps missing. It's the reason why I have an Android tablet.

As for doom and gloom. It's mostly to do with the lack luster handsets this year and the constant carrier exclusives. Add in their focus on the US and you can see what people are annoyed with MS which translates to WP.

salmanahmad

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
I've used a Windows Phone but I eventually moved back to Android, however that doesn't mean I hate Windows Phone. It just didn't have the necessary apps I needed.

Windows Phone provides a balance between customization and simplicity, the applications have a unique user interface and performance is pretty good. If you get a good high-end Lumia, you'll also be pleased to know that they have amazing cameras, and DSLR like control over the camera.

App-gap is still very far away from being closed, however if the platform has the apps you need, and you don't mind using a host of third party clients, and if you don't game a whole lot, Windows Phone shouldn't be a problem for you.

But that's most of everything I can say about Windows Phone right now, it's beautiful and functional but nothing really truly stands out about the operating system, except for maybe the live tiles.

fuzzyreets

Apr 26, 2013
Visit site
Nothing wrong with criticism though there are those on here that get upset about it.

There's no real answer to your question. Some people really like WP and think there's no way that MS will give up on it. Other's feel that we're at a turning point.

What you have to realize is that coming from Android, WP is severely locked up by comparison and it lacks many many apps. On top of that the apps it does have (mainstream this is) lack functionality.

If you're a user who just wants something unique and different than WP is for you. I won't comment on the experience being perfect as if you have taken any time to read anything on this forum you'll know that WP is not without it's problems.

Maybe it's best to wait until next year with the release of 'threshold'. If things don't turn around then I think things may go in reverse or become a phone for 'emerging' markets only.

That's my thought on the matter anyway.

Thanks for your extended reply. I do like WP a lot I think. I say I think because I switch phones/platforms frequently to mix it up because I like to see all different things and I really like Windows Phone. I think a few things that seem minor when I switch from Android to Windows Phone keep me from really liking it and leaving a bitter taste in my mouth. I bought into it from the beginning. Bought a Samsung Focus on Day 1 and have had at least a half dozen Windows phones since then. Great platform I just wish it would grow a tad quicker and that third party apps were more available.

Thank you.

Jiri Matejka

Aug 29, 2014
Visit site
I would not be afraid of that, Microsoft has invested a lot of money to it, they will defintely not let it die. Yea, the market share is low but getting higher especially in Europe. There is still a lot of WP users.

aikidaves

May 21, 2014
Visit site
To the OP: Is it dead yet? No. Will it be dead in a year? Unlikely, with Threshold still to come and MS still looking to benefit from the Nokia purchase. Will it be dead in 2 years? Who knows? Personally, I think anyone who answers that question with a definite yes or no is on an ego trip.

The questions are, can you afford it and is it worth it to you to try it? That's a decision only you can make. In my case, it does what I want it to do now, it's fun, and if it's dead in 2 years, I'll worry about it then. "Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof."

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo