Does anyone actually use the notifications center?

ShreyansShah

Aug 12, 2013
Visit site
I under use it because it lacks functionalities indeed. The Android one is in constant use because it offers me quick access to a ton of apps and i can swap and change functions at will without having to enter menus and submenus. The WP one is once again an incomplete version of the real thing

i accept the notification center is not customizable and limited in functionality. but, it does not mean it's an incomplete version. u feel that way, because u r comparing with something. try not to compare.

thebcooper

Feb 11, 2014
Visit site
I use it, and it is useful, but it really could do with more lines on the notifications. As is, I get part of a sentence normally on any notification. That's really not good UX, because it means often times I still have to open whatever app it is just to see if it really was important or not. Helpful at the most basic level though for knowing what apps I have missed a notification for though, and who from.
Quick toggles are still not brilliant either, even disabling wifi requires a launch of the application, taking you out of wherever you were. Yes, I know it lets you specify a certain time as to when to turn wifi back on (which is cool), but it breaks the flow of having a "quick" toggle, especially with the iffy multitasking/resuming of applications where you left off. (holding the back button to multitasking, or tapping the back button until you get there)

thron

Apr 29, 2014
Visit site
I use the notifications center multiple times a day. It's existence also allowed me to cleanup my start page. Less important apps are tucked away in the swipe screen, allowing the start page to be clean with only important apps.

Jan 30, 2014
Visit site
i accept the notification center is not customizable and limited in functionality. but, it does not mean it's an incomplete version. u feel that way, because u r comparing with something. try not to compare.

A) It's hard not to compare when you are used to more efficient solutions
B) Even without comparing when you have to access sub menus to activate/deactivate functions (wifi for example) it's not a really functional Notification Center
C) When on top of A and B you can't really pick a wide choice of functions scroll, move around without, again, entering a dedicated menu you're working with an incomplete solution. It's not just different. It's lacking

So it's two factors at play. You can't throw stuff that's subpar on the market when all others have already something better (but your devices cost like top end devices despite their shortcomings) and second, even without comparing the action center is not fully functional, for what i need (but i admit i am picky.....on the other hand i think anyone settling for less when you spend 700 euros for a device that even lacks a proper keyboard in some languages is not smart). A bit off topic. The whole experience on WP feels "Incomplete, fragmented and detached". Drop in market share reflects that, too.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
I guess I'm a unique person here, but that may be partially due to my situation. I'm indifferent to the notification center, I was happy with the live tiles, the toggle switches I'm all for though. I always wanted that. If they can just get it so that GPS turns on and off automatically with map apps I'd be in heaven.

On top of that (I'm in the UK) Cortana is currently pointless for me and I can't rave about it because it's not fully functional here. I also don't see myself talking to my phone and asking it questions in public however. Nor do I care if it says my name correctly. I do travel a lot so I'm hoping once it's functional here it will become more interesting but at this stage I'm indifferent.

Majority of the WP8.1 didn't do much for me in general. It's nice but that's about it.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Can't live without the notification centre and have developed a habit :amaze:, last weekend was out with a mate who was looking for an tariff upgrade and during the hands on demo of the windows phone on display at the O2 store in Westfield I only realised that was constantly swiping down from the top to close from the multitasking menu and for the notification centre. After My friend went wtf??? are you doing lol (also did get some weird looks from the floor staff).

So I showed him my 920 running WP 8.1 DP (before I could finish explaining it was a developer preview release) his instant remark why aren't these sales people doing their job in updating these phones!
After which my very annoyed mate walked straight out in a huff clutching my 920, needless to say I was a bit taken aback and embarrassed from his loud out burst as all the staff with-in earshot gave us dirty looks haha. If my lock screen had not kicked in I have no doubt he would have walked all the way out of Westfield before he calmed down.

crystal_planet

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
A) It's hard not to compare when you are used to more efficient solutions
B) Even without comparing when you have to access sub menus to activate/deactivate functions (wifi for example) it's not a really functional Notification Center
C) When on top of A and B you can't really pick a wide choice of functions scroll, move around without, again, entering a dedicated menu you're working with an incomplete solution. It's not just different. It's lacking

So it's two factors at play. You can't throw stuff that's subpar on the market when all others have already something better (but your devices cost like top end devices despite their shortcomings) and second, even without comparing the action center is not fully functional, for what i need (but i admit i am picky.....on the other hand i think anyone settling for less when you spend 700 euros for a device that even lacks a proper keyboard in some languages is not smart). A bit off topic. The whole experience on WP feels "Incomplete, fragmented and detached". Drop in market share reflects that, too.

First off, just because your experience with it has you thinking it's lacking doesn't make it a universal truth. To me it does exactly what it's supposed to do - notifies me. It tells me that there is an email from amazon but doesn't give me details - so I choose not to unlock my phone to read it - it's not important enough for me to do so. Thus it's a "Notification Center" - not a "Shortcut to opening my emails without unlocking my phone Center"

But if it doesn't work for you - that's cool too. It sounds like you are unhappy with the WP experience; which is also fine - it's not made for everyone. And it sounds like you really enjoy the Android experience - maybe you should go back to it.

Joe920

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I use it to see automatic app updates. Everything else is better on tiles for me.

That, and an app like SofaScore can show you match updates without having to open the app, and without always needing a giant tile on the home screen. I rarely open the app, just check the notifications as they come in.

I used to need it for updates on tiles that were not at the top of the start screen, but with my new giant 1520, basically all tiles are at the top. :smile:

Ankit Nawlakha

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
One of the biggest new features of WP8.1 that I see everyone touting is the notification center; however, I have to confess that the only way I have ever used it is the quick-access buttons at the top. I don't use any social media, which may help with this, but even when I used an iPhone I never found myself using the notification center. In fact when I moved to WP8, the live tiles were more than enough to fulfill those needs of mine. Even for the access buttons, I thought (pre dev release) it would be cool to pin a setting to the Start Menu in the form of a tile, and activate it simply by pressing; without having to go into the actual setting menu like the 3rd party apps had you do. And even if I used social media, I figure the people hub integration would fulfill that for me anyway. So how extensively do y'all actually use it, and why is it more useful than the live tiles? Is there any advantage to it I might ought to try?

I use Notification center more than i've ever imagined!

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
What is wrong with adding power steering, four wheels and a sun roof, when you're trying to build a plane?

To use your analogy, Microsoft is not trying build a plane. They are trying to build a better car. They need power steering, four wheels, and a sun roof. WP's notification center is four wheels with the brakes dragging, or a sun roof that doesn't open.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon