List here what you DO NOT like on 8.1.

jwinch2

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
You can partly blame Cortana for that.

As well as the fact that after installing 8.1, a bunch of apps had to reinstall, fb had to repopulate your people hub, etc. Those things cost battery life. Mine dropped quite a bit at first, but slowed down after that. Plus, I was just playing around with my phone more than I normally do.

mojo321

Apr 15, 2014
Visit site
Here's an optimistic thought: Is it possible that the livetile issues everyone hates is a result of the new universal app language? If so, then the apps just need to get updates from the developers (hence the name: "developers preview"), and then they will be active livetiles again? Like photos, facebook, etc....

jwinch2

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
It seems like they got rid of all the small and simple features that made windows phone unique and useful, and are trying to slowly morph it into the same old same old we know of other mobile os :-(

To a point, I agree. I suppose we have to start a thread on that website where MS was asking what new features we wanted and request that the integration is brought back in future updates. Obviously, a bunch of people agree, so it is likely to get a good deal of support from others. Perhaps MS will listen to that and bring it back.

Overall, I like the update a great deal, but there are many little things that they changed and shouldn't have, or that are just a bit buggy. That is to be expected at some level I suppose, but it is indeed frustrating at this point.

twint7787

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
So this thread is way too long for me to search for this answer but does anyone think WPC should have reported more on these features that have been either messed up or removed?

Kellzea

Oct 3, 2012
Visit site
Worst thing about 8.1 is how ms did what everyone asked and everyones still mad about it.

It could fart money and gems and people would complain that the rubies are too red.

Adretheon

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
Here's an optimistic thought: Is it possible that the livetile issues everyone hates is a result of the new universal app language? If so, then the apps just need to get updates from the developers (hence the name: "developers preview"), and then they will be active livetiles again? Like photos, facebook, etc....

About 90% of the things people are complaining about here is because apps aren't 8.1 ready yet. Once FB, Onedrive, twitter, etc. all update with 8.1 functionality then these things will be fixed.

​We gotta remember guys 8.1 came out yesterday, not everything is gunna be perfect on day one, week one, or even month one some times.

radmanvr

Nov 19, 2013
Visit site
To a point, I agree. I suppose we have to start a thread on that website where MS was asking what new features we wanted and request that the integration is brought back in future updates. Obviously, a bunch of people agree, so it is likely to get a good deal of support from others. Perhaps MS will listen to that and bring it back.

Overall, I like the update a great deal, but there are many little things that they changed and shouldn't have, or that are just a bit buggy. That is to be expected at some level I suppose, but it is indeed frustrating at this point.

As long as the integration is full featured. Tagging people and such.

The new facebook is still ways behind.

sinime

Retired Moderator
Sep 13, 2011
Visit site

Everyone seems to harp on the negatives and none of the positive changes. The People hub looks better (I'm not crazy that it seems to open the FB app when you click on something, but you don't necessarily have to click on something cause the pictures are now big and visible from the hub). The pictures hub seems better to me. Yeah, I miss the panorama a little, but how much time do people actually spend swiping left/right on the panorama???? First thing I generally hit is camera roll or albums, which takes you to a picture list anyway.

What about the swipe keyboard?

Parallax start background? (use a solid color if you don't like it and get over it)

Cortana? She works for me. Maybe most of the complaints are due to a particular region and will be fixed over time?

Games listed in app list? I'm not crazy about this one either, but it doesn't bother me. When I go to the app list, I'm generally hitting a letter and jumping where I need to be, so extra apps in the list aren't a big deal.

There is room for improvement, but it's certainly not the end of the world.

Oh, and from the wiki, "Who Moved My Cheese? An Amazing Way to Deal with Change in Your Work and in Your Life, published on September 8, 1998, is a motivational book by Spencer Johnson written in the style of a parable or business fable. The text describes change in one's work and life, and four typical reactions to said change by two mice and two "littlepeople", during their hunt for cheese. A New York Times business bestseller upon release, Who Moved My Cheese?"

Zoolok

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
About 90% of the things people are complaining about here is because apps aren't 8.1 ready yet. Once FB, Onedrive, twitter, etc. all update with 8.1 functionality then these things will be fixed.

​We gotta remember guys 8.1 came out yesterday, not everything is gunna be perfect on day one, week one, or even month one some times.

How do you know, is there any official word that these issues will be changed once the apps are updated? Do you have any links? :)

tapehead

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
Worst thing about 8.1 is how ms did what everyone asked and everyones still mad about it.

It could fart money and gems and people would complain that the rubies are too red.

When did I tell Microsoft "Make sure Xbox Music is unusable. Make sure it re-scans my library every 5 seconds and messes with all of the ID3 tags. Then it needs to not read album art correctly, and it's not a party until it takes over 3 minutes for it load my artists list even after the inital scan."

Please.

Tell me when anybody EVER said that.

Darkgift

Oct 29, 2011
Visit site

Facebook was updated so now all the built in functionality launches the app. It sucks.

Zoolok

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
Everyone seems to harp on the negatives and none of the positive changes. The People hub looks better (I'm not crazy that it seems to open the FB app when you click on something, but you don't necessarily have to click on something cause the pictures are now big and visible from the hub). The pictures hub seems better to me. Yeah, I miss the panorama a little, but how much time do people actually spend swiping left/right on the panorama???? First thing I generally hit is camera roll or albums, which takes you to a picture list anyway.

What about the swipe keyboard?

Parallax start background? (use a solid color if you don't like it and get over it)

Cortana? She works for me. Maybe most of the complaints are due to a particular region and will be fixed over time?

Games listed in app list? I'm not crazy about this one either, but it doesn't bother me. When I go to the app list, I'm generally hitting a letter and jumping where I need to be, so extra apps in the list aren't a big deal.

There is room for improvement, but it's certainly not the end of the world.

Oh, and from the wiki, "Who Moved My Cheese? An Amazing Way to Deal with Change in Your Work and in Your Life, published on September 8, 1998, is a motivational book by Spencer Johnson written in the style of a parable or business fable. The text describes change in one's work and life, and four typical reactions to said change by two mice and two "littlepeople", during their hunt for cheese. A New York Times business bestseller upon release, Who Moved My Cheese?"

Eh, I'm not sure you can really blame the users here. But here, for the sake of argument: swipe doesn't work in my native language, and I am not a fan of telling my telephone what to do. Some people may like it, but I feel all these "voice assistants" are nothing more but a gimmick.

And the tile background? That's hardly a big improvement, having a background o_O

I only really have one game, so it showing up in the apps list doesn't bother me that much, but it looks like change for the sake of it, and that is rarely a good thing.

Not the end of the world, but some of us feel it is a step back. And this is a thread for venting, so it's kinda the point to come here and complain :D

Joe Dubya

Oct 16, 2013
Visit site
(Lumia 920, Rogers Canada)
Music app too slow and seemingly random treatment of my music (i.e. albums missing songs, etc.).
Notifications center not showing anything from Facebook and Instagram.
Mail messages slower to open, weird animation
Calendar app displays weather in Fahrenheit (in Canada, set Bing Weather to Celsius)
Cool lockscreen shown at build not yet available

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site

Problem is instead of just building on top of what was there already they removed/reduced included functionality in favour of new features. So again it's a case of have's and have not's and people are still left feeling there is something missing.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kasha963