Does anyone actually use the notifications center?

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
I understand using it for missed toast notifications or apps that aren't pinned. For those two purposes it is a clunky solution however. Rather than streamlining it for those two real issues, it was instead designed to appease those who can't leave behind Android/iOS habits.

Screwing up live tiles by using folders, and then relying on the notification centre to make up for no more than half of the lost functionality, is one example.

It's a think-inside-the-box half baked solution to WP's actual notification issues.

The quick access toggles are great though. That I think everyone agrees on. ;-)

Jcmg62

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
I use it every time I use the phone.....it's the first thing I look at when I pick my phone up (which, I must confess, is a helluva lot.....I'm addicted to my phone)

Notification centre and cortana are pretty much the only 8.1 changes worth discussing.....the rest is all....meh....

roni09riku

May 20, 2014
Visit site
I usually swipe it halfway to take a peek at the battery and check for notifications I may have missed. But I mostly use it to toggle wifi and bluetooth. It's pretty useful.

Yes, I could use Live Tiles for the wifi and bluetooth. But with the notification center, I only need to tap it once. When I arrive home, I simply tap the wifi and it automatically connects to my router. I used to have a Live tile for that but it only brings me to the wifi menu, so I still have to tap the slider to toggle it. Same goes with bluetooth, I use that for my headset.

jleebiker

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
It is a MUCH needed ability in WP. Even if you don't use it for social media apps, you can route just about every app's notices here. Personally, I would never want to go back to NOT having it.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
I'm amazed at how much WP users like the notification center, considering it's a blatant copy of Android. Microsoft didn't even try to disguise it!

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
I'm amazed at how much WP users like the notification center, considering it's a blatant copy of Android. Microsoft didn't even try to disguise it!

Hey, take that back! The part about WP users liking it I mean (at least not all)... ;-)

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site

I disagree. I think the WP8.1 Notification Center is much more minimalistic and much less clunky than it's Android counterpart.

TonyDedrick

Dec 8, 2011
Visit site

It might just be a case of people not really caring. The only people I see caring are folks who dislike Android for whatever reason.

Jan Tomsic

May 8, 2013
Visit site
I use it all the time, mostly to know if I have to act upon the notification, if I see the email is spam, I won't bother opening the email app to check it. Before I had to.
I also use it to set brightness. Notification center is awesome. And it lets me know when apps updated so I can go inspect new features.

Donny James

Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
One of the biggest new features of WP8.1 that I see everyone touting is the notification center; however, I have to confess that the only way I have ever used it is the quick-access buttons at the top. I don't use any social media, which may help with this, but even when I used an iPhone I never found myself using the notification center. In fact when I moved to WP8, the live tiles were more than enough to fulfill those needs of mine. Even for the access buttons, I thought (pre dev release) it would be cool to pin a setting to the Start Menu in the form of a tile, and activate it simply by pressing; without having to go into the actual setting menu like the 3rd party apps had you do. And even if I used social media, I figure the people hub integration would fulfill that for me anyway. So how extensively do y'all actually use it, and why is it more useful than the live tiles? Is there any advantage to it I might ought to try?

All your email updates go there and updated app, txt messages. Its still very useful even without social media. It much easier to pull down the notification center and view email previews on the lock screen than to unlock your phone find the email tile. Check to see if you have any unread emails. Open the email app and then open an unread email. With the notification center you get a short preview quick and easy. And you can clear away anything you don't care about right now. The Notification center is a must for any and all smart phones.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786