List here what you DO NOT like on 8.1.

mojo321

Apr 15, 2014
Visit site
1. Video scrub was only added to Xbox video, not to the general media player that YouTube or other sites use. Video scrub is nonexistent. Little 30 second skipped that make it lock up doesn't count as scrub.

2. Can't attach office files to emails
3. Can't manage office files in folders. I have many many projects. I can't just leave all these spreadsheets loose in the same folder.
4. Cortana is not as good as I thought she would be. No jokes for me. No chit chat. Just Siri with a different name.
5. Fm radio doesn't work. Just static. Is this a firmware issue?
6. Games in the applist.
7. Barcode scanning in the camera?
8. Generally speaking, I don't like that I am not able to impress any of my iPhone friends. Fix that pleeeeeaaaaase.

Oh, I do like the swipe keyboard. That's as close as I've gotten to impressing anyone.

Kram Sacul

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
It's as good as I imagined but some changes are annoying and actually detracting from all the positives.

Games in the app list.
System tray icons don't auto-hide anymore.
Photo hub is a visual downgrade.
You can no longer pinch out on a picture and scroll quickly through your camera roll.
Wrong charging sound/chime.
They took out the cursor to edit text and put in the copy text bubbles.
They took out the bounce animation that happens when you swipe to the top or bottom of the start screen/app list.
Some of the new animations are kind of wonky and not as elegant/smooth as in 8.0.

Everything else seems to be great but changing stuff that worked so well before has me scratching my head.

Adretheon

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
You can no longer pinch out on a picture and scroll quickly through your camera roll.
Wrong charging sound/chime.
They took out the cursor to edit text and put in the copy text bubbles.
They took out the bounce animation that happens when you swipe to the top or bottom of the start screen/app list.

The charging sound bugged me all day long, but I'll get over it haha. And I get the bounce still on the start screen. Are you using 3 tile view or normal? I'm on 3 and I still see it.

sdreamer

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
1. Loss of social integration. No point in a People Hub anymore.
2. Driving mode still limited to Bluetooth (I'd think most people who would use driving mode wouldn't have a Bluetooth system since they can reply by voice). Add NFC or manual toggle.
3. No album creation for photos.
4. Xbox music is abysmal. Foreign music is broken with wrong album art and artist bio (I can live without Xbox music adding its own crap since I manage the tags myself, but there isn't a way to disable this!).
5. No sorting in the app list like Windows 8.1. Makes finding certain apps kinda difficult, especially now that games have been added to the list.
6. Bing Vision added steps to use. They should have just left it with Cortana.
7. No Skype integration in messaging. Skype should be integrated in the dialer/phone as well as messaging, not a separate app...
8. Becoming more of a launcher than an integrated experience. This wasn't that WP set out to do, but it is almost become more of that now with the loss of the social integration and other fast ways of doing things.

adam220891

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
1. Video scrub was only added to Xbox video, not to the general media player that YouTube or other sites use. Video scrub is nonexistent. Little 30 second skipped that make it lock up doesn't count as scrub.

2. Can't attach office files to emails
3. Can't manage office files in folders. I have many many projects. I can't just leave all these spreadsheets loose in the same folder.
4. Cortana is not as good as I thought she would be. No jokes for me. No chit chat. Just Siri with a different name.
5. Fm radio doesn't work. Just static. Is this a firmware issue?
6. Games in the applist.
7. Barcode scanning in the camera?
8. Generally speaking, I don't like that I am not able to impress any of my iPhone friends. Fix that pleeeeeaaaaase.

Oh, I do like the swipe keyboard. That's as close as I've gotten to impressing anyone.

Regarding cortana...I was only getting searches. No jokes, reminders, etc. were working. Had to do a hard reset like many others to get the feature to work right.

Regarding Music, it's always sucked. I didn't even launch it after upgrading. Playlist support was non-existent anyway. Sync with WMP was a weak solution for me. Ended up buying a 20 dollar sansa which is a shame, as it seems like they have only regressed further with this update.

Zacharyw70

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
Apologies but what are people talking about with the loss of "Integration" with the People Hub? I didn't use it before I updated so I'm not sure what it originally did but I feel like it's fine from what I've used now. I can post to either Facebook or Twitter, check in, see what's new, and then use the Action Center to check notifications.

Also to those who have problems with Xbox Music, use Nokia Music instead. It gives you full access to your collection from Xbox Music but it isn't a buggy piece of crap.

Jupast

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
Not liking...

- The black background in the Photos Hub.
- The continuing backward steps to simplify the Music Live Tile. Seems to have gone backwards every time since WP7.
- The Status Bar always showing. Can we at least have an option to not show it please.
- Games in the App list
- The Tile customization. Sorry but the dual-colour themes of Windows 8 would have been better than this, and more consistent.
- Also, why did it turn my Outlook.com icon for Mail to an Exchange one? I'm going to assume that's a glitch.

Understand it's a Preview, but still, if this is the direction the final version is heading, there are some concerns about backward steps here.

Ed Boland

Retired Ambassador
Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Apologies but what are people talking about with the loss of "Integration" with the People Hub? I didn't use it before I updated so I'm not sure what it originally did but I feel like it's fine from what I've used now. I can post to either Facebook or Twitter, check in, see what's new, and then use the Action Center to check notifications.

Also to those who have problems with Xbox Music, use Nokia Music instead. It gives you full access to your collection from Xbox Music but it isn't a buggy piece of crap.
You mean Nokia Mix Radio?

Kram Sacul

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
The charging sound bugged me all day long, but I'll get over it haha. And I get the bounce still on the start screen. Are you using 3 tile view or normal? I'm on 3 and I still see it.

I've used both 2 and 3 column modes (too small on the 820) and the bounce effect is significantly toned down compared to 8.0. It's slightly better on 3-column mode but on 2 column it's just pathetic. The squeeze effect on the tiles/app list is still there if you move your finger to the top or bottom but if you scroll rapidly and let it reach the end of the start screen/app list it just stops. No cool rubber band bounce like in WP 7/8. Lame.

ishubhamsingh

Jan 19, 2014
Visit site
1. In people hub display pics of my Facebook contacts are not being showed.
2. Xbox music app is very slow,u cant swipe and change next song,u cant see the history and new items.
second one is bearable as der are many music apps available such as nokia music but first one should be improved, all my contacts are showing grey.

Zacharyw70

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
1. In people hub display pics of my Facebook contacts are not being showed.
2. Xbox music app is very slow,u cant swipe and change next song,u cant see the history and new items.
second one is bearable as der are many music apps available such as nokia music but first one should be improved, all my contacts are showing grey.
I just checked my People's Hub and sure enough all my Facebook friends and contacts have their profile pictures being displayed, same for Twitter people. Are you should you have it set to show Facebook Contacts?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlizaForbes