How to convince iPhone and Android users to make the switch?

Shamshi-Adad

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
Honestly, just let them play with a Windows Phone. That's what got me...
LOL, I still have my first, a Lumia ICON. 4.5 years old, mint condition, runnin' [Win10M 14977.1000] Redstone 2 Fast Ring and Noooooooo problems with it.

EDIT>>> I wouldn't let ANYBODY play with it but me :winktongue:

Peace. Alan
Galaxy S7Edge [MM6.0.1] Full Dresser
Lumia ICON [Win10M 14977.1000] Sportster
Even when I lose, I win.

Last edited:

Kacchan

Oct 25, 2016
Visit site
I find this interesting. If I can ask, why do you feel this way? So I'm guessing that you suggest iOS if they asked you?
It's the first time I have EVER heard anyone say that.
Because android is not a good os and I genuinely find myself confused and questioning logic when i hear my friends talking about their various devices. IOS is better to switch to if someone must switch.

Sent from mTalk

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Because android is not a good os and I genuinely find myself confused and questioning logic when i hear my friends talking about their various devices. IOS is better to switch to if someone must switch.

Sent from mTalk

I see. I'm wondering if you have had a recent experience with it, though but you don't have to answer that. In my experience, Android and iOS have been just fine, but with Android, choosing the right phone is important.

I was surprised with your statement because between my coworkers and my friend group(s), there isn't one dominant OS, and no one complains or gets annoyed with their phone. I am in the category of other because I switch. The rest of them, not so much.

Honestly, just let them play with a Windows Phone. That's what got me...

Playing is fun until they ask why they can't they do x on the phone. Like for my mom, Windows Phone will never be an option again. She cares for all of the apps that her friends introduce her to. However, for my dad who uses the core functions (call, text, take pictures, read email, send email) and WhatsApp, it works just fine. Probably depends on the individual though of course.

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site

Sent from mTalk
While I understand this may be your viewpoint, it seems to be working for a vast majority of consumers. I certainly wouldn't recommend it if I didn't like it, but it seems letting someone make their own decision might prove best.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
While I understand this may be your viewpoint, it seems to be working for a vast majority of consumers. I certainly wouldn't recommend it if I didn't like it, but it seems letting someone make their own decision might prove best.
No kidding. Android only has over 85% worldwide market share so someone must be liking it. Most of my friends and family have iPhones and that's fine, it works for them. My wife likes Android but it's a strained relationship. Windows doesn't have an app for the Dade County Public Library and that's a major thing for her. My Idol 4S has been sitting in a drawer for over a week now but it doesn't mean I don't like Windows. Until something changes, it's BlackBerry OS10 and Windows for me.

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
No kidding. Android only has over 85% worldwide market share so someone must be liking it. Most of my friends and family have iPhones and that's fine, it works for them. My wife likes Android but it's a strained relationship. Windows doesn't have an app for the Dade County Public Library and that's a major thing for her. My Idol 4S has been sitting in a drawer for over a week now but it doesn't mean I don't like Windows. Until something changes, it's BlackBerry OS10 and Windows for me.
I have a love/hate relationship with Android, but the love seems to win out more. 🤣
At times it seems too busy, more than I need. I would like things simpler. But then there's times I'm glad it can do what it can do. I guess that's why I have more than one device/OS. It allows me to keep my sanity in check, though my wife may disagree.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Even if every OS has/had global issues I'm not sure "theirs" begin to compare to WP running 10, if I look back to 2010 then moving forward to today, I'm again hard pressed to write more than a few lines as to how any of my Android, iOS/Apple products, and PC w/past OS's, created such havoc and poor user experiences I'm seeing now.

OEM is furthest from my mind since to me it is pretty evident that 10 is the root of all evils here on both WM and PC. Having just obtained a 650 that was supposedly made for 10, I'm really surprised seeing how it mirrors the poor functionality I've experienced on my 830 (speed not part of the equation here), there have been lots of WTH! moments yet can't say the same for the other platforms... Either I'm one lucky Dude that only gets the best of the best w/Android and iOS and others, then picks the rejects on WM/PC, or, Microsoft's visioning of it's newest OS is way out in left field.

At the end of the day though, it'll come down to whether one's experience on each platform was good, mediocre or bad which will, make or break that user's perception for each specific platform. Right now and IMO, any general user venturing over to WM will find it broken with the overall experience being considerably worse compared to the other platforms.

Maybe spoke too soon eh? I like the line where it states the update brought the problem, sounds familiar? I'm not bashing Apple, or any other OS for that matter, but it bugs me that they have just as many issues as anybody else but it seems they always get a pass. I'll give Android more leeway because there are so many variations that anything can go wrong. Apple makes one device, it should be perfect at this stage of the game.

Latest issue to hit Apple; phone app freezes on iPhone 7, iPhone 6s and iPhone 5s

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Maybe spoke too soon eh? I like the line where it states the update brought the problem, sounds familiar? I'm not bashing Apple, or any other OS for that matter, but it bugs me that they have just as many issues as anybody else but it seems they always get a pass. I'll give Android more leeway because there are so many variations that anything can go wrong. Apple makes one device, it should be perfect at this stage of the game.

Latest issue to hit Apple; phone app freezes on iPhone 7, iPhone 6s and iPhone 5s
Yep, as soon as I noticed poor signal back in September, I gladly downgraded back to 9.

I'm shocked that it was so bad for them.

Shamshi-Adad

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
Yep, as soon as I noticed poor signal back in September, I gladly downgraded back to 9.

I'm shocked that it was so bad for them.
Speaking of antennas, so to speak, How come so little attention seems to be paid to antenna performance? By that I mean the ability to pick up 1,2 and 3 bars and phone performance in that signal range. The assumption seems to be that the whole market lives and works and parties in 4-5 bars with a guaranteed 4gLTE areas. I'm here to tell ya there's a gazillion people that live, work and party in 3-2 bar areas. The strange thing is those people don't seem to think of that as part of their due diligence when shopping. How can one even check on that. Ah.........14 day grace periods. :winktongue:

There is a vast difference between phones when it comes to how well they'll perform at your 2 bar house or your best buddy's 3 bar house.

Peace. Alan
Even when I lose, I win.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Speaking of antennas, so to speak, How come so little attention seems to be paid to antenna performance? By that I mean the ability to pick up 1,2 and 3 bars and phone performance in that signal range. The assumption seems to be that the whole market lives and works and parties in 4-5 bars with a guaranteed 4gLTE areas. I'm here to tell ya there's a gazillion people that live, work and party in 3-2 bar areas. The strange thing is those people don't seem to think of that as part of their due diligence when shopping. How can one even check on that. Ah.........14 day grace periods. :winktongue:

There is a vast difference between phones when it comes to how well they'll perform at your 2 bar house or your best buddy's 3 bar house.

Peace. Alan
Even when I lose, I win.

Agreed. Cellular performance has taken a back seat to selfie cams. They are still phones first and smart second regardless of the moniker. I remember a time when Motorolas and BlackBerrys were top dogs in latching on to a cell signal. Now, they're just footnotes.

slivy58

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
Maybe spoke too soon eh? I like the line where it states the update brought the problem, sounds familiar?

Actually it doesn't in the sense that nothing has migrated its way onto our devices in this household, yet.

I'm not bashing Apple, or any other OS for that matter, but it bugs me that they have just as many issues as anybody else but it seems they always get a pass.

I'm not here to bash any of them either but in my realm the difference between the platforms has been night and day, got way more Android and iOS devices floating around than Windows Mobile devices so you'd think the law of averages in regards to which is least problematic would favour the latter, but it doesn't here, not by a long shot... Just had my 3+ day old Lumia 650 encounter what I regard as a hardware issue so back it goes, very disappointed we'll be without but I'll be back if that option exists.

Like I mentioned in other posts, tough to remember exactly but it has been a good couple of years or longer since I've had to reset an Android or iOS device because of bugs or the like and even then that is questionable, not saying it doesn't exist (know it does) but here they've been relatively rock solid. On the other hand, my 830 has seen more rests in the past year than all my devices combined over a 2 year period, something not right there.

I'll give Android more leeway because there are so many variations that anything can go wrong. Apple makes one device, it should be perfect at this stage of the game.

You are right to a degree w/Apple but as with any of the platforms, it was us "humans" that designed them so shall I say more. :grin:

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Actually it doesn't in the sense that nothing has migrated its way onto our devices in this household, yet.

I'm not here to bash any of them either but in my realm the difference between the platforms has been night and day, got way more Android and iOS devices floating around than Windows Mobile devices so you'd think the law of averages in regards to which is least problematic would favour the latter, but it doesn't here, not by a long shot... Just had my 3+ day old Lumia 650 encounter what I regard as a hardware issue so back it goes, very disappointed we'll be without but I'll be back if that option exists.

Like I mentioned in other posts, tough to remember exactly but it has been a good couple of years or longer since I've had to reset an Android or iOS device because of bugs or the like and even then that is questionable, not saying it doesn't exist (know it does) but here they've been relatively rock solid. On the other hand, my 830 has seen more rests in the past year than all my devices combined over a 2 year period, something not right there.

You are right to a degree w/Apple but as with any of the platforms, it was us "humans" that designed them so shall I say more. :grin:

I thought we were discussing OS bugs. You're mentioning hardware issues and those are so random it's not worth talking about especially with high volume pieces. You haven't had any issues with your iPhones or Androids and that's great. But Note 7s were catching fire and iPhones have been having touch issues to the point that there are class-action lawsuits. I owned a Pinto many years ago with zero issues so does that mean the whole exploding thing was fake? No, I was just lucky to never be rear ended.

Kacchan

Oct 25, 2016
Visit site

A majority or popularity also doesn't imply quality either. Lol see Donald trump. Jk

In all seriousness given the bulk of android sales come from low end hardware it is no surprise it is the dominant player.

Anytime market share is brought up as a defense it seems poor simply because that does not dictate overall product quality nor does it necessarily imply it is working for most consumers. Especially in markets where iOS is extremely high and windows phone is not available.

Kacchan

Oct 25, 2016
Visit site
I see. I'm wondering if you have had a recent experience with it, though but you don't have to answer that. In my experience, Android and iOS have been just fine, but with Android, choosing the right phone is important.

I was surprised with your statement because between my coworkers and my friend group(s), there isn't one dominant OS, and no one complains or gets annoyed with their phone. I am in the category of other because I switch. The rest of them, not so much.

Playing is fun until they ask why they can't they do x on the phone. Like for my mom, Windows Phone will never be an option again. She cares for all of the apps that her friends introduce her to. However, for my dad who uses the core functions (call, text, take pictures, read email, send email) and WhatsApp, it works just fine. Probably depends on the individual though of course.

I have quite a bit experience with android. I'd never speak about products without first hand experience.

I will say I was mildly at best intrigued by my dads pixel. Camera is overhyped but it was somewhat tolerable to use for an hour till the lack of a good ui and the annoyance of the Notification Center kicked in.

Android has fantastic hardware. So many devices from Sony and moto and even htc and the Asian oems are quite amazing.

Samsung is something incredibly overrated like android itself and i avoid their products like the plague.

Shame the above oems are using a subpar os so I would never buy them for myself (one plus makes me weep lol) but if Alcatel is a good sign of the future maybe they will follow suit. I always thought the idol 4s was one of the better designed android phones this year running an Os I have zero interest in anymore.

And what do you know....I now have an idol 4s with enhanced specs running a better os imo. So bright side I guess. Lol.

iOS and windows are the two best os. Blackberry 10 is largely irrelevant even more than windows but it is a great os as well.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb