Hey Microsoft!!! Fix your Surface Book before it dies!

WillysJeepMan

Aug 7, 2008
Visit site
Microsoft will fix it, guaranteed. May take some time, but be patient and use the very good device you purchased and trust they will fix it. Their track record is actually pretty good.
Their track record being "pretty good" is subjective. It took quite a while for Microsoft to squash some of the bugs with previous generations of Surface devices. I do not believe it is wise advice to "trust" a company (any company) to fix a product that is shipped with defects that aren't resolved.

Every person experiencing issues with the Surface Book must weigh their experience with it, how much they are impacted by the issues, determine if they are willing to live with those issues for a week, month, 6 months, or the life of the device, the benefits they are deriving from it in its current state, and weigh all of that against the price they paid.

If it doesn't add up, return it. Wait 6 months and re-evaluate.

In the past, the Surface was pretty shaky stability-wise. After being severely bitten by one of the chronic issues, I got rid of it. A year later, the platform was mature and bought another. The ownership experience this go-round has been terrific. Life is too short to have to wrestle with things that don't work. Unless someone is being financially compensated by Microsoft to defend them, it makes no sense to take a company's side over a customer's.

diktea

May 6, 2013
Visit site
I have not seen the SB nor am in any position to buy it.
But as OP has said. i totally agree with the pain of getting a premium product which turn our to be a nightmare.
if i had bought i would have totally freaked out too.

As a windows supporter, i really feel bad that there is such a widespread problem and that too on their premium product. For veteran windows users one is more tolerant,but thinking of the uphill battle with other products, the newbies getting frustrated over these things will be really a minus point.

Hope Microsoft fix it (I doubt though) . WAITING ...... again will be the story

rkrams

Jul 28, 2015
Visit site
There's nothing wrong with people who spent a solid 2000 bucks and not having a satisfactory experience having a heart felt rant.

History says they often reach the important ears faster than the pretty little report buttons

TMorss

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
There's nothing wrong with people who spent a solid 2000 bucks and not having a satisfactory experience having a heart felt rant.

History says they often reach the important ears faster than the pretty little report buttons

I agree. After an hour on the phone with support one restore and a dozen reboots I am returning my Surface Book. It has way too many issues. This device was not ready for prime time. When I spend 2k on a machine it has to work.

dwigfor

Mar 2, 2013
Visit site
I had a lot of problems when Surface Pro 2 came out. Finally wanted a Microsoft computer running Microsoft OS. Should work flawless....

kingjah

Nov 14, 2013
Visit site
I got this message every time I picked up my Lenovo Yoga 2 Tablet after I upgraded to Windows 10. If was so frustrating running repairs and resets every time I just shelved it. Later I enrolled in the Windows Insider program and opted for the slow ring updates. I am now on build 10565 and the thing works better then with 8.1.

jasbur

Oct 22, 2015
Visit site
I don't care how good of a track record Microsoft or any other company has.
If the problems aren't fixed by the end of the return window, it's going back.
I'm not risking my money on faith and I'm not doing work-arounds to fix problems that shouldn't be there.
All this talk of us being early adopters and we should expect this are BS.

CygnusOrion

Oct 6, 2015
Visit site
I agree. After an hour on the phone with support one restore and a dozen reboots I am returning my Surface Book. It has way too many issues. This device was not ready for prime time. When I spend 2k on a machine it has to work.

If only every single Surface Book owner that is having issues would return it, than MS would get the message that this is NOT ok.

CygnusOrion

Oct 6, 2015
Visit site
Finally!! Someone with some sense in this thread! This whole thing makes me think of the time my mom purchased the first generation of the new VW Beetle. That thing cost at least 10 times what this does, and that thing had problems for years. Electrical problems, switchgear problems, engine problems. Did VW fix it in a week? (Or to be fair, within 10 weeks) Nope, it took her years to get that thing trouble free. VW tried some new techniques and technologies that didn't quite work out. Doesn't mean it wasn't a bad product, just that they do what they can to fix it.

Microsoft will fix it, guaranteed. May take some time, but be patient and use the very good device you purchased and trust they will fix it. Their track record is actually pretty good.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

Did the original Macbook Air have these issues? I bet not.

Yonic Boom

Jan 29, 2014
Visit site
Any consumer product produced at scale will have issues. There is no such thing as a flawless launch.

The question is whether those issues occur within an acceptable range, which we still do not know, and whether the company responds to those issues in an appropriate and timely matter.

ytrewq

May 22, 2014
Visit site

Any first generation product has issues. From Wikipedia's page on MacBook Air:

"Following its introduction, the MacBook Air was greeted with a mixed reception. The portability of the MacBook Air was praised in reviews, but the compromise in features was criticized.[89][90][91] The full-sized keyboard, weight, thinness, and Multi-Touch trackpad were appreciated in reviews, while the limited configuration options and ports, slow speed (in non-SSD models), non-user-replaceable battery, small hard drive, and price were criticized.[89][90] The flip-down hatch on the side of the original MacBook Air is a tight fit for some headphone plugs and USB devices, requiring users to purchase an extension cable. Apple removed the flip-down hatch on the late 2010 model in favor of open connection ports, as is the case with most other laptops.[92][93]

"Most of these problems have been dismissed by now, following many revisions and speed enhancements, and with the addition of more portability and ports.

"Since the release of the first-generation product, some MacBook Air users have complained of CPU lockup caused by overheating. Apple released a software update in early March 2008 to fix the problem with mixed results: the deactivation of one CPU core was corrected; however, the runaway kernel problem remained for some users.[94] The problem is aggravated by system-intensive tasks such as video playback or video chatting.[95]

"Due to a more mature manufacturing process, the CPUs in the second-generation MacBook Air perform better under load, as the first generation chips ran at a higher temperature—the processor needed to be throttled to avoid overheating and this further degraded performance.[96]

"On October 17, 2013, Apple announced a replacement programme for the 64 GB and 128 GB MacBook Air flash storage drives that are installed in Air systems purchased between June 2012 and June 2013.[97]"

ytrewq

May 22, 2014
Visit site
A) I want this to be my only computer in the worst way, but since I didn't spend your money, I get to react how I want.

You are absolutely right about that. If you aren't happy with the product and aren't willing to wait out the fixes, you should return it, and that is a completely legitimate response.

My only critique is that you are upset. Obviously you are entitled to feel how you feel. But if you're the type of person who gets upset when buying a first-day-released product and it turns out to have bugs, I'm simply suggesting that you re-evaluate whether you are the type of person who would be happier waiting to purchase brand new tech products for a few months until the manufacturer has worked out the bugs. Your call.

Good luck either way you go.

Hardcore1973

Dec 3, 2013
Visit site
My i5/256/dgpu model base died. I cannot power the base, keyboard doesn't work, and neither does touchpad. You also cannot detach the base. Going to go to a Microsoft store tomorrow and see if I can swap it out for a new one. Hopefully they will have stock for people that are having issues.

Dec 9, 2011
Visit site
You are absolutely right about that. If you aren't happy with the product and aren't willing to wait out the fixes, you should return it, and that is a completely legitimate response.

My only critique is that you are upset. Obviously you are entitled to feel how you feel. But if you're the type of person who gets upset when buying a first-day-released product and it turns out to have bugs, I'm simply suggesting that you re-evaluate whether you are the type of person who would be happier waiting to purchase brand new tech products for a few months until the manufacturer has worked out the bugs. Your call.

Good luck either way you go.
In all honesty, I am not really upset with Microsoft. I understand that I could have a faulty Book. A ton of other people have the same issues. But I am upset for sure with the apologists that haven't spent the money to have these issues. So, I do apologize if I was direct of combative, but no excuses.

Again, if I were just applying a registry edit for better wifi performance? Cool. That is early adopter stuff. Just being able to use the included web browser or key features without several compromises? Nah.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Freshly built million dollar houses sometimes have roof leaks, it happens. The mark of a good company is how it reacts to the problems.

rohitharsh

Mar 16, 2012
Visit site
I was expecting these issues. This is first device from a totally new manufacturing line. As long as they fix it through software update it should be all good.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ReynoGills