It's not so bad - look at iOS 7.1.1

squire777

Feb 21, 2012
Visit site
I know a lot of people have been complaining about WP 8.1 and bashing MS for releasing an update that is incomplete or buggy in their eyes. A lot of these people also mention that they wish updates would be as smooth as those for Android or iOS. Well updates for those platforms are hardly ever that smooth and often cause more problems than what the 8.1 update has caused for us.

Just take a look at iOS 7.1.1 which was released recently. There are widespread complaints in the Apple community that the update is bricking devices, wiping out data and even making the prior iOS 7 battery drain issue even worse (an issue that it was supposed to fix).

So yeah the grass isn't always greener on the other side.

anon(7900571)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
Help my ipad with iOS 7.1.1 have serious problems , safari and other apps are crashing /springboard restart randomly and pathetic battery life lol windows tablet is perfect with regular updates :winktongue:

anon(5445874)

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
I personally know people who lost all their text messages and contacts when they updated their iphones. At the time I thought it was funny, still do.

L Beezy

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
My daughter's 4s suffered from that but in iOS 7.1.1... lost her contacts and text messages as well.

Also, I want to mention Kit Kat 4.4 on Android as well. It was bricking devices as well as having a huge security vulnerability, which caused Google to push out two fixes within a week. Mind you, this was no DEVELOPER'S PREVIEW...this was the real deal. Suffered for it with my N10.

This just goes to show all these whiners and complainers about WP8.1 that it happens to every OS!

Will6371

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
My daughter's 4s suffered from that but in iOS 7.1.1... lost her contacts and text messages as well.

Also, I want to mention Kit Kat 4.4 on Android as well. It was bricking devices as well as having a huge security vulnerability, which caused Google to push out two fixes within a week. Mind you, this was no DEVELOPER'S PREVIEW...this was the real deal. Suffered for it with my N10.

This just goes to show all these whiners and complainers about WP8.1 that it happens to every OS!

O good christ almighty don't talk to me about kitkat, had a nexus 7 2nd edition and it was one of the reasons why I tried windows in the first place.

When I think about it I should be thanking Google and kitkat.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
I have an ipad mini an its had a problem since I got it. When I'm typing, if I want to go back to edit a particular word, it get stuck in some copy paste mode and will not let go. Never happened on my Dell Venue Pro. All started after I updated to the NEW 7.0.

k0de

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
Lost everything on my last update on my iPhone 5s. Not only that the update hung up and failed to complete OTA. I had to connect to my PC and finish the update with iTunes. Dev preview 8.1 so far is a walk in the park.

L Beezy

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
For some people, when you're so focused on just one product line--or one OS in this case, all others seem "better" when that one product line have issues or temporarily falls short. That's the closed-mindedness of people sometimes. I have been guilty of it in the past as well.

kristalsoldier

Oct 23, 2013
Visit site
Don't know what to say! iOS 7.11 has been good for my iPad Air - better battery life and otherwise stable. But then equally, my Surface 2 has also been stable - unlike what some have posted here and elsewhere - and my Lumia 720 has also been stable with perhaps better battery life than before (with 8.0) after I updated to WP 8.1 (though I had to reset the phone once).

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
I actually haven't heard complaints from Apple users. Huh. Will keep my ear to the ground as a point of curiosity.

Mostly though I do not care about the Apple updates or the Android ones. I am concerned about the GENERAL WP 8.1 update (not our developer preview) when it comes out. I have 2 kids who love their WP 8's. (L920 and L1020.) Want them to continue loving it. I do not consider other OS's failings an excuse for WP to fail. They have enough sales and supporters they can afford to have problems. MS doesn't.

Poirots Progeny

Dec 22, 2013
Visit site
Upgraded an iphone 5s and an iPad air without any issues - the iphone definitely is experiencing better battery life - and it was awful before. The odd warming issue is gone also. Which is vital for work - I have wp and blackberry devices also, and the comparison is interesting.

As for the 8.1 developer PREVIEW - the name gives it away. Most of the people complaining should never have had it anyway. It's feature complete but needs the (many) bugs ironed out. That is different from what Apple released.

Don't get me started on android 4.4...

Nothing comes out perfect, whether companies are honest or not. It is really in how the company addresses the faults - and how fast - that engenders reliability and trust.

When the 8.1 update starts rolling out formally we can compare the releases - until then, keep sending bug complaints to MS so they can improve what is already a (generally) great experience.

A895

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
1.) This is ridiculous

2.)So we are know bashing and circlejerking other platforms to feel better about a an update on a phone?

First off this is a forum, of course you will SEE more bad than good, because people have problems and want solutions to their problems. Secondly, this UPDATE was not a wide release update, meaning update at your own peril. If someone updated their phones and had problems then that is in reality their own fault. As far as iOS and Android go, all updates mess up some peoples devices it just depends on whether you will actually hear about it (through forums or other outlets). Instead of bashing other platforms as it is going in this thread so far, maybe we should be spending time and energy helping those who need help around here. My $.02.

SatinSpellbinder

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
I love my Nokia Lumia 925 with Windows 8.1 installed.
I also love my iPad mini with iOS 7.1.1 installed without problems.
What some people don't seem to realise is that you should NOT download updates using your carrier's signal, i.e. if you're on the move but picking up EE (for example)'s signal. Nor should you download an update when using someone else's wi-fi (if you're in a wi-fi caf?, for example). You should wait until you're home and then download an update from your own, secure wi-fi. Almost all the problems from iOS 7.1 update were because of the former and I doubt that Windows is any different.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MatthewHilbers