In Need of Help: Nokia Lumia 530 to Win10?

RelaxedPerson

Jul 21, 2016
Visit site
hi everyone, i'm a brand new user here. this place seems great so i'm very happy to be part of it!

i've got a Nokia Lumia 530 here running Win8.1. I just tried updating it to Win10, but it doesn't mention that an update is available.

what can i do?

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
The 530 is not officially supported for Windows 10 Mobile, sorry. What you can do if you really want it is to download the Windows Insider app, choose Release Preview ring to get it. If I'm not mistaken, updates will stop because your device is not supported officially.

I hope someone else can come in and confirm what I said, if I'm not correct, just correct me please.

EspHack

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
updates will probably stop after anniversary goes official for mobile, so you better hurry up if you want w10 on that phone the easy way

RelaxedPerson

Jul 21, 2016
Visit site
thanks so much for the replies.

i know today is the last day that Windows 10 will be free. if i stay with Windows 8 on my Nokia Lumia 530 will i still receive security updates and other updates?

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
thanks so much for the replies.

i know today is the last day that Windows 10 will be free. if i stay with Windows 8 on my Nokia Lumia 530 will i still receive security updates and other updates?
Security updates, I doubt it. There might be occasional app updates though. Skype will no longer work after October of this year.

RelaxedPerson

Jul 21, 2016
Visit site
Security updates, I doubt it. There might be occasional app updates though. Skype will no longer work after October of this year.

WOW, really???

i may upgrade to Windows 10 Mobile then, but if i upgrade to Windows 10 Mobile on my Nokia Lumia 530 won't i run into serious problems later because it's not officially supported...?

RelaxedPerson

Jul 21, 2016
Visit site
i'm glad to hear that!

let's say i upgrade to Win10 Mobile on the Nokia Lumia 530 and i need tech support: Couldn't Microsoft say that "Windows 10 Mobile isn't support on the Lumia 530"???

milkyway

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
Hi there! You can't get W10 through Insider Release Preview Ring anymore. MS cleared this Ring for Redstone builds. You are now stuck with WP 8.1 (unless you are willing to hack your registry to get Redstone)

EspHack

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
Originally posted by RelaxedPerson
i'm glad to hear that!

let's say i upgrade to Win10 Mobile on the Nokia Lumia 530 and i need tech support: Couldn't Microsoft say that "Windows 10 Mobile isn't support on the Lumia 530"???

yes they would say exactly that, and you're out of time, now if you want w10 you will have to regedit your phone, go check XDA for that matter

RelaxedPerson

Jul 21, 2016
Visit site
Hi there! You can't get W10 through Insider Release Preview Ring anymore. MS cleared this Ring for Redstone builds. You are now stuck with WP 8.1 (unless you are willing to hack your registry to get Redstone)

ahhh really? i don't mind using Windows Mobile 8.1 but i just want to make sure i'll keep receiving security updates...

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
You can still use it. Just be aware that app updates are going to be reduced, if not stopped. And you will no longer be able to use Skype after October 2016.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
thanks!

so the Lumia 530 will be still safe to use even if it's running Windows Phone 8.1 and it's not getting any updates...???

WP8.1 will remain safe for the foreseeable future and it never really saw security updates like desktop Windows. But yea no more updates.

RelaxedPerson

Jul 21, 2016
Visit site
mmm that really sucks for me... :crying::crying::crying:

so Win8.1 won't get any more updates so what else can i do to run something that'll get updates???

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
mmm that really sucks for me... :crying::crying::crying:

so Win8.1 won't get any more updates so what else can i do to run something that'll get updates???

Buy a newer Windows Phone. (like the Lumia 650 or 830 or... Update future is murky with Microsoft's history clashing with the potential of 10.)

Buy an iPhone. (Probably as new as you can afford for most long-term updates.)

Buy a Android Nexus. (Guarantee version updates are maybe 2 years so that's shorter than it should be, but you do get security updates for three and the option to use custom ROMs. maybe Blackberry)

I would strongly consider option 2 since it's easiest and foolproof.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte