I'm standing my ground, and sticking with Windows Mobile.

Herman van Drie

Oct 8, 2017
Visit site
Who else is with me? Till the bitter end we stick together, we will make it through, and we know good things come to those who wait.

My 1520 finally crashed and screen shattered, I'm now looking for a 950XL as an upgrade or if I can find an HP x3 for cheap that'll be great too.

I don't think WM is a burning and a sinking ship at all, I just think we're in a transitional phase, and there's absolutely no reason why MS isn't doing something secretly in their Research Lab. They're most likely preparing for the post-smartphone era that's about to unfold in the next couple of years or so. I'm very excited to finally see the "foldable phone" they've been working on for quite some time now, and I'm sure it'll be great.

I would totally understand why you are leaving this platform, and it's absolutely within reason and totally justified, I won't miss you though because I know deep down inside, you've got a special place for WM and you'll eventually come back to us when a new spark has been ignited.

But for us who are staying and sticking through this long haul, we're going to be all right. Everything is going to be all right. We shall make it through and reap the rewards when the time is right.

On 950 here. Have been a supported since WP7 and still believe in the product. Microsoft has been boycitted by OEM's that backed out on creating the ultimate x86 SoC for mobile. Ever since it became really quiet on WM10. Now Microsoft is working in "silence" on a x86 emulator on ARM, I imagine we're now awaiting a relaunch of "WM10", as Andromeda(?), so I keep faith and patience. Even though last week one major bank dropped support for WM10 and closed down their mobile banking app, it's becoming rather difficult to do "simple" things which are a "commodity" on other mobile platforms. Microsoft should be more clear on their intentions and cut to the chase with WM10. But perhaps there's something waiting, but it's not sure whether current WM10 devices can handle it... Also, Imho, UWP is really too limited in it's functionalities. Allow IoT and Win32 to be included would really create a far more flexible platform with lots of development opportunities on "WM10", or a new platform, too.

Simon Jonny

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
Been looking into android phones the last month or two... my current windows mobile is more than ready to be replace.
I don't have any faith in Microsoft to bring any support to it's oem partners when it comes to Windows Mobile anymore, but I really want to stay with Windows eco system as it could be great.
For that reason, I'll be getting a mid range android phone with hopes that microsoft will rejuvenate the stale mobile .. anything. Ahh who am I kidding :(

Anyway, cheap android handset to tide me over (or rather, get me used to android).. before I get something else.

Kirk Mitchell1

Oct 8, 2017
Visit site
Satya is the reason mobile is dieing. He didn't want mobile in the first place before he was made head. Just look back, Windows Mobile was growing specially over seas, while not rocket speeds, it was growing before he took over. Once he became head you started seeing less and less window promotions all the way to non existent. That's when sales started diminishing. Groove on other hand, Microsoft screwed that up the moment they dropped Zune. High quality music files, easy interface, tons of options. I can only imagine the ***** who came out and said, "I have a great idea." let's spend tons of money to change the name so we can replace all our promotions. And then we can drop our sound down to basic quality music files and to top it all off. Take away 90% of the options. Now who is the bigger *****, the guy who came up this idea or the executive that approved it?
I'm still staying with my windows mobile. I've been their guinepig for awhile now and i hope Satya gets his head out of his..... And we see a mind blowing compact surface with phone capabilities. Also, i absolutely hate apple. I sold electronics for a decade and I hate to tell you apple isn't as good as you think it is. Android, there are some issues i have with them. Microsoft vision is right but it's the overall implementation that needs work.

schlubadub

Dec 15, 2011
Visit site
Who else is with me? Till the bitter end we stick together, we will make it through, and we know good things come to those who wait.

I think the writing is on the wall that this will be my last Windows Phone. I have a 950 and freaking love it, but when I'm looking around for an upgrade in 1-2 years there simply won't be anything to buy. Since February the Windows Phones have disappeared from all local retailers and from the Microsoft store itself, with only the HP Elite still available at the latter. I would consider the Elite if the price was under AU$500 (currently over AU$1000). But in another year or so I doubt there will be a single handset I can buy, without going second hand or trying my luck on eBay

Ben Wolgus

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site

My 1520 finally crashed and screen shattered, I'm now looking for a 950XL as an upgrade or if I can find an HP x3 for cheap that'll be great too.

I don't think WM is a burning and a sinking ship at all, I just think we're in a transitional phase, and there's absolutely no reason why MS isn't doing something secretly in their Research Lab. They're most likely preparing for the post-smartphone era that's about to unfold in the next couple of years or so. I'm very excited to finally see the "foldable phone" they've been working on for quite some time now, and I'm sure it'll be great.

I would totally understand why you are leaving this platform, and it's absolutely within reason and totally justified, I won't miss you though because I know deep down inside, you've got a special place for WM and you'll eventually come back to us when a new spark has been ignited.

But for us who are staying and sticking through this long haul, we're going to be all right. Everything is going to be all right. We shall make it through and reap the rewards when the time is right.

Cree Ray

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
I am with Windows "mobile" since 2005 (actually Windows Mobile 5/6/6.5) and haven't been on any other platform since I moved to "SmartPhones"...and over the last decade I have seen MS kill everything that was good...listing a few..

• Zune device / Zune Software - Awesome !!! I still have a Zune 80g
  • Band
  • Microsoft Money
  • XBox Music
  • Groove
  • Windows 7.5
  • Windows 10 Mobile

There are others that I haven't listed...so after my current 950xl dies or the day I can buy a Nokia 8, I will leave this ecosystem...and try something else...just sad...

hawkes2

Oct 8, 2017
Visit site

My 950xl just took a nose dive and is now out for the count so I picked up a used idol 4s with windows on ebay for just over $100. Hopefully that will last me until there something to replace it with. I'm still a windows mobile guy

Ben Wolgus

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
My 950XL is already beginning to break down on me. The speaker doesn't always work on voice calls, freezes at lease once per day, the camera is no longer the best on the market. I am going to wait until 2018 before I spring for a new phone. Hopefully cshell brings us a pocket PC with phone functionality but if not I am going to step down into the world of Android. I just can't do IPhone.

gamo62

Feb 23, 2016
Visit site
"Who else is with me? Till the bitter end we stick together, we will make it through, and we know good things come to those who wait."

Not only no, but H E L L no. I am comparing this fiasco to a person who is constantly abused by a spouse, but after says that they love them. They cannot look past the humiliation and pain to say enough is enough. Do you blame the victim or the abuser? I have better things to do than to wait around for MS to slap me around again.
First Windows Mobile, then Groove. And now to find out that HP had all of these plans INCLUDING an X3 refresh, and MS just kicks them to the curb.
If you are in denial, that's fine. The only person affected is yourself. But for me, the moment HP releases an X3 on another platform, I am all over it. Why? Because unlike MS, they are not dispassionate.
https://www.windowscentral.com/hp-exec-says-elite-x3-plans-scrapped-because-microsofts-change-heart-mobile
This link says it all. From here on now, Windows mobile will be called the Titanic.

Last edited:

Accridition

Oct 8, 2017
Visit site
I hate to say it, but this is what the bitter end looks like. Have you tried Spotify? It sucks ***. On the PC side, I've got a great (albeit expensive) replacement in Roon + Tidal, but on the phone, I've got nothing now. I'll have to juggle local media in the now defunct Groove app and find a fake Tidal app - because Tidal doesn't make an app for Windows Mobile. The divided nature of this is going to drive me insane.

When Microsoft gives up the ghost on a music service - one of a small handful of CORE mobile scenarios, it's done. Stick a fork in it.

I'm still rocking my Lumia 950XL, and I love it. But, it's time to move on.

Disappointing to say, but I don't see a road back with a new mobile platform. They're slowly slipping away in the desktop space too. Nobody is making apps for Windows anymore - mobile or desktop. They've lost developer mindshare entirely.

mrpcpro

Sep 16, 2016
Visit site

I finally jumped ship. enough is enough. If Bill Gates doesn't even use a windows phone, what are the chances of this being around anymore. Microsoft will get out of the phone business, but with a tablet like device that makes calls. Makes sense. I was using a note 5, and it's pretty good. But I think Androids tend to get slower quickly. I'm using an Iphone 6s to see how I like it. It's not fun to play around with customization anymore, but the damn thing just works. That's something I can rarely say with Windows phone. Losing groove was a sad loss, but no family plan was breaking me anyway. But I've lost so many apps it's ridiculous. Could I survive with a 950 xl. Probably I could. Especially with the great camera. But at this point I'm going to stick with what I have and wait to see what happens in 2018. Maybe they can win me back, but I'm not convinced the app gap can be overcome. I would love to see them build on Android. MS apps works better on Android then Windows Phone

DaleAStiles

Nov 4, 2015
Visit site
I've been with Windows Mobile since the 6.0 days. My phone had a full QWERTY slider keyboard and a stylus. To me, that was the epitome of a smartphone. This was obviously before the iPhone or the Android were released on the market without a physical keyboard and an entire screen of flickability. I don't really like typing on glass of any kind so my phone is really just a phone but I do like having a nice camera. Nokia provided that and I've had several. My Nokia 1520 still works and the battery life is still amazing on it. I did upgrade to the 950XL but still use my 1520 from time to time. For Windows Mobile to survive, they are going to need a new phone with a decent camera because there are a lot of great phones with great cameras now and if I jump ship, that will be my why.

extrikate

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
My Alcatel Idol 4s has a cracked screen. I have struggled with my options and have decided to pull the trigger. After 13 years of using Windows Mobile/Phone exclusively, I am moving to Android. I finally realized that I can only justify staying with Windows if I am willing to make, and accept, excuses. I can no longer wait for the apps to come or suffer the exodus of the ones we actually had.

I'm sure that there will be things I miss and plenty of things I don't like about Android, but they will be offset by having hardware and software options. I will finally be able to use my banks app, monitor my trips, and set my security system without using a crippled mobile website. It will be nice to just have simple conveniences instead of workarounds.

I will stay up to date on Microsofts efforts and look forward to a device that redefines the mobile space. Until then, I just want something that works. People will point out Androids flaws and I am well aware that it isn't perfect but neither is W10M.

SvenJ

Aug 23, 2013
Visit site
I just have to look at my Plays-for-Sure MP3 player, Portable Media Center, Zune, Band, etc. to know that's not true.

That's sort of telling all in itself isn't it? To replace your broken WP, you are having to search for two year old products to replace it. Products that their own OEMs have said they are not continuing. You are having to replace obsolete with abandoned.

I'm actually as big a WP fan as anyone, but with nothing new in years (OS updates, sure), and no clear commitment from MS makes it hard not to explore the options. I have always had iPhones and Androids along side my WPs. I can't diss them unless I understand them ;). At this point I have started carrying them as primary. There is a lot to like about them, and less and less to like about WP every day. Unfortunately those platforms have perfected lockin, so once you embrace them it becomes harder and harder to let them go, even if MS comes up with something wonderful. MS had some lockin of their own, Edge, Groove, Band, Office, OneDrive, and they have either dropped those things or made them universally available, so dropping MS mobile, while painful, is driven by MS themselves. Sad.

plastic-budgie

Aug 6, 2015
Visit site
I am sticking with my 950xl until it becomes unusable, I don't trust google with my data and despise apple as they charge you for whatever you want to do with phone even to the point they remove the ear phone socket so you have to buy Ear buds from them, The main thing I miss on my windows phone is the official FM Radio app but Sygic Satnav is great, I only play music that is on my phone so loosing Groove doesn't bother me, Facebook app is a bit naff but who cares, email client is great, On the apple phone you have to move the screen to read the emails where as windows makes it all visable by wrapping the text. I am looking forward to the next big thing with mobile and hope it comes from Microsoft.

Vinu Varghese M

Feb 13, 2015
Visit site

I bought my Lumia 1520 back in 26th September, 2014. Till date the phone is working like as good as new (Insider Release Preview) and I had never dropped her even once in last 3 years.

Last week I bought a new Mi Max 2 (can't go for a phone less than 6" now). So technically I have jumped the ship for my daily driver at 1/3rd cost of Lumia I bought then. But I am keeping my Lumia 1520 as a backup phone and hope one day the much awaited Surface phone on ARM will happens.

Cheers!

Vinu

Neill Baldwin

May 16, 2015
Visit site
For now, I think I've had it. I still think it is by far the best UI of the 3 but I'm using Android for the most part because it just works. The apps I need are there and everything goes as it should. I hold on to my Windows phones just to keep up and play around.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MatthewHilbers