Landscape Start Screen Coming soon?

unstoppablekem

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
Well, I was on CrackBerry, then an ad popped up from Verizon, showed some Windows Phone stuff, and some of the icons were the wrong ones, like always (idk why carriers do that), then it showed the Ativ Odyssey start screen in landscape. The tiles also look weird. You think this might be in the next version of Windows Phone and Verizon accidentally put it on that ad, crap advertisement, or both? Comment below and take the poll.

https://skydrive.live.com/pagenotfounderror

Attachments

• Horizontal_WP_.png
    Horizontal_WP_.png
    40.9 KB · Views: 6

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I'll go with bad advertising, like that image of an iPhone with the Windows Phone tiles that's been circulating on the web.

unstoppablekem

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
I'll go with bad advertising, like that image of an iPhone with the Windows Phone tiles that's been circulating on the web.
Never seen that image.

But speaking of images, your signature is so much nicer than mowned (like mine). And it says we can't use signature images, but idk because everyone has them.

squire777

Feb 21, 2012
Visit site
I don't really see the point of being able to view the start screen in landscape mode. When you pull your phone out and look at it to start with it's always going to be in portrait mode.

tungha

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
I don't really see the point of being able to view the start screen in landscape mode. When you pull your phone out and look at it to start with it's always going to be in portrait mode.

and if it happens, we'll suppose to have the lock orientation feature, I cannot imagine how inconvenient it is when laying in my bed :D

vakama94

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site

But what if, let's say, I'm looking at a web page in landscape and then I want to return to the start screen but I don't want to move my hand to put the phone on portrait. I guess someone could see that as convenient.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk 2

GoodThings2Life

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
I still look at web sites in Portrait mode. I hate doing anything other than video/pictures/games in Landscape.

I get annoyed when I'm laying in bed and my text messages go landscape.

Tobias Ernst

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site
If you want your phone to stay in portrait mode in bed, you'd use the new screen orientation lock feature in GDR 3, so that would prevent the home screen from rotating (if it were able to to so).

I find myself using my Symbian phone's home screen in landscape mode when it is mounted in my car. I use Car Mode and Nokia Here maps for navigation, obviously, in landscape mode, because that's the better orientation for car mounting. Then e.g. when I get into a traffic jam and nothing is happening on the road I leave the phone in the mount but press the home button to get to the start screen, have a quick look at new incoming mail etc.That's OK and safe, but obviously, while driving, I would not want to remove my phone from the mount and hold it in my hands just to have it in portrait mode so as to be able to use the homescreen ...

To me, the home screen not being available in landscape mode in Windows Phone is a big showstopper that makes we want to stay with Symbian as long as possible.

Frankly, I cannot understand why users keep discussing about the usefulness of a feature. ANY feature that was there in other, older mobile OSes was useful to SOMEONE, and SOMEONE has grown attached to it for sure and will miss it in WP if it is not there. The goal should be to make Windows Phone as feature complete as possible. (If you want a minimalistic feature set, you'd be using iOS anyway ...).

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nathanboro12