Battery Love/Hate Relationship

maverick786us

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
Denim update should significantly boost battery life as, I have mentioned in this thread. Lumia 830 which has a small battery and an old processor, has 68 hour battery life compared to 46 hour of 930.

Balkana

Oct 17, 2014
Visit site
I really hope that Denim will increase duration of the battery. I bought the phone month ago and I am really disappointed with the battery, rest is ok. I just dont get how it gets drained so fast even though I'm using Battery Saver, looks like IE was badly coded, because it shows me that it used 50% of my battery in last 24h.

maverick786us

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
I really hope that Denim will increase duration of the battery. I bought the phone month ago and I am really disappointed with the battery, rest is ok. I just dont get how it gets drained so fast even though I'm using Battery Saver, looks like IE was badly coded, because it shows me that it used 50% of my battery in last 24h.

Go for soft reset. I am able to run my battery for more than 30 hours. Although my 3G usage is minimum

dicks-webos

Sep 18, 2013
Visit site
Soft reset is frequently needed. I also had battery drain on my 930 and then I just soft-resetted. Last night (WiFi off, GSM off), battery went from 79% to 78% in 8hrs.

Something is surely strange, the battery usage should not spike like that. Compared to a BlackBerry Z30, the Lumias are really really bad re. battery.

Paul Verizzo

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
Say as you wish, however, as mentioned, we specialize in producing all types (SLA, NiCad and Lithium) mainship and e-batt batteries for aircraft, commercial and military and I can assure you that lithium's will loose capacity faster if discharged "deeply" than if they are kept topped.
How much "faster" is hard to say. They have a certain number of discharge/charge cycles during their life time. Deeply discharging and then charging counts as a charge cycle. "Deeply" depends a little on the particular lithium chemistry as there are several in use now.
I never said that they can be discharged "too much", I said that deep discharging and then charging will shorten their capacity faster than keeping them topped. As an aside, for "long term" storage they should only have about a 50% charge. This is why the cellphones (when new) have their battery only charged about 1/2 way, if anyone has noticed.
And this is not something I "heard" on the internet. This is from a engineer with over 40 years experience in the field (me).

:)
Fred

Thanks for the good attitude. You might very well be correct in that frequent discharge all the way to the bottom of the barrel will shorten the life. My exercise is just done a few times when new. Besides what I posted, here are some more Real World experiences:

The new Info-Lithium I bought was well over 90% capacity out of the box. In fact, I would call it full, except by my discharge/charge cycles, I made it "fuller." Other Lith-Ions I've bought were mostly "pretty full."

I have had huge variability in life spans of lith-ion batteries. Sometimes a only a couple of years. One phone of mine that sits unused suddenly has had two batteries start to swell. One was genuine Nokia, the other, not. The camcorder Info-Lithium I had to replace is about twelve years old, would still top off to its original displayed capacity, and could sit for six months without but a few percent decline in charge! I had some similarly endowed Compaq laptops batteries some years ago. The only reason I retired the first Info-Lithium is that just recently the camcorder just stopped, died, that's all she wrote at about the 25 minute mark of recording. If I plugged in the charger, it acted like everything was just fine, it showed almost full capacity, and then topped it off. But then the next time I used, bam. Apparently something was wrong in the microchip controller, of all things. Otherwise, this ancient battery that allegedly had everything wrong done to it was as good as new.

I have a netbook with a Lith-Ion that can't keep a charge or much capacity even though not that old and not much used. A lemon.

Reporting from the Real Battery World trenches, YMMV.

maverick786us

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
In my case when I install too many applications and run it,I come across random discharge issue. I happened to face similar issues with my Lumia 920 too. A soft reset at that point of time always works.

In fact whenever I suspect any new application consuming the background process even after shut down, I perform a soft reset, and it works. It's a software issue.

I was wondering, Microsoft wants to make Lumia device, the nexus of windows phone. Despite the fact, android a battery hog or power consumer. But in nexus devices, it is as smooth as iPhone, where you never have to perform a reset

DenniSundaY

Aug 25, 2011
Visit site
I have a great tip btw: Wifi consumes a load of energy. Normally I'd let wifi stay on all day because I have wifi everywhere and a limited data plan, but it discharges more than 3% /hour only in standby already. Leaving wifi off for the whole day and only use 4G/LTE and my battery drained les than 2% /hour which is a pretty big difference. 20% discharge in 10 hours vs 10% discharge in only 2 hours...

dicks-webos

Sep 18, 2013
Visit site
I can agree to the soft resets. Done that a few times and getting great battery mileage (2 days easily with moderate use). Last night my 930 only discharged from 79% to 78%. Unheard of. Anyway - this is good. What is bad is the inconsistency I have experienced, that battery drain can happen and then the battery is flat within a day. Lets hope Denim fixes that.

Rick_Air

May 7, 2013
Visit site
Hey, I'm just posting here to keep an eye on this thread.
I too have a 930 with less than great battery. It lasts a day without many worries, but loses about 5% overnight when switched OFF. And the first 15% seems to drain the fastest.
IE is the main culprit when used.
Hoping for a fix soon.

Paul Verizzo

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
I have a great tip btw: Wifi consumes a load of energy. Normally I'd let wifi stay on all day because I have wifi everywhere and a limited data plan, but it discharges more than 3% /hour only in standby already. Leaving wifi off for the whole day and only use 4G/LTE and my battery drained les than 2% /hour which is a pretty big difference. 20% discharge in 10 hours vs 10% discharge in only 2 hours...

I guess it's all in the eye of the beholder, but I don't think of 3%/hr as terrible. That's 33 hours, plenty of time within to recharge. So you would cripple your reliable and free data service to get a longer time to recharge? Doesn't make sense to me.

You'll probably find a similar "savings" by turning off your 4G/LTE and dropping back to 2G. I've done so whilst toying around, it saved a bunch, I don't recall the numbers. It was a year ago.

My median, most common, discharge rate on standby, wif and Glance on, is 3% an hour. Sometimes it's .7% (you read that right), sometimes it's 6%, sometimes it's 16%. I've given up caring about it, worrying about it. If I observe the latter type of discharge rate, I do a soft reset.

I don't understand why this is the case, why MS hasn't fixed this erratic discharge rate. It's just part of the WP environment until maybe someday. Fixate or move on, I say.

CB Stuart

Apr 19, 2014
Visit site
My icons battery is decent, but it should be better. For me it is almost 6:00 in the afternoon and my battery is at 34%. I took it off the charger at 7:00 this morning. I even used it pretty heavily today. I played games, watched Netflix, and listened to music on top of normal use. My main issue is the overheating in the bottom of the phone after several minutes of games.

Balkana

Oct 17, 2014
Visit site
I dont know how, but I have a feeling that my battery lasts much longer now. I removed it from the charger one hour ago and it still has 100%, I was just using it for several seconds, WiFi is on and battery saver is off. Yay! Lol

ivor1024

Nov 14, 2014
Visit site
I got my 930 few weeks ago and I'm not happy with my battery life at all. After I remove it from the charger, I lose like 10% in first 20-25 minutes without touching it and than it slows down. I did both hard and soft reset without any sucess of incresing battery life and there are no tasks running in background acording to battery saver. I even tried installing update for developers last week and I only got a little better stand by time as it loses 4-5% over night (about 8 hours) with wifi and mobile data on. As soon as I start using it, percentage drops like crazy. Yesterday I played angry birds for less than 2 hours and it dropped to 40% from a full charge...that not even a graphic intense game. Not to mention camera app, it just eats battery as I'm taking pictures around.

Now I'm reading here that some people gets 2 days on a moderate usage...do you guys even use your phone or it sits on a desk for 2 days? That just doesn't seem possible as in my case 20-22 hours is about all I get (including 8 hours over night) and I'm barely using it. Reading few e-mails, a little bit of messenger, few minutes of internet explorer, maybe a song or two on a youtube and taking some pictures as it never gets boring to see how good this camers is. That's frustrating, I wanna use my phone without worrying if it's gonna make it throo the day.

Balkana

Oct 17, 2014
Visit site
I wasnt't playing any game that long on my phone, but they really do drain battery a lot. Some people said that Denim update will improve the battery usage, because right now it's only flaw is the battery.

Have you ever tried to totally discharge your phone? Also, make sure not to have any apps running in the background, like IE.

broar94

Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
I got my 930 few weeks ago and I'm not happy with my battery life at all. After I remove it from the charger, I lose like 10% in first 20-25 minutes without touching it and than it slows down. I did both hard and soft reset without any sucess of incresing battery life and there are no tasks running in background acording to battery saver. I even tried installing update for developers last week and I only got a little better stand by time as it loses 4-5% over night (about 8 hours) with wifi and mobile data on. As soon as I start using it, percentage drops like crazy. Yesterday I played angry birds for less than 2 hours and it dropped to 40% from a full charge...that not even a graphic intense game. Not to mention camera app, it just eats battery as I'm taking pictures around.

Now I'm reading here that some people gets 2 days on a moderate usage...do you guys even use your phone or it sits on a desk for 2 days? That just doesn't seem possible as in my case 20-22 hours is about all I get (including 8 hours over night) and I'm barely using it. Reading few e-mails, a little bit of messenger, few minutes of internet explorer, maybe a song or two on a youtube and taking some pictures as it never gets boring to see how good this camers is. That's frustrating, I wanna use my phone without worrying if it's gonna make it throo the day.

Go android flagship or get 1520. I keep reading people getting 2 days on 730/930. They are probably just texting or barely using internet. Battery drainage also depends on your signal strength.. I recently got a 730 But I don't see more than 19 hours on medium usage(to 15%) . on standby it would make it more than a day but with my usage it is just not possible. Anyway, have you charged your 930 more than a few charge cycles? Takes around 10-15 to get best battery

CB Stuart

Apr 19, 2014
Visit site
I just got my Microsoft band yesterday and I love it! Now when I got it I was worried about extra battery drain being connected to the band by Bluetooth all the time. Today, I took it off the charger at around 11 am and it is at 45% with moderate use. I am actually quite happy with my battery, but it could be better and I hope that cyan will make my battery even better. (yes, I know, I don't even have cyan thanks to Verizon.). Also my phone is the icon with preview for developers .

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jruasap