ATIV S freezing and rebooting with portico. Anyone else?

freestaterocker

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
OK so if this works... This is after 90 minutes of music on my commute, 30 minutes of games, 20 minutes of phone calls, 30 minutes of internet usage (including a couple videos on youtube) and 11 hours of it in low signal to no signal. It says 12 hours, but it was actually almost 13...

wp_ss_20130122_0001.png

Attachments

• wp_ss_20130122_0001.png
    wp_ss_20130122_0001.png
    117.4 KB · Views: 4

Jalik

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
OK so if this works... This is after 90 minutes of music on my commute, 30 minutes of games, 20 minutes of phone calls, 30 minutes of internet usage (including a couple videos on youtube) and 11 hours of it in low signal to no signal. It says 12 hours, but it was actually almost 13...

this screenshot has been made AFTER you did all that? This must be fake! ;)

freestaterocker

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
I can I assure you it's not fake. I was blown away myself. It was at 97% before the phone call during my drive home. I took the screenshot when I got home, right before my shower. I should note that I turn data off at work out of habit and I haven't tried leaving it on yet. I will do that this week and post a screenshot here if I can, even if it drops below 50% like my HD7 did.

Unfortunately I recently tried a hard reset to solve my duplicate songs issue with Xbox Music or I'd have more screenshots to show you that are equally impressive.

Jalik

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
okay, switching off data, therefore the 2G/3G radios and any data sync, is the reason for the low power usage. also, listening to music and doing calls does not require the screen to be on. two major battery suckers ruled out of the equation. but anyway, it's a pretty good result. I'm really interested in your findings when you leave the data on. you said you have weak coverage? this could be a problem, but not necessarliy if Sammy did a good job.

freestaterocker

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
okay, switching off data, therefore the 2G/3G radios and any data sync, is the reason for the low power usage. also, listening to music and doing calls does not require the screen to be on. two major battery suckers ruled out of the equation. but anyway, it's a pretty good result. I'm really interested in your findings when you leave the data on. you said you have weak coverage? this could be a problem, but not necessarliy if Sammy did a good job.

Pretty weak coverage at work. I get one bar if I'm lucky. And that's if my phone stays on the window sill in the break room, and I use it at the window on my breaks...

I still leave the 3g radio on. There's no way to turn it off in WP8 @part from airplane mode. And data stays on to and from work. (about ? hour each way) My HD7 would lose about 30% during my 10-hour shift with data off, and over 70% the one time I forgot to turn it off. I would charge it during the commute (both ways) to make sure it would last me all day. Man, I hated that thing...

crystal_planet

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
I get about two days off a charge. Data, wifi, blue tooth, two apps running in the background with light to moderate use. The only thing off is NFC.

iosub

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
Pretty weak coverage at work. I get one bar if I'm lucky. And that's if my phone stays on the window sill in the break room, and I use it at the window on my breaks...

I still leave the 3g radio on. There's no way to turn it off in WP8 @part from airplane mode. And data stays on to and from work. (about ? hour each way) My HD7 would lose about 30% during my 10-hour shift with data off, and over 70% the one time I forgot to turn it off. I would charge it during the commute (both ways) to make sure it would last me all day. Man, I hated that thing...

Did you get the results using you ativ with 3g data on ?
Thanks

Manuelo1

Jan 28, 2013
Visit site
Still have reboot problems with my ativ s!! More than twice per week.. I have skype since day 1. i don't know if skype is the problem, it's not my job to find the problem, but when you pay 600 euro to buy a wp8 the last thing you expect is sudden reboots or freezing! I hope microsoft will fix it quickly or i won't buy a windows phone ever again.. sorry microsoft but sudden reboots and freezings are not a good thing against hard competition... :straight:

anon(5571020)

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
mine's done it twice in the month that I've had it, both times in the first week. Sure its nothing to do with it, but after I put my SD-Card in it hasn't happened again.

marcociccone

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
I have an ativ S since 2 weeks. I have the same problem (no portico installed), it reboots 3-4 times a day, it's quite frustrating!!

I have been an enthusiast WP7 user, now with WP8 it seems Microsoft had a lot of steps back! Rebooting issues, animations and transitions sometimes stutter (windows phone 7 was much more fluid!!!), frame drops in bing maps (never saw in my lumia 800......) and there are few apps (and a lot of them not supporting HD resolution).

I also use an iPhone 4s, I would like to use WP but the reality is that WP8 seems a beta! I hope this situation becomes better in 3-6 months or I'll leave this ecosystem...

marcociccone

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
I have an ativ S since 2 weeks. I have the same problem (no portico installed), it reboots 3-4 times a day, it's quite frustrating!!

I have been an enthusiast WP7 user, now with WP8 it seems Microsoft had a lot of steps back! Rebooting issues, animations and transitions sometimes stutter (windows phone 7 was much more fluid!!!), frame drops in bing maps (never saw in my lumia 800......) and there are few apps (and a lot of them not supporting HD resolution).

I also use an iPhone 4s, I would like to use WP but the reality is that WP8 seems a beta! I hope this situation becomes better in 3-6 months or I'll leave this ecosystem...

Sorry... I HAVE portico.

scottcraft

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
Reading this thread is somewhat of a downer. I was hoping Portico would fix the freezing problems my 822 is having. Maybe I will be one of the lucky ones when it comes out for us.

freestaterocker

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
Did you get the results using you ativ with 3g data on ?
Thanks

I'll do it next week, as it's supposed to warm up considerably by then. Setting your phone next to a single pane window when it's -40?C is a recipe for a dead battery... Next week is forecasted to hover around the 0?C. (-32?F for you Americans)

freestaterocker

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
You are working in a scientific base station near the north pole what also would explain your weak 3G coverage? :)

LOL No, I live in the Canadian prairies, which explains the cold, and I work outside a town that's so small it's about 15 miles from the nearest service station, which explains the weak 3g signal.

And I'm a welder, not a scientist... Though I'm pretty smart according to standardized testing.

Last edited:

Trevor1106588

Jan 4, 2013
Visit site
Hi guys,
My Ativ S still random reboots. Came with Portico already installed. sometimes it does it 2 - 3 times in a few mins then will be fine for a week or so.
Weird and needs fixed along with the music.

anon(5571020)

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
could be it - I haven't had a reboot for weeks, but my bluwtooth has been off. I turned bluetooth on at the begining of the week and I've had a random reboot. BT off now and has been stable for 5 days. Hardly scientific, but _may_ be related.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss