I moved to Android/iOS, and I miss ... from WM

barber76

Jul 31, 2013
Visit site
Well, this is in response to numerous - and justified - threads about WM bugs.
What I miss in out-of-the-box Android after WM:
- big square tiles!
- widgets NOT being separate from app icons.
- vertically scrolled homescreen
- included offline maps
- ability to pin separate tiles for individual mailboxes (at least, I could not find it in stock Android).
- unlock code does not require confirm tap in WM - small but pleasant detail.
- while Android has analogue of quiet hours, it looks you can not specify an exception list to get through (like closest relatives, etc.)

... add yours...

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
It is possible to set notifications for specific contacts in Android.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20170104-134028.jpg
    Screenshot_20170104-134028.jpg
    19.4 KB · Views: 215

Kimmo Toivanen

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
- vertically scrolled homescreen
Arrow Launcher fixes that. It's free and manages badges (unread count) on app icons. I liked WP start screen more though, but WP-like launchers don't feel quite the same. It's not about screen size, 5" on 640 vs 5,2". For natural thumb movement, home screen scroll should be diagonal :)

- included offline maps
Does Here We Go bring back memories? UI is nicer than in Maps or old Here.

+ glance screen, full or partial
+ camera shutter button from 820. Double-pressing power or volume-down is not as convenient
+ double-tap to wake would be good to have. With a phone with fingerprint sensor at back and power button on the side, getting the screen on requires awkward grip or taking the phone to hand

Last edited:

slivy58

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
It's very hard for me to find anything that we REALLY miss on WM over Android but if we had to give honourable mentions It'd be...
1) Live tiles/home screen appearance
2) Dedicated camera button (but then not all WP's had this feature either)

Got to say, the more we toy w/Android & iOS the less enthusiastic we've become about WM.

Last edited:

Neill Baldwin

May 16, 2015
Visit site
Try Square Home launcher. It gives you the square tiles and vertical scroll. It is set up like W10. Not exactly the same, but it helped me with the transition

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Just FYI

You can now download offline Google Maps for routes you travel frequently or even specific areas.

My Android has a dedicated camera button and double tap to wake (I thought double tap was standard?).

I'm not a fan of launchers myself as I've found some to be a bit of a battery drain. Depends on the launcher of course.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
My Android has a dedicated camera button and double tap to wake (I thought double tap was standard?).
Double tap to wake depends on the phone. Some phones have it and some don't.

As for what I miss, my answer is aesthetics. Yep, that's it.

aximtreo

Jul 14, 2008
Visit site
Remember the hub bub the term "Look and feel" caused a few years ago. Law suits were filed to protect this perceived function. Well, I miss the look and feel of the WM OS. I am using an iPhone 6s plus with the most detestable icons one can imagine.

Live tiles; various color and size of tiles. auto sync with all my other Windows devices.

Just sold my 5th 950xl. Yes, I keep buying and then selling that phone. Now, well let's just say Ii played with the x3 at the MS store a day or so ago. God I love that screen; the size the brilliance of the colors and the live tiles. Have I mentioned I miss the llive tiles?

Let's be honest with each other. The only app people are clammering for and don't have is a social media app; Snapchat. I use FB and a bit of Twitter but have not gotten caught up in Instagram and Snapchat; probably won't either.

I miss the smoothness of the WM OS. The ease of use and did I mention, I miss live tiles.

Oh well, time to save some money again.

Neill Baldwin

May 16, 2015
Visit site
Just FYI

You can now download offline Google Maps for routes you travel frequently or even specific areas.

I'm not a fan of launchers myself as I've found some to be a bit of a battery drain. Depends on the launcher of course.

I haven't noticed any battery drain with Square Home but then again I've always used Nova as a reference point. I will say my battery doesn't drain any faster than my wife's, she has a S7 and I have a S7 edge.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Remember the hub bub the term "Look and feel" caused a few years ago. Law suits were filed to protect this perceived function. Well, I miss the look and feel of the WM OS. I am using an iPhone 6s plus with the most detestable icons one can imagine.

Live tiles; various color and size of tiles. auto sync with all my other Windows devices.

Just sold my 5th 950xl. Yes, I keep buying and then selling that phone. Now, well let's just say Ii played with the x3 at the MS store a day or so ago. God I love that screen; the size the brilliance of the colors and the live tiles. Have I mentioned I miss the llive tiles?

Let's be honest with each other. The only app people are clammering for and don't have is a social media app; Snapchat. I use FB and a bit of Twitter but have not gotten caught up in Instagram and Snapchat; probably won't either.

I miss the smoothness of the WM OS. The ease of use and did I mention, I miss live tiles.

I agree with you on this. That's basically what I mean by aesthetics. As for the live tiles, I don't know. I liked them a lot but having them get stuck for most third party apps is one of the most annoying things ever.

Also the fact that it is different and the cool shells. Wow, you are up to 5! You win.

mattiasnyc

Nov 20, 2016
Visit site
I agree with you on this. That's basically what I mean by aesthetics. As for the live tiles, I don't know. I liked them a lot but having them get stuck for most third party apps is one of the most annoying things ever.

Also the fact that it is different and the cool shells. Wow, you are up to 5! You win.

On the topic of aesthetics I quite like the way colors carry through different apps. I never got to that point on Android and maybe it was possible, but now I'm actually enjoying it on W10M. It's just the way it feels from the log-in screen with my chosen background through the start screen to the MS apps. It's just nice, and somewhat underrated I think.

dameon_03

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site

I miss the look and feel as well. I tried the WM themes and it just wasnt the same. I installed Action Launcher because it has the feature to swipe from the left to open the app list. I really miss the live tiles and the smoothness and functionality. I'm currently on a Note 3.

slivy58

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
I never try and replicate another platform over the one we are using because, it'll never be "that" platform no matter what one does. We just adapt and customize whatever we are using at any given time according its abilities/our needs. If for some reason we have an hankering for a specific platform, like say WP/WM, my simple solution is to just have a spare phone at the ready, slip in our SIM, and away we go. Pretty much problem solved and how I do it now on a regular basis. :winktongue:

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I never try and replicate another platform over the one we are using because, it'll never be "that" platform no matter what one does. We just adapt and customize whatever we are using at any given time according its abilities/our needs. If for some reason we have an hankering for a specific platform, like say WP/WM, my simple solution is to just have a spare phone at the ready, slip in our SIM, and away we go. Pretty much problem solved and how I do it now on a regular basis. :winktongue:
That's the same thing that I do.

I had been using Linux on desktop since 2006, in addition to Windows, and I never tried to make Linux look like Windows or vice versa. As a result, I never had any desire to make Android look like Windows Mobile.

slivy58

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
That's the same thing that I do.

I had been using Linux on desktop since 2006, in addition to Windows, and I never tried to make Linux look like Windows or vice versa. As a result, I never had any desire to make Android look like Windows Mobile.

Exactly. IMO there's only three options here, switching platforms completely, jump between them, or grin and bear it (WP/WM).

On a side note... My new L650 (not from MS as that one's still MIA) "may" just arrive tomorrow which has me somewhat excited. :grin: Hoping our bad luck is behind us with this unit being trouble free and we can finally give it an honest go... Better hurry up otherwise our SIM might make its way into my wife's old iPhone 6 LOL.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Exactly. IMO there's only three options here, switching platforms completely, jump between them, or grin and bear it (WP/WM).

On a side note... My new L650 (not from MS as that one's still MIA) "may" just arrive tomorrow which has me somewhat excited. :grin: Hoping our bad luck is behind us with this unit being trouble free and we can finally give it an honest go... Better hurry up otherwise our SIM might make its way into my wife's old iPhone 6 LOL.
Another option might be to use a Windows 10 Mobile phone along with an iPad or Android tablet.

slivy58

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
Another option might be to use a Windows 10 Mobile phone along with an iPad or Android tablet.

That might be yet IMO there's still too many things Windows 10 Mobile doesn't support (such as app wise), and in my case it isn't feasible to rely on the platform solely w/o something at the ready to fill in. I have some point-to-point cameras (Canon/Panasonic) along with dash/action cams that incorporate Wifi, then we use a portable wireless media streaming device, none of which are supported on the WM platform. Think even OTG is only supported on the higher end phones too no?

Right now my go-to devices are... Lenovo 27" AIO w/W10, iPad Mini 4, LG G4 and Galaxy S7, my wife uses said Lenovo, her iPad 4 (upgrade time soon) and iPhone 6S Plus with us both living in harmony, well somewhat until I open my big mouth hehe. Own multiples in every category that could support a small army (LOL) but these are the order-of-the-day devices for me right now. Hopefully we can fit the 650 in there somewhere with time telling all.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb