Can I get some help managing photos in WP8.1 - many questions?

lucazzo

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
Managing photos in WP8.1 - many questions!

Long-time user of Windows Phone (ever since the first Samsung Focus), and I've been having some issues handling photos with my Lumia 735.

(All photos are stored by default on 32 GB SD card)

Any help with the below will be hugely appreciated.

1. Incorrect date:

Photos from the camera roll will randomly be categorized by incorrect months in the Photo apps. Pictures taken in August will display as being taken in July, and so on.

Every time this happens, I copy the contents of the SD card onto PC, format the SD card, re-transfer all onto it, and the dates will be in correct order. A couple of months in, I'll take a photo and... incorrect date again. Any clue what's going on and how I can fix it?

2. Photo files:

I have "living images" enabled.

When I look at my camera roll folder via PC USB connection, I see several files for each photo. One is a standard JPG, one is an mp4 (the living image video), and there are a couple of other weird extensions.

Does anyone know what these additional files are?

Some days ago, trying to solve the above date issue, I moved all these additional file types onto my PC, leaving only the JPG's. Now all my photos are listed as "older photos" - not listed by month anymore.

Is there any way to manage photo backups easily?

If I want to move all photos older than 6 months from camera roll to PC, is there a way to do this easily? Does the WP PC App move all the weird files along with the JPG?

Sorry for the long post. It's just becoming a bit annoying. My partner has the same phone, and she's much less of a techie than I am, so all I hear is frustration at WP8.1 and how she wants to change to a Droid =/

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
Re: Managing photos in WP8.1 - many questions!

I can't answer all the questions, but I'll help where I can, and maybe between several people here we can get to the bottom of all of it. I don't seem to be having the "date" issues that you are having, so I'm going to address the file types.

For point of reference, in case it matters, I'm using a stock Lumia 640 LTE that is AT&T branded, in case anyone else is needing to know that when they jump in to help.

I have 4 file types for these photos.
1. <filename>_Rich.jpg
2. <filename>_Rich.mp4.thm
3. <filename>_Rich.mp4.tnl
4. <filename>_Rich.nar

The .jpg is self explanatory. This is the saved image that was edited/selected after the pic was taken, or since the last edit. the .mp4.thm is the "living image video" and the .mp4.tnl is the thumbnail for the video. The .nar file is the data of the 3 images or 5 images or however images you have in settings to be taken when you set it up for Rich Capture and how many snapshots to take for it. It also contains the data on what the current setting of this file is, as far as at what point the images are blended together to make that final snapshot that was saved as a .jpg.

I'll try to learn more about the other issues and report back, but hopefully someone else will come along with an answer in case I can't come up with it.

lucazzo

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site

Thank you for the good explanation on the different file types.
I suspect removing the .nar file from the SD card ("decoupling" it from the .jpg) may have had quite the effect on the Photos app, since now all the photos fall under "older photos" - almost like the app has no idea when they were taken.

(makes one wonder if it shouldn't be looking in file metadata)

I have 11GB of photos or so on SD card. Might the phone be having issues opening such a large folder? I'll test later...

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site

I have 11GB of photos or so on SD card. Might the phone be having issues opening such a large folder? I'll test later...
I've got about 34GB of photos in mine so far. Which I'm going to be deleting most of later, since they are on OneDrive and also synced to my PC. Easier to browse on the PC.

There should be a way made available to purge those files without messing up the dates.

lucazzo

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site

Bit of an update:

Still unable to open photos through third-party apps, such as 6tag, various video editors, etc. If I try to open a photo, the photos app/menu opens, and then reverts back to the app. Makes no difference whether the app is installed on SD card or phone.

Seriously frustrating...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte