Is it possible to copy an app from my laptop and get it to work on my phone?

slim6y

Dec 22, 2014
Visit site
It appears Snap Chat has clamped down on third party users of the application and you can no longer get Snapper or Pro Snap 2 from the Windows 8 store. But I still have it installed already on my tablet and laptop - so can I copy a file to install it on my phone. A quick search suggests this is impossible, but really, I can't see how it's impossible.

So, any quick life hacks for this?

Harrie-S

Retired Ambassador
Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
Actual it should be I can NOT see how it is possible. So no this is not possible sorry

Last edited:

gMaesterUK

Jun 29, 2014
Visit site
No, it won't work as MS like Apple uses Sandboxes for security. I do believe Snapchat will release an app, the question is when...

G.

RichardBurt

Banned
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
Seriously? You think it should be possible?

Ermm, the differences between CPU's should have been the first thing you thought of. Then RAM requirements. Then the fact that it a PHONE, not a LAPTOP.

slim6y

Dec 22, 2014
Visit site
Well, actually - I'd have thought it was more the fact that something like a small app installed on my laptop (like Snapper or Pro Snap 2) would in fact work on my phone (using your CPU and RAM requirements thought). So, yes, I did think about that. Funny enough I think my phone has more CPU power than my laptop (lappy is about 4 years old).

mathsisbest

Nov 1, 2014
Visit site
Well, actually - I'd have thought it was more the fact that something like a small app installed on my laptop (like Snapper or Pro Snap 2) would in fact work on my phone (using your CPU and RAM requirements thought). So, yes, I did think about that. Funny enough I think my phone has more CPU power than my laptop (lappy is about 4 years old).

If snap chat develop a universal app for Windows then we'll be able to use snap chat on your win8 tablet/laptop and sync it with your Windows phone

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
We can all sit here and say "It won't work" until you turn blue getting mad because you still don't understand why it doesn't work. I'm going to try to go the extra step and break it down for you. I am going to make it basic enough for non-techies, at least I'm going to try. This isn't something I do often, but I feel it might help some people understand a bit better, or at least that is my hope.

It's not a matter of if your phone CPU is powerful enough, or if it will fit in the memory footprint of your phone.

The physical CPU architecture is different. It requires different binary language, so to speak, to talk to the laptop than it does to talk to the phone. The basic languages of the machines are different, so you have to have a different compiled program for the laptop and the phone, so that each has it in their native language.

Think of it like this. You have a book that you really like. You give it to the hotel concierge and assign him the task to read it to you. He does so, because he can read the language (English) the book is written in. The next night, you want more of the book read, but the concierge on duty does not speak the same language. Although he is intelligent enough, and has good eyesight, he doesn't understand the language. It's the same with the Laptop and Phone. You go from a CPU with x86 or x64 architecture on a laptop to a phone that has an ARM processor, and they are completely different worlds. A program compiled/written for one cannot be understood on the other without it being rewritten or recompiled for the other platform.

Does that help you understand why it won't work?

slim6y

Dec 22, 2014
Visit site
Analogies in science rarely work. I loved your analogy, it's beautiful. I don't now whether I read it in the Comic Store Guy voice on purpose or not though.

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
I apologise if this has been mentioned already. Yes it is possible to deploy a Windows Phone appx file from your laptop to your phone but only if it is a non store app. Store appx and xap files are encrypted which makes it impossible to deploy from the laptop, you wold need to copy it onto the SD Card, assuming your phone is able to have one added, and install it through the Store on your phone, there are two caveats to this method though:

1. You must have already downloaded the app before
2. The app must exist in the Store

You won't be able to install the app you want to install though as even though number one applies, number two does not.

slim6y

Dec 22, 2014
Visit site
So it is possible, just not in this case then? That kind of sucks. But hopefully Snap Chat will bring a Windows version. Thanks for the reply.

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
So it is possible, just not in this case then? That kind of sucks. But hopefully Snap Chat will bring a Windows version. Thanks for the reply.

I wouldn't get your hopes up about that, Microsoft do have WindUp but it's only on WP and I wonder if pushing Microsoft to release it on iOS and Android would finally wake up SnapChat when they start losing their userbase to a rival product.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb