Hey Microsoft!!! Fix your Surface Book before it dies!

AbsoluteZerow

Jan 17, 2012
Visit site
I'm not sure what update it was, but my Surface Book has been running great since updating it yesterday. Anyone else having similar results with the latest rounds of Windows updates?

Dec 9, 2011
Visit site
Windows 10 has been out how long? Skylake laptops and tablets have been on sale for how long? Windows Hello has been available to other devices for how long? I have never had an issue with the undocking button, the only truly unique element to the Surface Book. If I were having one issue, a small issue, chalk it up to "early adopter". The reality is that I have had better out of the box experiences with every brand new product that I have pre-ordered, much cheaper products where I would give more latitude, than I have had with the Surface Book.

The Book is marketed as "THE ULTIMATE LAPTOP". I shouldn't be expected to disable Hello or force hibernation to not kill my battery when not using it. I shouldn't be forgiving about getting half the claimed battery life. I shouldn't have to use another browser besides the OSes default to keep from having display crashes. I shouldn't hear audio pops. I shouldn't need to disable Hyper-V. I shouldn't have to disable pinch to zoom to scroll in the browser that replaced the default browser that caused issues. I shouldn't have to justify dissatisfaction with other enthusiasts.

Workarounds aren't fixes. We are the premium customers for Microsoft's hardware division. I expected better. Sorry if that is such an offensive concept.

AbsoluteZerow

Jan 17, 2012
Visit site
Absolutely not. The OS and Surface Book have a lot of maturing to do before I would ever recommend it to friends and family. I always recommend Apple products because they simply work. And even if issues do arise, all they have to do is take it to the Apple store and it will get resolved. I think people forget about the ease of the Apple store, that is a huge selling point to most non techie people. That they can simply take it to the Apple store to get issues resolved. You buy a Windows laptop from Lenovo, Dell, HP, etc. You have to send it in, and it will take WEEKS to get fixed. You take a MacBook to an Apple store that is still under Apple Care, almost always you leave with a replacement device or get yours back within a weeks time.

As for the Surface Book, in my opinion, its not ready for mainstream. Maybe by the time Surface Book 2 comes around it will be.

enixon

Feb 16, 2013
Visit site
Absolutely not. The OS and Surface Book have a lot of maturing to do before I would ever recommend it to friends and family. I always recommend Apple products because they simply work. And even if issues do arise, all they have to do is take it to the Apple store and it will get resolved. I think people forget about the ease of the Apple store, that is a huge selling point to most non techie people. That they can simply take it to the Apple store to get issues resolved. You buy a Windows laptop from Lenovo, Dell, HP, etc. You have to send it in, and it will take WEEKS to get fixed. You take a MacBook to an Apple store that is still under Apple Care, almost always you leave with a replacement device or get yours back within a weeks time.

As for the Surface Book, in my opinion, its not ready for mainstream. Maybe by the time Surface Book 2 comes around it will be.

There are Microsoft Stores around the world. They are few and far between, but they are there.

Not all Apple products "simply work". They have just as many issues as other major technology brands. When they launch a product, they usually have an initial firmware update, and then usually another update about a week to a month afterwards. This will be the same thing with the Book. You will see an update in the next week or so addressing everyone's issues.

Priaptor

Oct 31, 2015
Visit site
I have had an i7/8gig/256 delivered to my home since 10/26 and have not had one issue being listed. Since there are so many who are having issues and others not, this must be more than just a "software fix". It doesn't make sense that some of us need a software fix and others with the same exact machine are not experiencing the issues. I wonder if batches delivered to physical Microsoft Stores are different than those shipped direct to customers

Dec 9, 2011
Visit site
I have had an i7/8gig/256 delivered to my home since 10/26 and have not had one issue being listed. Since there are so many who are having issues and others not, this must be more than just a "software fix". It doesn't make sense that some of us need a software fix and others with the same exact machine are not experiencing the issues. I wonder if batches delivered to physical Microsoft Stores are different than those shipped direct to customers
More and more, I am convinced I'll wait a bit and then get this one exchanged.

I love this hardware. It is amazing. But all the compromises right now...

Priaptor

Oct 31, 2015
Visit site
More and more, I am convinced I'll wait a bit and then get this one exchanged.

I love this hardware. It is amazing. But all the compromises right now...

Yeah I still have my fingers crossed, had a tiny flickering of my screen day one, immediately fixed by the original software/hardware update and have had no issues since. I have gone through 4 battery charges worth of using the thing, with quicken/excel/photoshop/Lightroom for hours and so far so good. No issue in unlatching, etc. Unlike my Surface 3, Wireless AC is working like a charm connecting to all networks. I have not had a blue screen or any hue issues with the screen. Now that I posted this, I am sure this is the kiss of death for me and no doubt the machine will start acting up on me. This is just what happened to me with an EOS camera years ago.

I do hope it all gets worked out as I really like the setup.

quixote2

Oct 31, 2015
Visit site
I have an i5/256/8 SB on order and have been reading of the trials and tribulations. First, thread contributors should specify if they have an i5 or an i7. Thinking that some problems may be related to device failure, I have hypothezied that the software glitch in the graphics that results in no sleep power cut-back is the underlying root cause of the device failures. If the computer is assembled with a fully charged battery to check operation at the factory and is then packaged in an insulating cardboard package and then bundled on a pallet with hundreds more, the overheating while setting on the pallet and fully discharging the battery will result in excessive heat (fan or no fan). This excessive heat and temperature could damage the processor and/or contacts resulting in various degrees of operation failure. It also appears to me that the i7 processor is more sensitive to excess heat than the i5 processor. Thus the preponderance of i7 problem reports.

Just conjecture on my part, but something to think about....

elindalyne

Aug 1, 2015
Visit site
The Surfacebook launched 5 days ago and the majority of launch issues are being resolved. iOS9 bricked phones with no resolution for 2-3 weeks (?).

Things will be fixed, the hardware is still far better than anything else on the market, just give it time.

Dec 9, 2011
Visit site
The Surfacebook launched 5 days ago and the majority of launch issues are being resolved. iOS9 bricked phones with no resolution for 2-3 weeks (?).

Things will be fixed, the hardware is still far better than anything else on the market, just give it time.

So my retort to the iOS9 issues is that the Surface line is Microsoft's vision for how to use Windows 10, not an older handset getting new features.

enixon

Feb 16, 2013
Visit site
So my retort to the iOS9 issues is that the Surface line is Microsoft's vision for how to use Windows 10, not an older handset getting new features.
What about the fact that every single iPhone 6S Plus is defective from the factory? If you are unfamiliar, there are clips that hold something behind the LCD screen that are too close to the LCD and leave a tiny imperfection on the screen in the lower left corner. It only affects the 6S Plus models, but it affects every single one of them since launch. Apple has not made an announcement they were defective, nor have they said anything to anyone who has purchased one. If you would like to see some of the evidence, just visit MacRumors. I also had an iPhone 6S Plus, which was exchanged three times for the same thing before I just returned it.

MOST people won't see it or can't see it, but it is a defect. :)

elindalyne

Aug 1, 2015
Visit site
My point was every product ever has some issues with release. The software defects present in the Surfacebook 5 days after release can and will be fixed. It's not like these are systemic hardware issues that will never get resolved like the Macbook screen peeling is/was.

Reaction the the Surface book is still overwhelmingly positive. For every person complaining there are 100 other people satisfied.

ytrewq

May 22, 2014
Visit site
Windows 10 has been out how long? Skylake laptops and tablets have been on sale for how long? Windows Hello has been available to other devices for how long? I have never had an issue with the undocking button, the only truly unique element to the Surface Book. If I were having one issue, a small issue, chalk it up to "early adopter".

The title to your thread was about the Surface Book. Your OP was about the Surface Book. The Surface Book is a new product, so you are an early adopter, and you are the unreasonable one if you don't anticipate you may run into problems as an early adopter. If you aren't smart enough to get that, then you should definitely return the Surface Book and buy a box of crayons instead. You will be much happier.

NoLongerMSFanboy

Oct 31, 2015
Visit site
Bought Pro 1 on launch day, took almost 1 year of updates to get wi-fi to work properly; now the internal fan makes a grinding noise when heats up, which is every time you do something more significant.
Bought Surface 2 and after 7 months would not boot, replaced under warranty, it just died again with just 3 weeks outside of warranty and MS charges double the cost of buying a refurbished from ebay.
As well abandoned the MS phones after quite a few unfulfilled promises; Samsung Focus, Lumia 521 and 925.
So, right now I don't really trust MS to build quality hardware, but I do have to agree they look very sexy.
Corporations will eventually pick them up and will force MS to do a better job, until then MS is off limits for me so sticking with Nexus devices for home and regular laptops for business.
Hope this helps...

Dec 9, 2011
Visit site
The title to your thread was about the Surface Book. Your OP was about the Surface Book. The Surface Book is a new product, so you are an early adopter, and you are the unreasonable one if you don't anticipate you may run into problems as an early adopter. If you aren't smart enough to get that, then you should definitely return the Surface Book and buy a box of crayons instead. You will be much happier.
A) Not my thread.
B) Gladly trade you my flickering, driver crashing, battery killing Book for yours, granted it is running without compromise.

I want this to be my only computer in the worst way, but since I didn't spend your money, I get to react how I want. I have invested a ton of time with driver hacks, resets, recoveries, attempted workarounds, but after several failed attempts to get it right, get it where I wasn't sacrificing, I saw the charge on my card and changed course. This thing is expensive. I would expect the registry hack bug for better wifi performance on certain routers as an early adopter. But not being able to use the default browser or have multiple driver crashes a day or turn off several key features? Not cool.

If I go into the office tomorrow, I'll be checking in at the store to get a replacement. If that one flakes, I'll be getting a refund. I'm lucky to work near a Microsoft store. I do greatly appreciate the customer service at the stores. Hoping to get in on a newer i7, like for like. But may punt and go with an i5.

Devhux

Feb 4, 2008
Visit site
I have an i5/256/8 SB on order and have been reading of the trials and tribulations. First, thread contributors should specify if they have an i5 or an i7. Thinking that some problems may be related to device failure, I have hypothezied that the software glitch in the graphics that results in no sleep power cut-back is the underlying root cause of the device failures. If the computer is assembled with a fully charged battery to check operation at the factory and is then packaged in an insulating cardboard package and then bundled on a pallet with hundreds more, the overheating while setting on the pallet and fully discharging the battery will result in excessive heat (fan or no fan). This excessive heat and temperature could damage the processor and/or contacts resulting in various degrees of operation failure. It also appears to me that the i7 processor is more sensitive to excess heat than the i5 processor. Thus the preponderance of i7 problem reports.

Just conjecture on my part, but something to think about....

Not true at all! The laptops would be powered off - not put in Sleep Mode. Thus, they wouldn't be running

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

Cata Marius

Oct 13, 2015
Visit site
Hi guys. Is there any way to repair a corrupted or overwritten bookmarks.html chrome file? I did exported this file from Google Chrome on my computer but I accidentally forgot to save it somewhere safe before formatting my hdd and reinstalling a new os because of this windows 10 problems. Now I recovered the html file but when I try to open it I can only see null numbers and letters. What can I do to get my bookmarks back.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Reiana S.