I'm standing my ground, and sticking with Windows Mobile.

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
Based in the rumor today from Brad Sams, it's not a phone. So those waiting til the end..... the end was here when they killed the Lumia line, and again when they publicly stated they are no longer actively working on the OS. It's D. E. A. D. dead. I was one of the hold outs. Going to finger a pixel 2 this weekend and see how it feels.

Good luck Allen. Haven’t used a Pixel but they seem like nice phones.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Based in the rumor today from Brad Sams, it's not a phone. So those waiting til the end..... the end was here when they killed the Lumia line, and again when they publicly stated they are no longer actively working on the OS. It's D. E. A. D. dead. I was one of the hold outs. Going to finger a pixel 2 this weekend and see how it feels.
Which Pixel are you looking at, the regular or the XL? What colour do you like?

Allen Rhodes

Feb 9, 2014
Visit site
Which Pixel are you looking at, the regular or the XL? What colour do you like?

I'm looking at all the Pixels. Will be in a case, so the color is irrelevant to my wife and I. Prob a 2 for her and a 2xl for me. And yes, it will be a husband and wife simultaneous fingering if the Pixel 2 line at the Verizon store in Pflugerville TX if anyone wants a show.

Zeem Frostmaw

Dec 6, 2013
Visit site
I’m curious about the folks who are pining for the Andromeda device as to whether they will use it as a primary handset. Sure, it will supposedly have telephony but will y’all put that brick to your head to talk? I’m assuming people still have voice conversations right?

In South Florida we have this marvel of nature called the beach and I promise you that a phone that size doesn’t fit in swim shorts. Further, I also guarantee it will grow legs within 10 minutes after you walk more than 10 yards away from it. The same could be said if you’re at the tennis court, gym or any place where you wouldn’t normally have your phone on you.

Just some random thoughts on a lazy Sunday afternoon when your team doesn’t play. For a Dolphins fan that’s not necessarily a bad thing.

I'm not sure if it will replace my phone, given that it's rumoured to be a 7 inch device which is going to strain at most people's pockets - but it could, given that I don't take phone calls very often and I don't really need to have a phone on me at all times.

Either way I'm happy to wait and see. I'm not all-in on the Surface Pocket but I have no quarrels with my 950, certainly not enough quarrels to make me spend £500-£1000+ on a replacement of similar or higher specs. No app is worth that.

bebochek

Jan 22, 2017
Visit site
I too am standing my ground. I'm using a Nokia Lumia 730 dual sim and a Microsoft Lumia 650 dual sim as is my wife. I just bought a 950 XL and waiting for it to come in the mail. I will buy replacement batteries for all of them to keep'em running as long as I can. I have no problems with these Phones and have all the apps I need. WhatsApp, Telegram, Line, WeChat, Viber, Skype, banking, maps, weather, metro. Instagram still works but won't update because now it needs 2GB ram and I'll have that on the 950XL. I used Android for 2 years before I bought a 730 and I never got used to it. For me their way of doing things just didn't make sense. I don't like Google as a company and stay as far a way as possible too. I think I could hold out for at least 5 more years with Windows Phone.

MrockNroll

May 24, 2013
Visit site
I’m curious about the folks who are pining for the Andromeda device as to whether they will use it as a primary handset. Sure, it will supposedly have telephony but will y’all put that brick to your head to talk? I’m assuming people still have voice conversations right?

In South Florida we have this marvel of nature called the beach and I promise you that a phone that size doesn’t fit in swim shorts. Further, I also guarantee it will grow legs within 10 minutes after you walk more than 10 yards away from it. The same could be said if you’re at the tennis court, gym or any place where you wouldn’t normally have your phone on you.

Just some random thoughts on a lazy Sunday afternoon when your team doesn’t play. For a Dolphins fan that’s not necessarily a bad thing.

fatclue_98 , I like the beach too even here in Michigan, yes you are right I wouldn't leave it out in the open. I would use it with a smart watch, Fitbit waterproof and stay connected in those situations. I might use the speaker phone a bit more also depending on the size. My 950XL is a good size for now. Just hoping they come through and make it by the end of 2018. :)

TLRtheory

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
After nearly a month of bouncing between iPhone 7 Plus and Galaxy S8, I think I may soon be returning to my Lumia 950 and sticking it out with you guys.

None of the "W10-style" interfaces are as good as the real one, the Lumia camera experience is unparalleled, and... I miss my mobile Xbox games.

...and though MS doesn't care about us anymore, I see my app updates keep rollin in.

Adisa Akintola

Nov 4, 2017
Visit site
I'm certainly not gonna rush out to buy a new phone. Absolutely loving my 950xl. The primary reason for me using the Windows phone was for the truly superb interface. I'll happily stick with this platform for as long as my phone lasts. Thankfully there is no need for me to change. I certainly dont feel betrayed by a computer company. Lol, we're not friends I'm just a consumer and I like their products.

SUCKITUPBUTTERCUP

Aug 22, 2013
Visit site
Fools! Go ahead and leave! You'll be back! But if you were Microsoft Fan boys you would know that Microsoft had to end W10M platform for the same reasons WP7, WP7.5, WP8, and WP8.1. They hit a wall in what they are trying to do. "universal OS. For those uninformed So called Microsoft fan boys....They will continue to develop phones. Just not under W10 mobile. They scrapped it to reengage With W10 OS ("WCOS"). This will do away with Fragmented W10 OS's. No more W10 mobile, W10RT, W10 pro, basic, home...etc...etc.. . Instead One Universal OS which simply will be known as W10. Single OS that can be used by OEM's to choose specific features to be installed on to a device which best suites it's purpose. In other words. Hp designs a notebook and builds a phone for example.... They don't have to purchase the phone OS and a PC OS. Even better...they don't have to design the notebook to run one OS and design a phone to run another. So, go ahead! Jump ship...I'll see you and ask you how the crowe tastes...lol.

LightenSkies

Apr 25, 2016
Visit site
Still using my Lumia 950. Not wasting money on new phone till mine dies. Seriously so many people are so ungrateful for what they have and throw money away.

dov1978

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
Said farewell to my 950xl about 6 months ago but I'm really starting to miss it. The shortcomings frustrated the hell out of me and what ultimately made me move back to Android but all the nice things about it are the things that's making me look around for another. I won't be using it as my daily driver but I'll use it as my work phone again and for nostalgia most likely.

slooksterpsv

Feb 12, 2014
Visit site
What a silly statement. Most Android phones still receive updates even if they are just security patches on older phones. You really need to do your homework.

He’s right. Especially phones that are in the relatively cheap spectrum. I had 4 different android phones that had come out only months prior to purchase and never received an update on any of them.

Elky64

Jun 2, 2017
Visit site
For those "sticking with it" I'd like to know how your web browsing experience is (any WM device). That has been one of my main complaints since the app-gap has broadened.

Like yesterday, fired up my 950 just to browse the web - last used device over a week ago for 9-days as my daily driver - trying to access most sites via Edge or BlueSky was like watching paint dry and it felt as if we were thrown back several years in terms of technology. W10M IMHO has NEVER felt up to speed in this particular area and one reason it fails to fulfill my everyday duties. Can easily replicated same on our 650/830 too, somewhat more understandable considering their specs yet it still should be better, way better especially on our 950.

Compared to my Android's it'd literally day and night so obviously you know what my go-to devices are... Actually have no issues with the "other" side but would like the ability to enjoy our Windows Phones when that urge comes about - have many more problems than just this but browsing the web in itself really cripples the their overall usability/usefulness.

Any opinions, thoughts?

Elky64

Jun 2, 2017
Visit site
He’s right. Especially phones that are in the relatively cheap spectrum. I had 4 different android phones that had come out only months prior to purchase and never received an update on any of them.

For me the differentiator is that on Android, those apps I had on my G4 over two years ago still work today and are being continually updated. So although this phone hasn't seen a multitude of updates I haven't lost any functionality. Actually (IMHO) it performs better than new and keeps pace easily with most of today's phones, for my type of use.

Can't say the above is true for Windows Phone. Sure its had a wrath of updates over the years yet I have seen little improvement/advancements where the "real world" is concerned.

So it's a no-brainer which platform I'd choose, and did.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
For me the differentiator is that on Android, those apps I had on my G4 over two years ago still work today and are being continually updated. So although this phone hasn't seen a multitude of updates I haven't lost any functionality. Actually (IMHO) it performs better than new and keeps pace easily with most of today's phones, for my type of use.

Google Play Services update autonomously. That is why an old Android device still works well.

Then there's this thing of devices not getting Google's monthly security updates. However, although exploits theoretically exist, this doesn't seem to be a big problem in real life. It's pretty much just a problem on paper.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
janecruise