Does anyone actually use the notifications center?

mozman68

Dec 29, 2013
Visit site
My favorite time to use it is during my commute (while stopped at a red light of course).

I can utilize Waze during my commute and simply see if there is a new notification from the top symbol. Since I have the 1520, a quick swipe down while I'm stopped let's me see what emails or calls have come in. If important enough, I can stop and respond. If not, I just multi-finger swipe to the right to clear them all and can then just look for the symbol at the top again to see if any new ones come in.

I use it all the time...never did that with the one in iOS.

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
I'm amazed at how much WP users like the notification center, considering it's a blatant copy of Android. Microsoft didn't even try to disguise it!

Well, the main reason I like it is simply because I can't and don't have all my apps pinned to the Start Screen and missing a toast notification from an unpinned app made it a nightmare to find out which app it came from. The Action Centre keeps all those notifications in one place so I can action them when ever I want, not when the phone wants me to.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Well, the main reason I like it is simply because I can't and don't have all my apps pinned to the Start Screen and missing a toast notification from an unpinned app made it a nightmare to find out which app it came from. The Action Centre keeps all those notifications in one place so I can action them when ever I want, not when the phone wants me to.

Yes you're correct, and I agree 100%. What I was referring to was how until now, WP purists said that a notification center was unnecessary because "we have Live Tiles!" Now that WP actually has the notification center, it's the slickest thing since sliced bread, and it makes up for where Live Tiles fall short. Why the double standard?

mozman68

Dec 29, 2013
Visit site
But there is info that I get on live tiles that I don't necessarily get in the notification center...like the Cortana live tile...

Plus, as I and some others stated above, I COULD get the info from the live tiles, but I can't always see all of them at the same time and in certain situations (like I only have a second to see all notifications) that the notification center is better. Not to mention the access to the action buttons and battery percentage.

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
Yes you're correct, and I agree 100%. What I was referring to was how until now, WP purists said that a notification center was unnecessary because "we have Live Tiles!" Now that WP actually has the notification center, it's the slickest thing since sliced bread, and it makes up for where Live Tiles fall short. Why the double standard?

I used to be like that but the Action Centre makes notifications easier to handle. In terms of a double standard, iOS users are just as bad.

jomarr

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site

They never said it was unnecessary instead it was just an added extra since Live Tiles works great. Also I only saw unanimous praise for a notification center when it was announced. Is it needed? Well, not really. Is it a welcome addition? Of course it is.

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
I use it but sometimes glance screen makes the notification center redundant. It's still useful though, especially for the times I get a notification while I'm in another app. I can quickly get to the message from the notification center.

poken1151

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Well, call me one of the few then? I use it every time I get a notification. I don't know how many tiles everyone has pinned, but I don't like pinning everything. That said, it's serving it's purpose. It's catching all the stuff I don't pin so when I'm away from my device I see the notifications from my little used but nice to know apps.

Lync messenger? There.
A few games? Yup.
And more.

So for me it's working, though yea, it's a basic implementation. Collapsible/scrolling items, and a slightly better toggle section. Even if they don't touch those, this is perfectly fine for me for now.

barbaram

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Yes, I use it. I don't do the social media thing, so I didn't think it would be of much use, but I spend a lot of time where the calendar has me as "busy" and so on Quiet time. I check the notification center when ever I have a chance to see what I've missed

mjrtoo

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
Huh? Of course, it's the only place you can see some of them if you miss the toast. Like Cortana notifications for instance..m

Jan 30, 2014
Visit site
One of the biggest new features of WP8.1 that I see everyone touting is the notification center; however, I have to confess that the only way I have ever used it is the quick-access buttons at the top. I don't use any social media, which may help with this, but even when I used an iPhone I never found myself using the notification center. In fact when I moved to WP8, the live tiles were more than enough to fulfill those needs of mine. Even for the access buttons, I thought (pre dev release) it would be cool to pin a setting to the Start Menu in the form of a tile, and activate it simply by pressing; without having to go into the actual setting menu like the 3rd party apps had you do. And even if I used social media, I figure the people hub integration would fulfill that for me anyway. So how extensively do y'all actually use it, and why is it more useful than the live tiles? Is there any advantage to it I might ought to try?

I under use it because it lacks functionalities indeed. The Android one is in constant use because it offers me quick access to a ton of apps and i can swap and change functions at will without having to enter menus and submenus. The WP one is once again an incomplete version of the real thing

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte