How to check and force a Windows 10 upgrade

Jason Villeda

Jul 25, 2013
Visit site
the $WINDOWS.~BT reappeared.

So i had uninstalled that Kb update and then $WINDOWS.~BT showed up again. But it's only like 5kb and it's been like ten minutes and it's the same size and it's not growing. The KB update showed up again so I re-installed it. Still no downloading going on...

Tempest790

Oct 3, 2004
Visit site
Spoke too soon.

Just rebooted and now get a blue screen of death!!! Cannot get my computer up. Gonna try to to fix it with the ISO.

This is very frustrating.

Raghu84

Feb 26, 2015
Visit site
I guess the size of the folder should be close to 5.67 GB. I have the same win8.1 Pro version and the folder size of $Windows~BT folder is 5.67GB. Please wait for some more time as download is not done at one shot.. Cheers..

Partha Pratim Seal

Jan 26, 2015
Visit site
I have an HP Pavilion dv6 laptop which meets all the eligibility to upgrade to Win 10 (Graphics, RAM, Processor, Win 7 Home Basic SP)
But during the rollout of Get Windows 10 app I had to install it manually & Reserved.
At the Check your pc section it showed "The report isn't available..".... and still showing...
There is a folder named $WINDOWS.~BT in my C drive. But it has no installation files just few files total of 32kb...
What is going on?

MUKESH BAJPAI

Jul 29, 2015
Visit site
im an insider but i had not installed the priview but now i dont get any update ,i also tried to manually trigger it but that doesnt help.
can someone guide to how to get the update

Phone Guy 4567

Dec 24, 2012
Visit site
This update is pathetic.

2.6 gigs downloaded; followed by failed installation, followed by I can't run the setup file in the Windows.~BT folder as I get an error. I'm suppose to waste another 2.6 gigs, $%#$% hell.

MAIL OUT DVD MICROSOFT
(I'll pay you the shipping)

Totally agree all MS is doing is getting its core fans upset, since those are the only people who are going to force the update.

CaptainLumia

Aug 12, 2014
Visit site
So I'm at a deadlock. I'm running 7 64bit with all updates. The 'get windows 10' icon disappeared this morning. When I check for updates, I am told none are available. The 'hidden' folder on my C: drive doesn't exist. Auto update is enabled. When I use the wuauclt.exe /updatenow command, nothing happens. No error messages, no popups. Nothing, nada. I know I can download the ISO manually, but I'd prefer to update since updates come with the free MS DVD player. Thoughts?

RAO HAMMAS

Jul 29, 2015
Visit site
heyyy Bro.....thanks a lot .....update Now method worked for me ..........now it started downloading Windows 10 updates !!:smile: :smile: :confused: :love:

caspervir1

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
Thanx! Downloading again, but this time the files are much larger! last time 2599mb, now 5198mb... My internet Connection is bad where I am now (2mb/s) but hope it Works though... Skjermbilde (174).png Staying awake the Whole night...

ReprobusR

Jul 28, 2014
Visit site
There are problems; I know many are experiencing. Don't rush things; try again tomorrow if you become too frustrated, only best advice, hopefully the update will eventually work !

Microsoft has promised that a child can upgrade; we can agree this is not the case; contrary to those touting to download the ISO to which some are having problems with that method as well.

You're not alone if it's not upgrading, don't let the few who it has worked for, make you feel isolated, there are less of them and more of us !

Josh Hearn

Jul 29, 2015
Visit site
FYI to anybody still having issues. I did the install on two laptops and the quickest route was the manual install from the Microsoft download using there tool. No bootable usb or disk just using there media creation tool straight from the Microsoft website and it was double the speed as the force install process. I had a force install fail after a 15 min process even after deleting the files needed for the force install to work

I can't post the link because I don't have enough posts here but "Microsoft download Windows 10" in google and its the first link

FYI the manual install is fast, simple no extra steps. It just does its thing. A the actual downloaded file was very small. You don't actually download the iso. All the downloading is done when you run the tool. It finds your product key and is fully activated. I wished I would have done it at 1am instead of 5 hours of crap reading message boards and trying this or trying that.

Tempest790

Oct 3, 2004
Visit site
I successfully upgraded to Windows 10 and used it for a couple of hours. On my first reboot, it came up with a blue screen error (looks like a low-res jpeg for some reason) and won't go any further.

Took over an hour to get it back up (by accident), but it's still not working correctly. I can only boot by using a Windows 10 Home x64 DVD that I very thankfully burned before that fatal reboot.

Here's my (accidental) temporary solution I found.

If you have access to another computer, you may be able to get back into your PC by trying my method.

1. Boot your computer using the install DVD (or USB) media.

2. Click next on the first screen (where you select region and language).

3. Click "Repair"

4. Click the 2nd option which is recover from DVD, USB, media etc.

5. In my case, I chose my DVD drive with UEFI option (not legacy).

6. Computer restarts and boots Windows 10

I was able to login but unfortunately, I don't know how fix the boot problem. It will blue screen on every reboot now.

We need help Microsoft!!!

michelsfeirr

Jul 29, 2015
Visit site
You guys need a little patience until Windows 10 finishes it download in the background! You should wait to get a notification for those that didn't work.

MikeSo

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
FYI to anybody still having issues. I did the install on two laptops and the quickest route was the manual install from the Microsoft download using there tool.

I tried that on two PCs with entirely different configurations and both got the "Something happened" error.
So far I haven't been able to install anything.

nick2slick4u

Jul 29, 2015
Visit site
Thanks for the help her it?s was very helpful! I just wanted to share that I wasn?t able to get this update to install under my normal account which has administrative privileges. So I logged in with the local ?administrator? account on my system and kicked off the following command ?wuauclt.exe /updatenow? and it started the download.:excited:

TBolt

May 21, 2011
Visit site
If those folders don't exist, type this at the command line:
wuauclt.exe /updatenow
(This worked for me, and my download has started)

This worked on a Windows 7 laptop I have. It did not work in Windows 8.1 Pro installed on a Mac using Boot Camp, though -- just an FYI to any other Boot Camp users.

Anyone using Boot Camp have better luck?

​Thank you.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oarisfenton