How do you type?

toddpart

Jul 17, 2004
Visit site
New to WP7 with my new 900. I'm curious to hear how everyone types on theirs. I'm a long time physical kb user (Pre and BB 9810) so this is obviously different. My real question is do you type in portrait or landscape? All in all I like the virtual keyboard, but I find the 900 awkward to type on in portrait. The device is a bit long and thus top heavy I think. Plus it's so thin I can't hold the bottom and type. Unless I rest it on 3 fingers of each hand I can't free up my thumbs without fear of dropping. Unlike my Berry or pre which I could hold between my index fingers and thumbs and fly. Landscape typing on the 900 is a joy. Loving this device, just curious how others are doing this.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

RiseAgainst94

Mar 5, 2012
Visit site
I use portrait and throw my right pinky under the device. Kind of odd really, was never a fan of the sharp corners on the device, but the auto correct is so dam good it hardly matters how many mistakes I make.

Dave Blake

Mod and Ambassador Team Emeritus
Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
Landscape for long messages but for a quick note or to enter an email addy or password I just suffer through hen pecking with one finger in portrait

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Portrait or landscape with both hands cradling device while I type with my thumbs.

ninjaap

Dec 10, 2008
Visit site
Portrait with both pinkies supporting the bottom. My thumbs trample away like a racehorse. Then go back and tap on any words that needs to be corrected, after I'm done, right before I send.

freestaterocker

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
Portrait always. I have an HD7, but it's the same screen size. I put my pinkie(s) underneath and other fingers on the back. I use it one-handed most of the time, except for longer stuff (like this post) or when speed matters.

toddpart

Jul 17, 2004
Visit site
Sounds like I need to practice with this 'pinkies under the bottom' method, thanks for the suggestions/comments.

NicholasCL

Apr 15, 2012
Visit site
I'm glad you started this thread because I'm having typing issues. I'm almost strictly landscape typer except for short texts but when I'm in landscape almost every time I hit the "N" key I somehow either hit space bar or the "." It sometimes happens with the other bottom row keys but almost always with the "N" which is really annoying. Maybe my phone has a problem or my thumbs need to go on a diet. I'm probably just going to have to get used to it or hold my phone a little different.

ItsDon

Apr 16, 2012
Visit site
Portrait mode when I have to type but for the most part I just talk to it. The voice transcription is eerily accurate.

cj-m

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
thumbs? :0

i envy you thumb typists! i also have to hen peck with the tip of my finger or else what should take a few seconds becomes a high blood pressure shouting at the kb act which takes a little longer :D

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb