List here what you DO NOT like on 8.1.

dcutting

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
Remove fb from messaging hub

Yes, I very much don't like this. I liked how I could respond quickly in the people hub rather than open the fb app. This was one of the selling points of WP was the lack of the need for an app. I will say that one thing that used to bug me about the old way was when a friend would post a picture, you had to tap the + in order to like it rather than tapping just on the picture. If they would have just fixed that, it would have been fine with me. Not quite sure if I'll ever like it opening the fb app for all fb interactions.

sinime

Retired Moderator
Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
Also, the plus side to the new music app is that it isn't baked deeply into the OS, so it can be updated without an OS update and carrier certification. I believe this is also true for the pictures hub.

Ebuka Allison

Feb 19, 2013
Visit site
Did he say what the updates will be?
He was said 8.1 updates . I'm assuming the new music app shown on the website. Check the Windows phone website in the us under 8.1 features. It shows a redesign similar to the videos app we got. I'm hoping other things are addressed as well.

Ebuka Allison

Feb 19, 2013
Visit site
And for any one complaining about the, ringer and how to silence it. Pull down the V sign and tap the music 🎶 icon. It silences the ringer. You can also turn off vibrate as well.

Jonas_H

Jan 12, 2014
Visit site
Everyone seems to harp on the negatives and none of the positive changes.

Yes, that's true. I think there are way more positive changes in this update than negative ones. I love most of the new features.

I'm also sure that MS will do everything to make the customers happy. If we really want a feature back, I'm sure MS will re-add it to the OS.

RaRa85

Nov 2, 2011
Visit site
I'm reading alot of the comments and there are so many valid points but I do believe this really is just a preview and not the final version that will be released 'in the coming months'. This was just to whet our appetite a little. It's clear they got the big things right and managed to fumble on the small, personal touches that were already available in the first place.

tapehead

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
Yes, that's true. I think there are way more positive changes in this update than negative ones. I love most of the new features.

I'm also sure that MS will do everything to make the customers happy. If we really want a feature back, I'm sure MS will re-add it to the OS.

They don't have a good track record of doing that.

Darkgift

Oct 29, 2011
Visit site
Everyone seems to harp on the negatives and none of the positive changes. The People hub looks better (I'm not crazy that it seems to open the FB app when you click on something, but you don't necessarily have to click on something cause the pictures are now big and visible from the hub). The pictures hub seems better to me. Yeah, I miss the panorama a little, but how much time do people actually spend swiping left/right on the panorama???? First thing I generally hit is camera roll or albums, which takes you to a picture list anyway.

What about the swipe keyboard?

Parallax start background? (use a solid color if you don't like it and get over it)

Cortana? She works for me. Maybe most of the complaints are due to a particular region and will be fixed over time?

Games listed in app list? I'm not crazy about this one either, but it doesn't bother me. When I go to the app list, I'm generally hitting a letter and jumping where I need to be, so extra apps in the list aren't a big deal.

There is room for improvement, but it's certainly not the end of the world.

Oh, and from the wiki, "Who Moved My Cheese? An Amazing Way to Deal with Change in Your Work and in Your Life, published on September 8, 1998, is a motivational book by Spencer Johnson written in the style of a parable or business fable. The text describes change in one's work and life, and four typical reactions to said change by two mice and two "littlepeople", during their hunt for cheese. A New York Times business bestseller upon release, Who Moved My Cheese?"

Its a wash. For all the cool new stuff they added, and they are cool, they took away everything that made them unique and that (most) people loved. We just got a completely different operating system and its not the one we fell in love with. If I wanted to hit links and launch an app, I would've been on Android or iOS already.

lkishor

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
I am also annoyed by seeing games in my app list, also I am not able to turn off Xbox under games, also it says loading every time I open games section

Sent from my RM-914_im_india_269 using Tapatalk

sinime

Retired Moderator
Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
And the tile background? That's hardly a big improvement, having a background o_O

To be fair, it's not just adding a background. The parallax movement adds a nice effect and I've found myself migrating tiles with background colors to the bottom of the screen and using the larger tiles more than the small ones. It's funny, but with the 8.1 implementation, you can actually see the background image better and still access the apps, vs. a system where icons are stacked on an image and hide it.

jlzimmerman

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
Everyone seems to harp on the negatives and none of the positive changes.
How do expect anyone NOT to be upset at MS for making changes to things that are loved by the WP community? Take the OneDrive syncing from photos or FB integration. We love those features. They work, and they work really well. And for MS to remove it at the request of NOBODY makes people mad. It is completely unnecessary. It's understandable for users to be fuming at these types of changes.

lkishor

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
This update is called as a preview but believe me it is not so, Microsoft won't release an update to windows phone without fully testing all the functionalities, it is an update to OS minus vendor updates like nokia cyan

Sent from my RM-914_im_india_269 using Tapatalk

prasath1234

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
Except battery drain the update is very good.hope they solve this issue I mean standby time has decreased to 1 day instead of 2 days.note I have disabled all apps in the background, location Off,Bluetooth Off,NFC Off.

Sent from my C2305 using WPCentral Forums mobile app

tapehead

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
How do expect anyone NOT to be upset at MS for making changes to things that are loved by the WP community? Take the OneDrive syncing from photos or FB integration. We love those features. They work, and they work really well. And for MS to remove it at the request of NOBODY makes people mad. It is completely unnecessary. It's understandable for users to be fuming at these types of changes.

100% in agreement.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kasha963