Is wireless charging worth it?

raycpl

Apr 6, 2013
Visit site
wireless chargers is a good option to consider. ... the convenience to plop your phone on the plate before I go to sleep, and to wake up to a fully charged phone... no to mention no fiddling with the USB plugs at night (esp after several beers.......LOL)

joe_carmigiano

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
Personally, I do not see the advantage. Tried it and for me it is just easier to plug it in. Plus I noticed a significant time increase when on the wireless charger. That's just my opinion. Now if someone can invent a charger that actually wirelessly can charge a device from across the room...that I would be interested in.

jmshub

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
I have two charging plates, one at home beside my bed and one at my desk at work. It has become a killer feature for me, I wouldn't want my next phone to not have it.

jleebiker

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
How many people on this thread that are knocking wireless charging have ACTUALLY used it?

For those that say it charges more slowly, it's marginal at best. When I use a wireless charging pad for my 928, my battery meter will show that it is charging as high as 50%/hour. That's pretty dang good in my opinion.

For those that say it gets hotter, again, I think it's marginal.

I have 3 chargers, office desk, nightstand and car. Basically, anytime it's not in my hands, it's close to a charger or on a charger. Therefore, my battery stays close to being charged a lot. To me, that's worth the $29.99. Also, as someone who has returned more than a few phones due to the mini and micro USB port failing due to wear and tear, being able to charge without wear and tear on the post is AWESOME!

Trust me, it's worth the price.

socalgunner

Jul 16, 2014
Visit site
I am very pleased with the wireless charging for the 1020... I preferred the wireless charging on the 925 as I "hacked the phone" to make it internal... But the 1020 works well also. I have a wireless charger on my desk, on my nightstand and I had one mounted in the dash of my car. I prefer it after having some USB connectors go bad on previous phones. I am never in a huge hurry to charge a phone, so speed is not a concern. And I have never had a heat issue while charging wirelessly.
I often have to "run off" from my office and its nice to be able to grab the phone without the need to unplug it!

savagelizards

Feb 7, 2014
Visit site
How many people on this thread that are knocking wireless charging have ACTUALLY used it?

I use it, and I will tell you why I don't like it.

Here's my beef. I have the Icon (929) which is functionally identical to the 930. I use a regular charger at home and in the car, and a wireless charging stand on my desk at work. It's nice to have the charging stand, because I can keep the battery topped up, and I need to do so because the battery is undersized for a quad-core device with that handsome, full-1080p display.

So the wireless charging works okay, but it's really a work-around for a device that constantly needs charging. Had Nokia not included the charging coil in the construction of the phone, they would have had more room for a larger battery - thus eliminating the need to keep charging it all the time.

For me, I would gladly take the convenience of a battery that can make it through the day over a device that's easy to recharge and requires you to do so frequently.

FredBloggs007

Apr 22, 2012
Visit site
All my chargers (bedside, car, desk at work, couple around the house) are all Qi and I could never go back to a wired USB version. Why? Well, the charging pads are dotted around in places were I'd naturally place my phone, so its getting charged without me making any conscious effort to do so.

Tom Snyder

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site
I have 2 wireless chargers for my 920, my sons even use them on what ever kind of android phones they have when they're at the house. That's one of the things which has kept me from buying a 1520 on AT&T they've disabled it.

I really think its very convenient as well, plus the fact that you are not plugging in the USB socket all the time taking a chance on damaging it. As for it being slower I don't know, so easy to plunk it down on the pad when I'm not using it and let it get some charge and my battery does really good too. I can go about 36 hrs if I want to let my phone go down to 15% and I stay in a area with good cell signal and my battery drain has done better since I have turned off auto update on my apps and go to the Store and check myself. Before with the auto-update notification my phone would go spastic and get hot, drain the battery quick and I knew then its time to do the calender trick and usually I'd find I had a back load of app updates.

ShinraCorp

Feb 13, 2014
Visit site
I have the Nokia Bluetooth speakers with wireless charging on it and I must say it's a really nice thing to have. It charges just as fast as a wired one however it will get hot (not burning hot but you'll feel the difference) because it's charging via a copper pad inside the phone.

akin_t

Sep 30, 2014
Visit site

For those that say it charges more slowly, it's marginal at best. When I use a wireless charging pad for my 928, my battery meter will show that it is charging as high as 50%/hour. That's pretty dang good in my opinion.

For those that say it gets hotter, again, I think it's marginal.

I have 3 chargers, office desk, nightstand and car. Basically, anytime it's not in my hands, it's close to a charger or on a charger. Therefore, my battery stays close to being charged a lot. To me, that's worth the $29.99. Also, as someone who has returned more than a few phones due to the mini and micro USB port failing due to wear and tear, being able to charge without wear and tear on the post is AWESOME!

Trust me, it's worth the price.

I've used it everyday for the past 2 years on my Lumia 920.

I don't hate the feature, I just hate the design trade-offs that are being made to accommodate it; namely, battery capacity and bulk. While I'm not a fetishist for razor thin phones, I do realize that my Lumia 920 is rather bulky and heavy for no reason.

I can live without wireless charging pretty easily.

stephen_az

Banned
Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
Hey guys, I'm from South Africa and for some reason my Lumia 930 came with a really good headset but not a wireless charger. Now, I can buy an official Nokia one (like European 930's come with in the box) at a decent price. My question is, is it worth it? I've heard it's really convenient and easy to use. The money isn't a problem either, but then again, I'm not pulling my hair out because I have to use a normal charger, so this falls in the "would be a nice Christmas treat to myself" category.

What do you guys think? Also, will it charge at the same pace as with my normal, "wired" charger?
If you have.a cat that likes to rearrange your desk, it can be a bit hit or miss at times. Otherwise, it is a pretty useful purchase particularly if found cheap and the Nokia chargers are occasionally quite cheap. In the US I picked up a couple for my VZW Lumia 928 and 822 from an AT&T store for $15 and $25. BTW, at least with the those phones, I haven't noticed any significant difference in heat when charging wirelessly vs the cable and the charge cycle isn't that much longer.

Karthik Naik

Banned
Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
i hate the fact that we have to buy charging covers for phones such as the 720
i dont even mind paying for the cover and charger separately but the real issue is getting one,i cannot find it locally and online(talking about the cover not the charger)

TechmeIN64

Sep 23, 2014
Visit site
I'd rather have a phone with a metal unibody frame and a larger battery, imo. Then again, I've never used wireless charging so I don't know all the benefits.
I get the feeling I wouldn't like it because I like to use my phone while it is charging and I'm in bed. This seems very difficult with a wireless charger.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I'd rather have a phone with a metal unibody frame and a larger battery, imo. Then again, I've never used wireless charging so I don't know all the benefits.
I get the feeling I wouldn't like it because I like to use my phone while it is charging and I'm in bed. This seems very difficult with a wireless charger.

I keep a Fatboy pillow on my nightstand, so I'll just plop my 920 on the Fatboy pillow when I'm ready to plop my head on my bed pillow.
WP_20140208_001.jpg

Last edited:

bilzkh

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
Personally, I do not see the advantage. Tried it and for me it is just easier to plug it in. Plus I noticed a significant time increase when on the wireless charger. That's just my opinion. Now if someone can invent a charger that actually wirelessly can charge a device from across the room...that I would be interested in.
I don't know...I found it easier to put the phone on something for it to charge than to find the cable, hook it up and leave it...and at night/waking up, I remember messing up my Focus' micro-USB slot while trying to turn it off. With the Lumia 920 I've just had to pick it up and put it back.

Pieter Wolff

Aug 9, 2013
Visit site
I have been using my wireless charger for my 720 now since June 2013 and simply love it. Would have loved to get the Fat Boy version but found the price exessive. So got myself a Golla phone cover at a fraction of the Fat Boy's price and the charger fits perfectly. The only gripe I have is that I found the wireless covers rather slippery as compared to for example the Nokia CC 1057 cover. So whenever my phone needs a charge I change to a wireless cover and pop the phone onto my Golla. Just perfect!

Golla Rivetto Denim Phone Pocket Dark Blue | eBay

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DuckMcScrooge