HTC 8X appears to have just died; won't turn on again...

MilkyTee

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Hi!

I have heard many times that removing sim card in switched on condition forces HTC 8X to reboot. I was just pondering if its working for someone whose battery is not yet drained.

Thanks.
SST
Hi, thanks, I'll try that.

@ Its a good idea but it didnt helped, @MilkyTee
Do i have to plug it to pc when the red LED is off? How can i know when battery is running low?
You'll have to just guess when it's running low on power. For example the first time my phone turned off, it was @ about 90% battery. It subsuquently took circa 72 hours to drain. 70 or so hours after it had died, I plugged it into my laptop, and yes the red LED was off the entire time, until it started charging again.

recieved update today for htc's app flashlght , photo enhancer , beats audio ...
so this beats audio update is regarding phones going bricked in audio mode ?????
Keep us in the loop there Shaikh, I suspect Beats has something to do with the problem, though it's unlikely HTC rolled out an update this quick.

steven fritts

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
recieved update today for htc's app flashlght , photo enhancer , beats audio ...
so this beats audio update is regarding phones going bricked in audio mode ?????

I would be terrified to be the one to try this out. I'm guessing then only way to be sure would to run the update and play some (Xbox) music, right?

If you do try I would keep your battery below 20%.

It would be great if HTC had been listening and fixed the problem so fast. But if it is a beats audio problem wouldn't turning off the beats audio options in the settings solve the problem?

Patrick Jason Lim

Jan 19, 2013
Visit site
I also had my unlocked HTC 8X updated to GDR2 about 4 days ago. It was all fine and going smoothly, until last night 9 PM (manila time, 1PM GMT) my phone just died out of the prominent reasons of playing music. My phone is in battery saver mode already, about ~15% battery when it died. I immediately did what other people are saying in this thread: connect to PC and wait for the phone to "drain" and "recharge" again.

My phone is just connected to my PC for like ~14 hours. Then, miraculously, just an hour ago, my phone got its very first sign of life, the HTC boot screen showed up, and my phone started charging.

I guess the issue is that the phone is not totally bricked, there should be some kind of bug that makes the phone that unresponsive that even trying to do combinations of power keys + volume buttons won't just work. I tried them all, to no avail. The pics of my phone springing back to life are here, just taken less than hour ago when it first got revitalized..

Just my advice: Be patient, and don't try to just re-flash your phone YET, you'll regret if you will know that some had fixed their phones without re-flash and losing data. I think HTC or Microsoft will soon release update or fix for this.

1074649_647917851886236_1469109351_o.jpg
1074849_647922161885805_719132192_o.jpg
1072081_647922068552481_1640196617_o.jpg

listeningtree

Mar 26, 2013
Visit site
I also had my unlocked HTC 8X updated to GDR2 about 4 days ago. It was all fine and going smoothly, until last night 9 PM (manila time, 1PM GMT) my phone just died out of the prominent reasons of playing music. My phone is in battery saver mode already, about ~15% battery when it died. I immediately did what other people are saying in this thread: connect to PC and wait for the phone to "drain" and "recharge" again.

I have a couple of questions:

1. Were you playing music that came from Xbox Music? Or the ones you put in the phone yourself?
2. Do you have WhatsApp installed? Were you using it when it died?
3. Do you have apps that are allowed to run in the background? If yes, what app(s) are those?
4. EDIT: Also, what's your OS version?

I had the GDR2 update too, but so far I haven't had any issues with it, thank goodness. My OS version is 8.0.10327.77

Last edited:

lhqx108x

Feb 26, 2013
Visit site
Re: Frozen Htc 8x with GDR2 Update, Plez Help !!!

My phone came back to life, works normal. Just leave the phone for few days for battery to get drained and then plug into the socket as normal

MilkyTee

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site

My phone came back to life, works normal. Just leave the phone for few days for battery to get drained and then plug into the socket as normal
It'll go again tbough. My phone has died and risen from the dead three times now.

Patrick Jason Lim

Jan 19, 2013
Visit site
I have a couple of questions:

1. Were you playing music that came from Xbox Music? Or the ones you put in the phone yourself?
2. Do you have WhatsApp installed? Were you using it when it died?
3. Do you have apps that are allowed to run in the background? If yes, what app(s) are those?
4. EDIT: Also, what's your OS version?

I had the GDR2 update too, but so far I haven't had any issues with it, thank goodness. My OS version is 8.0.10327.77

These were my case:
1. Phone's collection of songs. I don't have XBOX music pass anyway
2. Yes installed, but I don't use it, and I am not using it by the period my phone died
3. I do have, but disabled most since my phone really is notorious to quick battery drain. Apps are
  • Advanced English Dictionary
  • Dev Center
  • Engadget
  • Foursqure
  • Hardware Tests
  • MapQuest (did not open it yet)
  • WeChat
* THese are the apps which appear as background tasks that are still able to be disabled

4. OS Version: Same as yours, 8.0.10327.77

Maybe, since most cases regarding this issue is involved with the "music" playing things, I may suggest that you try to avoid playing music by now, and I guess until MS or HTC releases an update/fix for this issue.

envio

Jun 20, 2012
Visit site
Re: Problems after GDR2 update

I can report that Internet Sharing has started working again. I've performed numerous restarts of my 8x and guests with no luck over the last two weeks and then today, suddenly, it's started working again. I can't explain it but I'm glad it's back so no complaints from me.

wb3052

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site

It'll go again tbough. My phone has died and risen from the dead three times now.

Hi Milkee Tee, Was it always playing music when your phone dies? Did it have Beats audio on? I've just got the HTC 8x to try out Windows Phone 2 days ago. Updated to Portico but now considering whether to risk GDR2 after reading this forum. Heard that GDR2 solves the "others" storage issue though. Thanks.

steven fritts

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
It's alive !

After about 4 days the battery ran dry and rebooted. I can confirm what milkytree wrote that the battery does not seem to recharge at all when plugged in. My battery app recorded a stable decline since the phone switched off even though I had it plugged in after 2,5 days.

I had my phone plugged into the wall socket for power. So it seems that the computer and wall socket both work.

qsr786

Jul 24, 2011
Visit site
@steven fritts, hey one question when you plugged in your phone to wall socket, was the red LED on or off? Txh in advance!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yenofenny