Device manager not correct - showing old disconnected hard drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

dartveiga

Jan 29, 2020
Visit site
I had the very same problem. Upgraded my old C: drive Samsung 960 EVO 250GB for a 960 EVO PRO 500GB. Used Macrium for the migration. Windows 10 was still showing 250GB instead of 500GB... I did what was suggested. This is the system drive C:\ where Windows 10 is installed.

1) Opened Device Manager
2) Under Disk Drives I selected my SSD drive, right click and Uninstall Device.
3) Windows asked to reboot. Reboot!
4) Problem FIXED!

The reboot completed without a problem and after logging in to Windows I saw my correct drive displayed. No problems with BIOS or Windows.

Reactions: Translogic

FrostedFlames

Dec 18, 2020
Visit site
Hey BigSweeney, I know this thread is from such a long time ago, but I am facing the exact same "problem" now and just wanted to see if you found a fix for it; other than reinstalling the drive, since I aswell have my operating system on it.

I know it's not really a problem per say, but it is an inconvenience, because it prevents me from using a lot of features on the Samsung magician software, so if you found a fix, I would highly appreciated if you let me know :)

javocity

Dec 21, 2020
Visit site
Hi @FrostedFlames! I had the same problem with Windows 10 Device Manager. This was not a cloned drive nor was it a boot drive; it was just secondary storage. I simply removed the factory 1 TB hard drive from a new laptop and replaced it with an existing 2 TB drive. When I booted up the laptop, Device Manager displayed it as the old drive. Even after "scanning for hardware changes", Device Manager still showed the old drive.

I right-clicked the (incorrect) drive name in Device Manager and selected "Uninstall device". This made the device go away from the Device Manager list. I then right-clicked on "Disk drives" and selected "Scan for hardware changes". The correct drive now appears in Device Manager.

I'm no expert on Windows 10 and I obviously cannot guarantee that you will have the same results. I feel though that you might. Please let me (and this forum) know if you try it and it works for you.

By the way, this post from a Macrium forum may give you some confidence in trying this:

https://forum.macrium.com/23810/Dis...s-old-disk-name-after-cloning-and-replacement

Kind regards,

--- javocity

Translogic

Mar 23, 2023
Visit site
I had the very same problem. Upgraded my old C: drive Samsung 960 EVO 250GB for a 960 EVO PRO 500GB. Used Macrium for the migration. Windows 10 was still showing 250GB instead of 500GB... I did what was suggested. This is the system drive C:\ where Windows 10 is installed.

1) Opened Device Manager
2) Under Disk Drives I selected my SSD drive, right click and Uninstall Device.
3) Windows asked to reboot. Reboot!
4) Problem FIXED!

The reboot completed without a problem and after logging in to Windows I saw my correct drive displayed. No problems with BIOS or Windows.
I made an account to confirm this worked for me

I also used Macrium Reflect to clone a 500GB Samsung NVME SSD to a Samsung 2TB NVME SSD

Task manager was showing 500GB as you see from the image

Attachments

• ssd550gb.png
    ssd550gb.png
    28.5 KB · Views: 3
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members