Cortana only doing bing searches

lemonsteveo

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, mines started to do that too, looks like server side issue. Ask: "what's the weather like?" Get a little beep and resorts to Bing.

Last edited:

Blake Currall

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
I'm in Oz so that may be the case, you can see when you ask for the weather there's a split second where it looks like it's going to the screen where she tells you the weather, then it cuts back to bing results

mrjamesmoore

Mar 5, 2013
Visit site
I'm having the exact same problem in my 920. I've changed my language & region to US if that makes a difference? I'm going to wait a few days before I try a reset as others are saying it's just MS tweaking the backend

noiprocs

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
No need for hard resets guys. Save yourself some extra headache, and just wait it out. After all, that's why Cortana is still in Beta.

See tweet here: https://twitter.com/doubleyewdee/status/456129714839515137

This is after Mary Jo Foley advised someone to do a reset. the guy is apparently an ms engineer, and confirmed that Cortana pulling up web searches instead of expected responses is a server side issue.

Well if it was (only) a server side issue, why can some people fix it by resetting their devices? Do you think the problem is that some handsets fail to connect to the servers for the initial setup and then won't try again unless you reset the phone which may lead to success at some point?

EDIT: It would be awkward though if retrying the initial setup only once led to success for so many people. So it does seem to be a client side problem for some devices with a certain state of the OS (e.g. some preferences that prevent Cortana to connect to the servers correctly).

BioticCharger

Mar 23, 2014
Visit site
But then how would you explain why my phone suddenly started having this issue? It was working fine yesterday, after the 8.1 update. I did not install any new apps or games, nor did I make any changes.

marratj

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
Yup, same problems since today, seems a lot like server side issue. That's why it's still beta.

Core commands like reminders still work or playing music still works, but any integration with third party apps currently does not.

ajayden

Feb 26, 2012
Visit site
I have tested the issue with weather and found the below:
If you search for anything else like "How much protein in Ham Sandwich" and after Cortana answers the query, if you ask "whats the weather like", it pulls the weather.

SailRacerX

Jan 17, 2012
Visit site
US user here. Put 8.1 on my Lumia 1020 on Monday. Cortana pretty much only does Bing searches for me. She'll tell me the weather, and how many grams of protein are in a ham sandwich; but not who her father is, and she certainly wont sing me a song.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077