How to lower alarm clock volume?

mayblast

May 10, 2014
Visit site
Is there no way to tone the alarm down?

I'm positive I have volume controls for right about anything else, but alarm is completely unusable because my plan is not to wake neighbours and scare myself ****less.

(3rd party apps? Forget about it, when it comes to absolutely core apps, I only rely on them).

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
I think that by default the alarm is set to progressively get louder until you turn it off, but it does shut down on it's own after a few minutes (5).

Using Gentle Alarm instead of stock so not so up to date on it

Ma Rio

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
Come to think of it.. Try changing ringtone settings?

I don't know if ven07 is thinking the same as I am, but try using a sound that is quieter. You can either find a subtle one, or take a sound and make it quieter on your PC and then set it as the alarm sound. I mean, do it if you can't solve the problem with other methods.

milkyway

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
it's a shame really. MS can't manage to put such simple things like controlling the alarm volume in W10M. I miss it since WP 8.0
I'm using "vibrate only" ;)

CozyPlanes

Jul 16, 2016
Visit site
Set to a quieter alarm at first or put a thick book or paper underneath and place your phone speaker to touch the flat surface to reduce the sound...
No way of changing sounds in WP..
What a shame that microsoft can't make these kinds of small easy features.
Good luck and try one of those third party alarm clocks. There are some cool ones on the market..

Maurizio Troso

Aug 22, 2014
Visit site
Never heard such a iussue before. Nokia clock and other alarms are done like that: start gentle and become louder. Try them before blaming

I using them since 8.1

PGrey

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
I did try, before my post. I set my phone to a 2, and then 1, and it still was full-volume, when the alarm went off, from the get-go.

Maurizio Troso

Aug 22, 2014
Visit site
I did try, before my post. I set my phone to a 2, and then 1, and it still was full-volume, when the alarm went off, from the get-go.

Phone volume doesn't apply to alarm. That's obvious. People sometimes forget phones in Quiet mode. Alarms rings even if Ringer and Apps vol are on zero. The alarm ramp volume is preprogrammed.

Try now enabling an alarm and left phone with volumes all to zero and vibro on ;)

oviedofreak82

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site
I'm the complete opposite; in windows phone 8.1, my alarm was so loud, it could wake the dead. Now on 10, it's quieter than a mouse. I sometimes sleep past my alarm. Can't seem to find a way to increase the volume even with ringer volume at 10 & media volume at 30, it's still quiet.

Maurizio Troso

Aug 22, 2014
Visit site
I'm the complete opposite; in windows phone 8.1, my alarm was so loud, it could wake the dead. Now on 10, it's quieter than a mouse. I sometimes sleep past my alarm. Can't seem to find a way to increase the volume even with ringer volume at 10 & media volume at 30, it's still quiet.

The ramp volume is fixed on Redstone, so you'll find it on next August 2nd.
And I repeat, Volume keys are uninfluent on Alarm app, due to avoid alarms stopping by people forgetting their phones in vibro mode ;)
For now, set repeating to 5 mins

oviedofreak82

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site
And I repeat, Volume keys are uninfluent on Alarm app, due to avoid alarms stopping by people forgetting their phones in vibro mode ;)

Makes sense since my 640 XL is on 14393 slow ring.

milkyway

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site

I think we all know that. What the OP (and most probably many W10M users) want is to have a setting in the alarm clock app for controlling the alarm sound volume. I don't understand why MS does not implement one

MDK22

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
I saw others complaining of alarm volume too low!

I use ReAlarm for all my alarms, it starts out very quiet, increasingly louder.
Allows significant customization of alarms, some good sounds within the app, allows your music to be an alarm.
It's what Alarms & Clock should be

Rinsun

Apr 4, 2016
Visit site

I have downloaded loud alarm sounds with an app 'Sirens & alarms' and uninstalled the app later.I use these loud alarm sounds with the default Alarm app and I wake me up without fail.
BTW,I am on 10586.494

PGrey

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
Okay, I figured this out, just so there's no confusion, here's how it works.
The "secondary" volume, "Media and Apps" controls the initial alarm volume. If you set this low, say 1-2, your alarm will start really quiet, and "build", if you don't dismiss it.

I bet this is in Threshold too, but I'm not going back to check, I'm addicted to RS now that I upgraded late yesterday ;-]

So, there you have it, it's set-able, not an awesome modus operandi, since it does affect all the other apps, but workable.

I agree, it would be good if they added a separate setting for the built-in alarm only, to avoid affecting everything, but I bet this is pretty low-pri.

Yeah, MDK22, I tested it, before posting ;-]

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deryl McCarty