How to access the Surface RT from another Windows machine (enable sharing)

meathead88

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
Quick to enable file sharing on Windows 8 RT (Surface):

1. Open the desktop mode
2. Open Explorer
3. Right click on "Computer" and choose "Manage"
4. Expand "Services and Applications"
5. Select "Services"
6. Find the "Server" service and double click it to open.
7. Change the Startup type to "Automatic" or "Automatic (Delayed Start)
8. Click "OK"
9. Right click on the Server service and choose "Start"

You can then make shares as if on a normal Windows 8 PC. This also seems to give Libraries the option to share as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: kane4fire

NickA

Dec 26, 2010
Visit site
I support this message

Me too. Been trying to get this to work for a couple days now. Glad someone posted the question, and it got answered.

Tips like this should be a sticky. I know it's going to come up again and it would be so easy to point someone to the sticky instead of searching through posts.

Digital Moe

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for answering my question jwelhouse.

You say you can now make shares I still don't have this option, is it done a different way on the surface? When I right click a folder there is no sharing tab.

VagrantWade

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for answering my question jwelhouse.

You say you can now make shares I still don't have this option, is it done a different way on the surface? When I right click a folder there is no sharing tab.

After doing the above, I can make folders shareable. I even have the option to "share with" right right clicking on something. You can also right click > properties.

Make sure you actually started the service also not just turned it to automatic.

Digital Moe

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
Gee guess what i forgot to do yep restart the device now I have redirected the libraries to the mounted media card and then shared the folders on there so I should be able to drop files right onto the media card.

TanaN

Oct 5, 2015
Visit site
I thought it was super simple. I enabled the server service, started it a and restarted. Shared a folder, then went to another computer and tried to access the folder. It asks for me to sign in and will not take any Microsoft Account login or a local account login.

Anyone know how to do this properly. Is there something I'm missing?

djshadow21922

Nov 25, 2016
Visit site
Wow!!!! Thanks Dude. If i could send a million thank yous and hugs i would. Hope you and everyone else had a happy thanksgiving as this sure made my week. years of not figuring it out and i finally came across someone who knew what they were talking about,. THANKS!!!!!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786