Banks giving up support for Windows Phone. The plane has hit the mountain

Status
Not open for further replies.

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
I still can't help but believe that these apps were pulled to be replaced with better versions...aka Windows X. Maybe I'm just an optimist about this phone but something better is on the horizon.

I can tell you via email from Chase Head of Digital Products, that that is not the case. Lack of users = no app.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
What is the possibility Windows 10 will bring Bank apps back?

That's my thought. On a PC, why use an app instead of the browser? I can see the use for an app on a tablet; it would be possible to make a mobile deposit. But otherwise, what's the advantage of an app?

SamJHannan

Sep 27, 2014
Visit site
That's my thought. On a PC, why use an app instead of the browser? I can see the use for an app on a tablet; it would be possible to make a mobile deposit. But otherwise, what's the advantage of an app?

Increased security (no potential for dodgy browser add ons interfering), ease of access too?

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Increased security (no potential for dodgy browser add ons interfering), ease of access too?

Is an app more secure overall than a browser? I don't know, I'm asking.

Even so, consumers in general aren't worried about security. Otherwise, how can we explain Windows' >90% market share when it's been heralded as insecure (rightly so) for many years? Or how XP still has 25% market share in spite of being over 13 years old and is accepted as a leaky sieve? Or Android's 85% (and growing) market share even with its perception of being insecure?

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
Is an app more secure overall than a browser? I don't know, I'm asking.

?

I don't know about security of an app vs a browser itself, but I imagine phishing would be a lot harder through apps, and social engineering is one of the most common forms of "hacking". So while consumers may not care much, I would argue a bank should be.

waazzupppp

Sep 28, 2009
Visit site
There is also another 'factor' in the mobile banking App debacle that not many are talking about. BECU already has stated that all of their banking Apps will merge into a new 'mobile first' web interface that will give all users an amazing Mobile Banking Experience via their online mobile web site. They are choosing not to make another app because of the amount of money that is required to keep up with OS changes, security features and other issues. If everyone is dumping their Apps in favor of a more secure HTML5 based solution that is accessible through browsers, I don't see a problem with the Windows Phone Apps dropping away. If they are dropping support completely, then they will stop getting my money.

Currently BECU has my cash, and they have been very upfront about supporting WP and transparent about why they haven't yet. They have so many resources available for mobile users and 97% of the market uses iOS and Android - it's a simple numbers game. The universal app process may also bring some additional financial institutions along the way. We will have to wait and see if this is a sign of bad times ahead or if there will be an anti-Android campaign that is strong enough to break the mold and switch the numbers over to where WP would be profitable enough for many companies to add to their App selections.

All I can say is I'm glad I still have my HTC M7 developer edition... I might need it going forward if this exodus continues.

wpbrian

Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
Count me as another who is sufficiently discouraged to throw in the towel and switch to IOS or Android after 3+ years of Windows Phone loyalty (my wife uses the Chase app weekly to deposit checks from her business, so this was the final straw).

My question is which platform is best suited to someone who really loves the Windows Phone OS, but has lost patience with the lack of apps and support? Any thoughts are appreciated!

Blkacesvf41

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
Count me as another who is sufficiently discouraged to throw in the towel and switch to IOS or Android after 3+ years of Windows Phone loyalty (my wife uses the Chase app weekly to deposit checks from her business, so this was the final straw).

My question is which platform is best suited to someone who really loves the Windows Phone OS, but has lost patience with the lack of apps support? Any thoughts are appreciated!

In this scenario of the better of two evils, I'd probably go with iOS. It's more stable than Android and some of the UI, not all of it, resembles WP.

Geddeeee

Mar 17, 2013
Visit site

My question is which platform is best suited to someone who really loves the Windows Phone OS, but has lost patience with the lack of apps and support? Any thoughts are appreciated!

If you are 'throwing in the towel' because of a bank withdrawing an app. I would say you are definitely on the wrong platform... Go with iOS for the moment.
We'll see you back here in a year or so when Chase et al have decided that the W10 platform IS worth supporting. Maybe then your needs will be met...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte