Banks giving up support for Windows Phone. The plane has hit the mountain

Status
Not open for further replies.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
I honestly, seriously, do not get the mindset of some of the people here. Is there anyone that actually believes that Microsoft could have done something about this? We're all fans, and we've all invested in the platform, but is there anyone here that really thinks that these mess-ups are as a result of Microsoft's decisions? I understand that we need a scapegoat but this is getting out of hand.

What Microsoft could have done is to make WP competitive. WP lacked features available on competitors for years like BT LE so no wearables support. Lacked multi core support while competitors had it result, no competitive hero phones. Lacked good advertising resulting in no awareness of the OS by the general consumer. Failed to address issues with their "partners" carrier retail sales issues which resulted in lost sales.

They could have done that and probably more but they didn't with the result that WP marketshare is miniscule. So who else is to blame, when app makers claim the user base is too small to warrant their investment, if not Microsoft who hasn't addressed all these issues after so many years?

Harrie-S

Retired Ambassador
Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
While Chase bank may be abandoning the Windows Phone platform here in the states, Brazilian Windows Phone users were treated to a new app from one the country's largest banks, Caixa

Noahma

Dec 25, 2012
Visit site
I don't see where he said Microsoft is doomed. They're just nowhere in terms of having a thriving mobile platform.

Yes, yes, Windows 10, universal apps, blah, blah, blah.
Let's wait and see, shall we?

check the title of the thread "Banks giving up support for Windows Phone. The plane has hit the mountain"

I hardly think the plane has hit the mountain. Two banks decide to discontinue the app due to low usage. Sounds like a sound business decision to me. Why pay the extra costs to maintain the security and app to make a few people happy? Given enough customers request support, the app may be back. What I am getting tired of is the "x app is no longer being supported, screw the other hundreds of thousands of apps, this ONE app missing (in this case two) means the platform is dead and the world is burning" threads . The A portion of the community is starting to sound like a bunch of teen girls that found out the guy they like has a new girlfriend.

JohnIvory

May 30, 2014
Visit site
What Microsoft could have done is to make WP competitive. WP lacked features available on competitors for years like BT LE so no wearables support. Lacked multi core support while competitors had it result, no competitive hero phones. Lacked good advertising resulting in no awareness of the OS by the general consumer. Failed to address issues with their "partners" carrier retail sales issues which resulted in lost sales.

They could have done that and probably more but they didn't with the result that WP marketshare is miniscule. So who else is to blame, when app makers claim the user base is too small to warrant their investment, if not Microsoft who hasn't addressed all these issues after so many years?

You cannot snap your fingers and make these things happen. And none of the things you mentioned are why Windows Phone did not take off. Wearables literally became a thing last year, and Windows Phone already had BT LE by then. Multi-core support became available for Windows Phone 8 less than a year after launch, so no issues there either. Heck the 920 ran on a dual core chip. Microsoft does not have the leverage required to negotiate with carriers the way Apple can. There literally is nothing they can do about that. Lastly there is absolutely no evidence that pouring millions of dollars in marketing would have made a dent in Windows Phones market share. Not a shred. When Windows Phone 7 and 8 debuted there were tons of ads, both on the internet and TV. They did not lead to a mass movement towards Windows Phone. The reason people are not buying Windows Phone is not because they don't know about it; it's because they don't need it.

It's like people on this website think the rules of economics, physics and computer science are magic, that you can just snap your fingers and whatever you want will happen. We've all known that Windows Phone has faced a very uphill battle since it launched, and yet people keep saying that the fact that developers are not rushing to MSFT en masse is their fault. The chicken-and-egg conundrum is real, but to hear it on Windows Central, you'd swear that Microsoft could manufacture a chicken and have it start laying eggs in seconds. No one, not the juggernauts Apple and Google, arrived at their positions by magic, but we expect Microsoft to just make it happen. Because "reasons" and "marketing" and "flagships".

sinime

Retired Moderator
Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
So far, USAA hasn't jumped ship... Again... They had a stint where they dropped support, but later released another app.

JohnIvory

May 30, 2014
Visit site
check the title of the thread "Banks giving up support for Windows Phone. The plane has hit the mountain"

I hardly think the plane has hit the mountain. Two banks decide to discontinue the app due to low usage. Sounds like a sound business decision to me. Why pay the extra costs to maintain the security and app to make a few people happy? Given enough customers request support, the app may be back. What I am getting tired of is the "x app is no longer being supported, screw the other hundreds of thousands of apps, this ONE app missing (in this case two) means the platform is dead and the world is burning" threads . The A portion of the community is starting to sound like a bunch of teen girls that found out the guy they like has a new girlfriend.

I'm of two minds on this. Yes apps getting pulled hardly means that the platform is going to crash and burn. And yet high profile apps like these getting pulled reduce our already small chances of getting people on the platform. If you were about to buy a 930 and you heard that your bank wasn't supported on it, you'll probably start thinking of other options, options that support not just your bank but the tons of others that you may want to use in the future. Nobody will say Windows Phone is doomed if Subway Surfers gets pulled tomorrow. But you can be damned sure that Spotify announcing end of support would spell very bad news for Windows Phone. The only people that buy phones in spite of their flaws are fans and people that have no choice. Unfortunately for us, a good chunk of the market offers more choice than WP, and our platform cannot be supported solely by the number of fans we have.

Luisraul924

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site

Actually one app can make a world of difference. I'm not saying that applies with these banking apps however. I know a total of 12 people that avoided Windows Phone because it didn't have Instagram and Snapchat. (5 of them were back when Instagram still wasn't available). The thing is I know a few people now that would not switch to a Windows Phone even if they were offered a free phone because of them banking with BofA.

Noahma

Dec 25, 2012
Visit site
I'm of two minds on this. Yes apps getting pulled hardly means that the platform is going to crash and burn. And yet high profile apps like these getting pulled reduce our already small chances of getting people on the platform. If you were about to buy a 930 and you heard that your bank wasn't supported on it, you'll probably start thinking of other options, options that support not just your bank but the tons of others that you may want to use in the future. Nobody will say Windows Phone is doomed if Subway Surfers gets pulled tomorrow. But you can be damned sure that Spotify announcing end of support would spell very bad news for Windows Phone. The only people that buy phones in spite of their flaws are fans and people that have no choice. Unfortunately for us, a good chunk of the market offers more choice than WP, and our platform cannot be supported solely by the number of fans we have.

I actually bought a 920 knowing full well that my bank would not be supporting the platform, did not stop me one bit as my banking and mobile phone are separate, I could do everything I want to banking wise with a pen and and paper, or god for bid a trip to the branch, or even a web browser. Sure taking a picture of your check and having it deposited is a nice feature, but its hardly a financial ruin if you actually have to get off your rear and drive to a bank to deposit a check. You would hear holy hell raised if subway surfers get pulled, this community complains if a single little insignificant app gets pulled. I never stated that everything was happy and cheery in the windows phone world. No its a struggle, and it was stated at the beginning that it would be a slow processes, and we would have to fight for every inch we gain. Obviously we are gaining new users as the last quarters results were in the positive. BOA and Chase obviously had VERY few actual users of the app, so they pulled the plug. Of course those users are going to be upset, but it is only a few users.

Harrie-S

Retired Ambassador
Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
There are more county's then America.

I checked the WC from the last 14 month and 9 major banks introduced windows phone apps

Windows Phone users in Canada can download the official TD Bank app and get their bank on when they are out on the town

Axis Bank customers have been clamouring for the official app especially after the closest rivals, ICICI Bank and HDFC Bank landed on the Windows Phone Store.

Kotak Mahindra Bank is an Indian bank and financial service firm headquartered in Mumbai. The group's flagship company, Kotak Mahindra Finance Ltd, converted to a commercial bank in 2004 and has now more than 500 branches across the country.

The bank's official Windows Phone app was launched earlier this week and allows you to manage your Kotak accounts and credit cards.

India-based ICICI Bank has released an official app for Windows Phone, titled iMobile. The official app, much like other solutions already available from international establishments, enables customers to enjoy a variety of mobile banking features and functionality on the smartphone. From viewing details of configured savings to checking out credit cards and loan accounts, iMobile for Windows Phone is a rich experience for those who hold an account with ICICI.

Deutsche Bank is one of the largest financial and banking institutions in the world. The bank has over 2 trillion Euros in assets and handles the finances and banking needs of private, business, corporate and institutional clients. It?s a big bank that finally has proper apps for Windows Phone 8 users. That?s right, not one, but three apps are available from Deutsche Bank AG in the Windows Phone Store.

Last edited:

Noahma

Dec 25, 2012
Visit site
Actually one app can make a world of difference. I'm not saying that applies with these banking apps however. I know a total of 12 people that avoided Windows Phone because it didn't have Instagram and Snapchat. (5 of them were back when Instagram still wasn't available). The thing is I know a few people now that would not switch to a Windows Phone even if they were offered a free phone because of them banking with BofA.

It was an app that very few used, or it would still be in the store. it IS an insignificant app as the bank decided to pull it due to lack of interest.

JohnIvory

May 30, 2014
Visit site
I actually bought a 920 knowing full well that my bank would not be supporting the platform, did not stop me one bit as my banking and mobile phone are separate, I could do everything I want to banking wise with a pen and and paper, or god for bid a trip to the branch, or even a web browser. Sure taking a picture of your check and having it deposited is a nice feature, but its hardly a financial ruin if you actually have to get off your rear and drive to a bank to deposit a check. You would hear holy hell raised if subway surfers get pulled, this community complains if a single little insignificant app gets pulled. I never stated that everything was happy and cheery in the windows phone world. No its a struggle, and it was stated at the beginning that it would be a slow processes, and we would have to fight for every inch we gain. Obviously we are gaining new users as the last quarters results were in the positive. BOA and Chase obviously had VERY few actual users of the app, so they pulled the plug. Of course those users are going to be upset, but it is only a few users.

Oh I agree. My only two banks right now are Bank of America and Chase, so I'm getting double shafted. It's not going to make me change platforms, nor is it going to make me change banks. I'm on Windows Phone because I like it not because Bank of America is on it. But, and this is a big but, a lot of people don't buy their phones like that. Unless this is temporary it becomes just one more reason for people to not buy Windows Phones, and we already have a hard time convincing them to buy them already. That's the problem.

Personally I hope it's temporary. It's a little coincidental that they're both ending support within days of each other so there may be other reasons than user amount, but the platform could definitely do without the bad press it's generating.

JohnIvory

May 30, 2014
Visit site
There are more county's then America.

I checked the WC from the last 14 month and 8 major banks introduced windows phone apps

Windows Phone users in Canada can download the official TD Bank app and get their bank on when they are out on the town

Axis Bank customers have been clamouring for the official app especially after the closest rivals, ICICI Bank and HDFC Bank landed on the Windows Phone Store.

Kotak Mahindra Bank is an Indian bank and financial service firm headquartered in Mumbai. The group's flagship company, Kotak Mahindra Finance Ltd, converted to a commercial bank in 2004 and has now more than 500 branches across the country.

The bank's official Windows Phone app was launched earlier this week and allows you to manage your Kotak accounts and credit cards.

India-based ICICI Bank has released an official app for Windows Phone, titled iMobile. The official app, much like other solutions already available from international establishments, enables customers to enjoy a variety of mobile banking features and functionality on the smartphone. From viewing details of configured savings to checking out credit cards and loan accounts, iMobile for Windows Phone is a rich experience for those who hold an account with ICICI.

Deutsche Bank is one of the largest financial and banking institutions in the world. The bank has over 2 trillion Euros in assets and handles the finances and banking needs of private, business, corporate and institutional clients. It’s a big bank that finally has proper apps for Windows Phone 8 users. That’s right, not one, but three apps are available from Deutsche Bank AG in the Windows Phone Store.

Well people only care about the apps they use. Deutsche Bank is useless to me because it's not in any of the cities I live in or visit frequently. Also the US is the most important market for smartphones right now. Apple makes almost all of their money on the backs of US buyers. India, Asia and South America may have tons of WP users, but they're buying mostly the bargain bin cheap phones and those are not the people developers make money of of. It's easy to see why US app availability dominates the news. It may not always be like that, but that's the current state of affairs.

borjeboy

Feb 20, 2012
Visit site
Well Windows Phone has around 10% in Germany and big companys that uses them BMW has just ordered over 50.000 Lumia 930/635 to be used as work phones..

Also wasn't the main reason for Iphones sucess was because of the big growth in China? Also no i dont really think that WP has hit the mountain yet.

​However this is an intresting time cause Sony and Samsung (they are Android for most Europeans and Americans) has had some serious problems in 2014 Sony have just fired 1.000 people and are talking about even leave the mobile arena. And Samsung well we know for a fact that they aren't even close to what they used to be salesvise and they are even flirting with Windows and has just released a Tisen am sure they are looking around to see if there is any options..

HTC and Motorola don't really have a market share in Europe anymore so it's intressting times right now, what we know is that it seems that Android has probably taken some damage in europe for the first time really.

Harrie-S

Retired Ambassador
Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
Well people only care about the apps they use. Deutsche Bank is useless to me because it's not in any of the cities I live in or visit frequently. Also the US is the most important market for smartphones right now. Apple makes almost all of their money on the backs of US buyers. India, Asia and South America may have tons of WP users, but they're buying mostly the bargain bin cheap phones and those are not the people developers make money of of. It's easy to see why US app availability dominates the news. It may not always be like that, but that's the current state of affairs.

1 "Well people only care about the apps they use." Indeed that also counts for all the people who have one of those 9 banks.
2 "Also the US is the most important market for smartphones right now." Is that than also the reason why Microsoft shipped 500000 535 to India and laughed the 630, 635, 636, 638, 730, 735, 830 and 930 because all of them you can use on your carriers?
3 "It may not always be like that, but that's the current state of affairs" Indeed but for how long?

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
...I'd rather switch banks than phones. I don't have to carry a bank around with me and use it all day.

Just the point I made with BoA on the phone today.

"I have one phone and I LOVE it. I'm not switching from it. I used to love BoA because they supported my OS of choice by providing me with a Windows Phone App. Now that there is no App, I can not love BoA any greater than any other bank. If I have to drive to a bank to deposit a check, I'll drive to a different bank. I'll remove all my funds and show BoA the same lack of support they've just shown me."

Again - I can not blame Microsoft for this. It's lazy pandering to the lowest common denominator. Our OS is under attack by apathy. Complaining here is not the key. Blaming Microsoft for coulda, woulda, shoulda is not the key. Being vocal and united is the key.

Leaving for iOS or Android just leaves you with a different problem set. I've been on other Operating Systems and trust me, despite the media hype, they are not any better or somehow more "perfect" or more powerful than Windows Phone. They are just different. Some like to do it in X manner, some in Y and some with a Z twist. It really only boils down to familiarity and personal preference when you take Apps out of the equation completely.

carlson03

Jan 19, 2014
Visit site
Screw the apps, I like the OS, my bank doesn't have an app, they have one for iphone and android, will I switch, no. I like my L920, the battery lasts a long time, its fast, has a better camera then the iphones and it is cheap to replace if it broke today. I have about 15 apps on my phone, if my bank had an app would I get it? Probably not.
I won't move to Android of iphone unless I absolutely have to. iphone is too boring to me and got very annoyed with android's battery consumption certain days.
but I will say, when my wife and I got married and joined banks, I had 5th 3rd, she had chase, I stuck with 5th 3rd over Chase (even though they had an app), so its not always about the apps for everyone

JohnIvory

May 30, 2014
Visit site
1 "Well people only care about the apps they use." Indeed that also counts for all the people who have one of those 9 banks.
2 "Also the US is the most important market for smartphones right now." Is that than also the reason why Microsoft shipped 500000 535 to India and laughed the 630, 635, 636, 638, 730, 735, 830 and 930 because all of them you can use on your carriers?
3 "It may not always be like that, but that's the current state of affairs" Indeed but for how long?

It's hard to predict how long the US will remain dominant in the phone ecosystem, but considering the fact that the creators of the software that runs most of these devices are US companies, I think it's safe to say that the status quo will remain for quite a while. Microsoft focusing on India means they see the potential for growth there, sure, but still means they're selling them cheap phones that won't push any app sales.

Like I've said before I don't think it's the end of the platform; this could well be temporary. But it's not good press, and mentioning the other countries that don't contribute significant revenue to even Apple and Samsung much less Microsoft doesn't really change that.

Noahma

Dec 25, 2012
Visit site
It's hard to predict how long the US will remain dominant in the phone ecosystem, but considering the fact that the creators of the software that runs most of these devices are US companies means that the status quo will remain for quite a while. Microsoft focusing on India means they see the potential for growth there, sure, but still means they're selling them cheap phones that won't push any app sales.

Like I've said before I don't think it's the end of the platform; this could well be temporary. But it's not good press, and mentioning the other countries that don't contribute significant revenue to even Apple and Samsung much less Microsoft doesn't really change that.

Apple is the exception to this, Android however, along with Microsoft is making its way through low cost devices. The flagship phones just bolster the mindshare. Don't overlook the power of high volume low cost. Hell even the most successful grocers (Walmart, sams club etc.) survive through mass volume sales and low cost products.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos