How To: Flash ATT Lumia 830 (RM-983) with 8.1 Update 2 and Proper Denim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Derausgewanderte

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
First, thank you for posting this. I'm a little late to the party here, but it looks like the files are still available. I'm having a couple of issues i hope you can help with. In the NokiaCare instructions, when I get to 5. Choose RM-983 (Nokia Lumia 830) all I see is RM-983 (RM-983). I choose that and proceed with the steps, but when I get to step 8. I don't see any packages under properties. I've tried this a couple of times, using both my laptop and my PC, and always get the same result.

Does anyone have a suggestion of what I should try next? There is probably something very obvious that I'm missing...

Thanks in advance for any suggestions
that's most likely due to the folder structure not being accurate.
C:\ProgramData\Nokia\Packages\Products\rm-983\
and all the files from the download should be in there without a subfolder.
you should see this in that folder:
Capture.PNG

MichaelMcD

Feb 22, 2015
Visit site
I used the Refurbish option and it worked great, with many fewer steps. All I had to do was download the RM-983 package, put it in the correct folder, then selected the Refurbish option in the Nokia Care software and that was it! Now I am a happy Full Denim user. No more music skips on bluetooth, Here Drive+ no longer freezes on me, and of course now Lumia Camera 5 works. I haven't tried call forwarding, but I don't have any need. For the record, I also do not have a "Calls+" setting app. The closest looking apps I have are "cellular+SIM", "Network+", and "call+SMS filter". The "Network+" app appears to be where I would set call forwarding. I don't have any need, though, so I don't want to jinx it by trying! I am on the AT&T network, with an AT&T branded Lumia 830 phone.

Last edited:

Derausgewanderte

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
I used the Refurbish option and it worked great, with many fewer steps.

you are welcome. btw. I am not sure that you will save "many" steps doing it the refurbish route. I listed everything, including opening NCS, clicking onto a button as a step as well as creating the folder with files. Fewer maybe.

gordonfink

Dec 5, 2014
Visit site
Do people with an RM-985 with 8.1u2 have this issue?

I'm not sure that 8.1u2 I available for 985 phones. I haven't tried to flash mine, or look for a ROM for it, but nothing has come OTA. Mine is a direct from Microsoft US 985 model, so if it was available, I'd think I'd get it.

camaroz1985

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
This worked on my 830 too. Got tired of the "Loading..." and lagging on W10. With the birth of our twins last week I needed something reliable, and quick to take pictures, and Denim gave me just that.

MichaelMcD

Feb 22, 2015
Visit site
Thank you very much! And I apologize for neglecting to say thanks in my previous post. You have come through for all of us AT&T Lumia 830 owners where a global telecommunications company could (or would) not.

gdobro

Aug 6, 2014
Visit site
Hi, i installed the new firmware like two weeks ago.. Thanks! Everything is working great and fixed the Netflix and i love the Lumia Camera 5.0 BUT im having major problems with the GPS since... I cant get reliable signal for long. Its constantly loosing and showing like a 50/100mts difference which is a lot in driving and most for running... Its almost unusable in this ?rea... The apps cant count the kilometers i run because it never gets strong signal for more than a second ir two. Someone experienced this? I dont know if its entirely for the fiirmware but it wasnt like that with the previous versi?n. Any thougs?

ashram

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
Hi, i installed the new firmware like two weeks ago.. Thanks! Everything is working great and fixed the Netflix and i love the Lumia Camera 5.0 BUT im having major problems with the GPS since... I cant get reliable signal for long. Its constantly loosing and showing like a 50/100mts difference which is a lot in driving and most for running... Its almost unusable in this ?rea... The apps cant count the kilometers i run because it never gets strong signal for more than a second ir two. Someone experienced this? I dont know if its entirely for the fiirmware but it wasnt like that with the previous versi?n. Any thougs?

did you do a factory reset RIGHT AFTER updating?? I had a few other issues that were fixed with a factory reset

Gilbriem

Jun 19, 2015
Visit site
did you do a factory reset RIGHT AFTER updating?? I had a few other issues that were fixed with a factory reset

Let me first admit my lack of knowledge about how some of this works, but I am curious to know why a factory reset is needed when the install leaves it in a state that seems like it has been reset. I have seen my own little quirks with the update, but I also missed the factory reset step.

ashram

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
Let me first admit my lack of knowledge about how some of this works, but I am curious to know why a factory reset is needed when the install leaves it in a state that seems like it has been reset. I have seen my own little quirks with the update, but I also missed the factory reset step.

I understand your train of thought. It's just something that seems to happen too often after flashing Windows (and android) devices. Sometimes, just sometimes, devices have a few "quirks" after a firmware/os flash and a factory reset fixes. My 830 had some sound issues after upgrading and a factory reset got it all working. It's something that has become "standard practice" in most communities, like XDA, to perform after a flash.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FraJa