I find this so stupid about WP7

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
Just wanted you to know that your guess about my beliefs is untrue. I just find it unfortunate that WP has to operate this way. It is sad but apparent not only from this thread but many others, the basis towards Nokia is overwhelming. I am not claiming this is you Wining Guy, but overall Nokia can do no wrong around here.

Its sad WP has to operate like this.

Yes, it is sad. But that's the reality of having a small install base.

I wish all the OEMs did this right from the start. If they did, the exclusivity period would be done by now and we'd ALL have a lot more apps to choose from.

The reality is, we shouldn't be blaming any company for the situation. Because the situation is a result of a lack of a big enough user base. It's a growing pain.

Any company is free to try their best to bring in more apps. But when all is said and done, many devs just don't think it's worth it yet. And the bigger the developer, the harder it is to justify the expenses of porting an app over.

Just so you know, I don't own a Lumia. I love Nokia as a company and have owned past products, but I can't justify buying a phone off contract right now. So I don't get the apps and games that are exclusive to Nokia. But I know that exclusivity isn't permanent. So I look forward to eventually getting them as opposed to never getting them.

Big Supes

Sep 1, 2011
Visit site
I just find it unfortunate that WP has to operate this way. It is sad but apparent not only from this thread but many others, the basis towards Nokia is overwhelming. I am not claiming this is you Wining Guy, but overall Nokia can do no wrong around here.

Its sad WP has to operate like this.

I would look at it like this: Since the birth of WP, the remaining OEMs could do no right. Nokia came along, and as much as they needed Microsoft, "Windows Phone" was desperate for a credible OEM to really get behind the platform. Nokia did that and continue to do it (marketing/standout products) in style.

Without the former heavyweight champion backing WP, things would be looking pretty bleak for WP right now.

eric12341

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
Lets try to reduce the personal attacks or buy something else statements to zero. I really don't want to have to lock this thread. It may make the front page.

GoodThings2Life

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
Let me jump back in and address both sides of the issue for a minute, because I have been thinking about this more...

Unfair Group -- Are you upset because it's Nokia doing this or because Microsoft allows it? It matters, because if you're only upset about Nokia but you would tolerate it from Samsung or HTC or I dunno... LG... then frankly, you're a hypocrite with a double standard, and you're just whining about an OEM you don't like. If you're against Microsoft allowing it, I can at least give you some credit for the argument, because I think you're right, and here's why...

Fair Group -- If we allow every OEM to do this, we will be creating fragmentation in the platform, and we can just look at Android to see how chaotic that can be. I want the ESPN app, so I have to buy Nokia, but I also want Chase Banking, and crap-- I can only get that on Samsung. Worse, what happens when the carriers start doing this... Suddenly, I can only get it on Samsung IF I'm on AT&T. Hmm, then the argument breaks down.

But is it such a bad thing? Don't we already have some of this going on? I mean, only AT&T customers have an app that lets us manage all our phone account services, and only HTC customers have the HTC Hub and only Nokia customers get Nokia Drive. These aren't great examples since alternatives exist, BUT suppose they were exclusive apps.

Android has things like this too... just because an app is listed for a device doesn't mean it works. Some are only compatible with particular versions of Android which is EXTREMELY problematic, some only work with HTC devices or Samsung devices, and what about the difference on every single device (HTC has at least 50 versions of Sense UI now).

My point is this... if you're making a philosophical argument against fragmentation and wanting to promote the platform to new customers, kudos and thank you... but if you're just whining about Nokia, the moderators might as well lock this thread now, because we're all wasting our time. And likewise, if we're going to argue that it's fair for OEMs to do this, then we have to be OK with the consequences of fragmentation and buggy apps. I don't want to deal with Force Close situations... I left Android because of that crap.

At the end of the day, though, Nokia has a special relationship with Microsoft that has them working together above and beyond, and it's done more to promote the platform than any of the other OEM. That makes it a good thing... as long as it's limited.

cp2_4eva

Mar 19, 2012
Visit site
I'm not mad that Nokia is doing it. Its more of a Microsoft thing. Like HOW is it technically possible and why do they allow it. I know the reality is that Nokia has been paving a way for WP to be viable, but by allowing that it would possibly make for separation of a community that is more or less supposed to be on common ground. Look, this app exclusivity is not going to be the death of anything. It just rubs potential converts wrong when they could possibly prefer Samsung or HTC over Nokia. They get the apps they would need in order to make the conversion s few months to a year later? They can get those apps NOW on Android or iOS.

Sent from my PI86100 using Board Express

GoodThings2Life

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
I'm not mad that Nokia is doing it. Its more of a Microsoft thing.....

I'm glad that's how you see it, and I think you've got a very valid point there. For a few posts I was worried that you were focused on it being Nokia.

I still think it's fair since Nokia is putting in the effort, but I never want an exclusive to be permanent. :)

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Everyone seems to single out Nokia for having exclusive apps. However, Samsung is not any different. ChatOn (a cross-platform IM app) supports only Samsung Windows Phones, despite the fact that it supports all Androids, and even supports iPhone/BlackBerry.

chaton.png

cp2_4eva

Mar 19, 2012
Visit site
No no no, my problem was never with Nokia. Its more of just a question of how the OS allows them to do it. I mean if it's open for exploitation then sure by all means. But apps like ESPN aren't Nokia. That's ESPN. So it's a wonder of how MS lets it happen. Simply that MS wants Nokia to succeed and bring WP up on the world. Which is ok.

Duvi

Jan 1, 2011
Visit site
On Android, this exists as well. Samsung, HTC and others have their own apps.

My galaxy s3 has "Samsung Apps". Same with HTC.

Screenshot_2012-09-01-22-06-23.png

Screenshot_2012-09-01-22-06-40.png

Duvi

Jan 1, 2011
Visit site
No no no, my problem was never with Nokia. Its more of just a question of how the OS allows them to do it. I mean if it's open for exploitation then sure by all means. But apps like ESPN aren't Nokia. That's ESPN. So it's a wonder of how MS lets it happen. Simply that MS wants Nokia to succeed and bring WP up on the world. Which is ok.

There is an ESPN app. The ESPN app for Nokia is a totally different app and IMO is an app I don't like and don't use.

It's done to help manufacturers differentiate themselves within a platform. It also helps the OS because I know people that like Samsung hardware over HTC, but the reverse when it comes to software and they'll purchase both devices to get the best of both worlds.

power5

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
Microsoft advertising WP WOULD bring devs. Right now devs obviously need to get paid up front because there is too much risk. If they saw Microsoft advertising more they would get the "free" advertising they need to offset some of the risk. I know I immediately searched for iPhone apps after I saw apple commercials highlighting some. It works and devs know it. No platform advertising means the devs have to put out more money to do so.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
On Android, this exists as well. Samsung, HTC and others have their own apps.

My galaxy s3 has "Samsung Apps". Same with HTC.

Click to view quoted image

Click to view quoted image

It's not just the different OEMs either (and not just Windows Phone and Android). The carriers also restrict different apps or have exclusive apps too.

AT&T BlackBerry users had to use a 3rd-party app to use BlackBerry Maps, since AT&T wanted people to subscribe to Telenav for $10/month.

VZW disabled GPS on BlackBerry unless a customer used Telenav.

BlackBerry users in the US cannot get Skype unless they have VZW as their carrier.

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
It's not just the different OEMs either (and not just Windows Phone and Android). The carriers also restrict different apps or have exclusive apps too.

AT&T BlackBerry users had to use a 3rd-party app to use BlackBerry Maps, since AT&T wanted people to subscribe to Telenav for $10/month.

VZW disabled GPS on BlackBerry unless a customer used Telenav.

BlackBerry users in the US cannot get Skype unless they have VZW as their carrier.

U.S. Carriers have us hook, line and sinker. Instead of competing to get our business, they play follow the leader.

In France, you can get your high speed home internet, home phone, digital TV and a mobile phone line for 54.90 euro (69.05 usd) Compare that to what we pay for those 4 services

35i6jx4.jpg

CJ Thunder

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
This thread is getting hilarious!

Will someone please make my HP print drivers work with my Lexmark!
Hey Samsung's new laptop has a start menu, my new Lenovo doesn't, BS!
Why doesn't my Mad Catz WL gampad for Xbox 360 work on my Wii?
Dang! Why does this game only work with an AMD graphics card?
Why doesn't Windows have this Mac only 3rd party CAD software?

Last edited:

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
If an app is developed by a third party, but it is paid for by Nokia, doesn't that make it Nokia's app?

As for the OS allowing it... Why wouldn't it?

Would people really rather have these apps not come to WP at all? It seems like a fact that people who are complaining are conveniently forgetting.

blehblehbleh

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site

How is it not open for exploitation? MS isn't stopping businesses from acting like businesses. I'm not understanding your viewpoint.

This act of Nokia and MS allowing exclusive apps is just business playing out. Samsung and HTC could've equally courted ESPN, but they didn't. Also so far MS hasn't issued contrary terms under the use of the marketplace disallowing such actions. If two third parties want to contract and enter into a business transaction, what does it matter to MS? So long as there isn't a violation of their terms of use for the marketplace, I don't see a problem.

As for the issue about exclusive apps turning new users off, I don't see how it's that big of a deal. There's more that goes into the decision of buying a smartphone. If that customer decides to go with Android or iOS it probably goes beyond the fact that the app wasn't readily available to other WP devices.

DungMasterFang

Apr 15, 2012
Visit site
Blah, Give Samsung and HTC the same amount of money they give Nokia. Nokia playing on house money. Which is bull****.

I have a Nokia Lumia 900, but I understand where you coming from.

Finally someone who gets it and is not all over the Nokia stick. I love Nokia for what they are trying to do, but all in all MS simply wants people to use their OS. And Nokia isn't paying for those app. MS basically is writing them check to push the OS.

You people act like Nokia is some broke *** company while in reality they have 11.4 billion dollars in gross cash and 5.3 billion dollars in net cash and thats after forking out over 1 billion dollars in dividents. MS is not paying their bills. MS is paying them money because of Nokia patents, their maps(best in the industry), their OS developement(yes, Nokia played a part developing WP8), their strong position in the mobile market(90 million mobile devices sold per quarter) etc.

Nokia and Microsoft Sign Definitive Agreement Ahead of Schedule

1. A combination of complementary assets, which make the partnership truly unique, including:

Nokia to deliver mapping, navigation, and certain location-based services to the Windows Phone ecosystem. Nokia will build innovation on top of the Windows Phone platform in areas such as imaging, while contributing expertise on hardware design and language support, and helping to drive the development of the Windows Phone platform. Microsoft will provide Bing search services across the Nokia device portfolio as well as contributing strength in productivity, advertising, gaming, social media and a variety of other services. The combination of navigation with advertising and search will enable better monetization of Nokia’s navigation assets and completely new forms of advertising revenue.

Joint developer outreach and application sourcing, to support the creation of new local and global applications, including making Windows Phone developer registration free for all Nokia developers.

Opening a new Nokia-branded global application store that leverages the Windows Marketplace infrastructure. Developers will be able to publish and distribute applications through a single developer portal to hundreds of millions of consumers that use Windows Phone, Symbian and Series 40 devices.

Contribution of Nokia’s expertise in operator billing to ensure participants in the Windows Phone ecosystem can take advantage of Nokia’s billing agreements with 112 operators in 36 markets.

2. Microsoft will receive a running royalty from Nokia for the Windows Phone platform, starting when the first Nokia products incorporating Windows Phone ship. The royalty payments are competitive and reflect the large volumes that Nokia expects to ship, as well as a variety of other considerations related to engineering work to which both companies are committed. Microsoft delivering the Windows Phone platform to Nokia will enable Nokia to significantly reduce operating expenses.

3. In recognition of the unique nature of Nokia’s agreement with Microsoft and the contributions that Nokia is providing, Nokia will receive payments measured in the billions of dollars.

4. An agreement that recognizes the value of intellectual property and puts in place mechanisms for exchanging rights to intellectual property. Nokia will receive substantial payments under the agreement.

DungMasterFang

Apr 15, 2012
Visit site
To all the folks saying "but,but Nokia is using MS money to pay the developers so it's unfair" why aren't you saying "but Nokia is using Apple's money" since you know Apple pays Nokia roughly a billion dollars per year. It's not MS money, it's not Apple money, and it's not the consumers money. It's Nokia's money.

Regardless of the recent smartphone sales, Nokia is the top dog in the industry. If you want to be in the game you need to pay Nokia and rightfully so.

World's top R&D spenders:

1. Roche Holding
2. Microsoft
3. Nokia
4. Toyota
5. Pfizer
5-10 Pharmaceutical companies

Nokia spends 3 times more in R&D than an average rival. Nokia isn't just giving huge contributions to WP, they give and have given huge contributions to the industry that they basically created.

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
To all the folks saying "but,but Nokia is using MS money to pay the developers so it's unfair" why aren't you saying "but Nokia is using Apple's money" since you know Apple pays Nokia roughly a billion dollars per year. It's not MS money, it's not Apple money, and it's not the consumers money. It's Nokia's money.

Regardless of the recent smartphone sales, Nokia is the top dog in the industry. If you want to be in the game you need to pay Nokia and rightfully so.

World's top R&D spenders:

1. Roche Holding
2. Microsoft
3. Nokia
4. Toyota
5. Pfizer
5-10 Pharmaceutical companies

Nokia spends 3 times more in R&D than an average rival. Nokia isn't just giving huge contributions to WP, they give and have given huge contributions to the industry that they basically created.

Source? - not that I'm challenging what you said, but would be lovely to quote source next time I use this ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGlucoPremium