List here what you DO NOT like on 8.1.

suniltamboli

Dec 18, 2013
Visit site
I haven't really read all the replies,so pardon me if i repeat the same issues again.

1-The music player does not have a live tile.I've been using the music and videos hub for playing my music,I wont say that I dislike the whole music hub but they need to add the live tile feature.

2-While making correction in windows 8.We used to long press on the screen and then drag the cursor to the word we wanted to correct.That has changed too,now we just can drag it horizontally.

3-Action button to turn on mobile data is missing.

4-I don't know if anybody has noticed this,while surfing on the internet explorer,let say for example you want to enter your pin code or any other numerical value.It stil shows up the keyboard instead of showing numberpad which is easier for entering numerical values.The same problem was in the people hub when I used to add new contacts.

Still exploring 8.1 will post if I find anything unusual.

muvig

Apr 23, 2012
Visit site
1, US only for Cortana, why not enabling it for all English language users while you are working on whatever you are doing which would come as updates!

2, The User Interface for FM radio, i must be able to add txt names of stations and all stations shown not the other way round where the tuning line is always shown.

3, The Video icon is terrible.

Feiertag Erik

Apr 15, 2014
Visit site
Hey guys, I hope you'll help me.
I installed WP8.1 on my Lumia 620, and it stopped to update live tiles today morning. Amazing Weather's last update was at about 8 and it's still don't do anything. I left home about that time so I'm on 3G but I used wifi between about 10 and 12.
Hopefully you've understood my relatively bad English :)

drbanks

Dec 17, 2012
Visit site
Lack of FB in the messaging hub: I assume these issues will sort themselves out in the future as more apps/social providers integrate themselves back in to the hub rather than counting on MS hardcoding them in.

Photos hub: Maybe sooner or later, we'll finally see Flickr integration?

Notifications Center: Mostly a win

Did anyone else notice that it can do iCloud accounts now? Boy, I would have loved that back when I transitioned from my iPhone to WP8

Me tile changes: Boy, this is what really frosts me. Yes, I can see why they moved the notifications tab to the notifications center, but they also changed the semantics of the operation. Used to be my Me tile was my go-to tile. It, and the other hubs, were the main reasons why I moved to WP in the first place. They are the reason why using iOS or Android ever since have felt so backwards.

People moan a bunch about apps. The very reason I like WP is that it was all about the workflow rather than the app, and the Me tile showed this wonderfully. I'd go for a week without having to run the Facebook app because I could post from Me, as well as see my Facebook updates (and respond to them) from within the Me tile. Now, I see a notification, but when I click it, it just starts the Facebook app, which I gotta say is too heavy and clunky for what should be such a quick operation.

Why they hid the comma key (I know you can get it back, but even after checking the option, I rarely see it) is completely beyond me.

Overall, I find the upgrade to be a step forward, but I gotta say that some of these issues are a real let-down. I look forward to future app-reintegration with some of these hubs. For now, it's like using iOS again.

Terry a1

Apr 5, 2014
Visit site
Under Settings-applications...I use to be able to see what programs were running under "Background Tasks". That's gone. Any idea how you do that now? Thanks.

Oranges123

Dec 21, 2012
Visit site
All these great things they added into 8.1 was supposed to elevate wp but instead they butchered so much good about wp8 in the process.

xbox music
photos hub - fixing things that weren't broke
games in app list
bing vision taking extra steps
many other things mentioned in this thread

password still for kids corner
still no vibrate AND ring

This is only a "preview" in name and we all know that. Only the music can be fixed quickly since it is an app but it should not have shipped in this state in 8.1 to replace the current music+videos hub. I've known full well what to expect and happy with that but wasn't expecting to lose a lot of good about wp8 in the process.

Whats just as disappointing is WPC never hinted at any of this or even now mention these setbacks. I know they put a more positive spin to things and that is fine and expected but when stuff as obvious as this gets skipped over it doesn't do any good, people will find out anyway.

deadwrong03

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
I also don't like when you share its just the URL now it used to give a image preview of the link you were sharing , articles and YouTube links are now shared as simple links instead of links with previews

Sent from my Nokia Lumia 928 using Tapatalk

b0nz1

Sep 11, 2013
Visit site
Just ask her everytime to show the forecast in celcius. If you forget to do this and she shows you the forecast in Fahrenheit, just say "convert to Celcius", and she converts it.

I have no solution for the Calender app. It seems that it ignores the settings of the Regional format, which I set to my Region as this doesn't disable Cortana. It also shows the time in AM/PM- Format, but I know that this is not so much a problem as the Celcius/Fahrenheit issue.

Jonas_H

Jan 12, 2014
Visit site
Okay, here's a full list of thing s I don't like:

- The new photos app is not as beautiful as the previous one
- Some apps open slower, for example people or the store
- In 3 column-mode, the switching between start screen and app-list seems to be slow
- Why are the games in the app-list now?
- One of the key-features of WP got lost: The hubs!
- New XBOX Music app is awful
-where is the agenda view in the calendar?

sooddvs

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site
The inline video player of internet explorer is pretty bad addition to WP 8.1, at least for me.
Granted that it enhances the YouTube experience a bit, it destroys the video watching experience on almost all the other
Websites.
I hope that Microsoft gives us an option to change the video player.

TheRotfler

Jul 31, 2013
Visit site
Whats just as disappointing is WPC never hinted at any of this or even now mention these setbacks. I know they put a more positive spin to things and that is fine and expected but when stuff as obvious as this gets skipped over it doesn't do any good, people will find out anyway.

I agree but.. what did you expect?

Zoolok

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
I'm shocked to say that, but 8.1 seems to be a bit like Android..

I'd say they're making it exactly like Android. The people hub and the "me" tile were the best parts, followed by the pictures hub (to me, anyway), and now they are all effectively ruined :D I turned Cortana off, as well as the terrible Facebook app (I left it installed, because it has to be there, as you know, but I prevented it from running in the background, so now I don't get Facebook notifications) and the notifications center is meh at best (we had live tiles for that).

I don't mind them adding stuff, but removing stuff is just silly. I'll wait till the end of the year and then see if I stick to this or go back to Apple.

Also, the notifications center doesn't understand when the screen is rotated, so when you are in landscape mode, it slides from the side instead from the top :D Really, ffs :D

The good thing I did find is that the HTML5 version of Grooveshark site now skips to the next song in the queue when the screen is locked, but I really will rarely need that, anyway.

The problem with the update is that they removed a lot of functionality, and there is no justification for that (also, maintaining Facebook integration now has to be done in two places - in the app and in the OS that uses the app). I can't understand how the Facebook application is sooo terrible.

Oh well, rant over. Hopefully they put the things back as they were, otherwise, this is just another app launcher and nothing else, and for that, I might as well use Apple again.

Jonas_H

Jan 12, 2014
Visit site
I'd say they're making it exactly like Android. The people hub and the "me" tile were the best parts, followed by the pictures hub (to me, anyway), and now they are all effectively ruined :D I turned Cortana off, as well as the terrible Facebook app (I left it installed, because it has to be there, as you know, but I prevented it from running in the background, so now I don't get Facebook notifications) and the notifications center is meh at best (we had live tiles for that).

I don't mind them adding stuff, but removing stuff is just silly. I'll wait till the end of the year and then see if I stick to this or go back to Apple.

Also, the notifications center doesn't understand when the screen is rotated, so when you are in landscape mode, it slides from the side instead from the top :D Really, ffs :D

The good thing I did find is that the HTML5 version of Grooveshark site now skips to the next song in the queue when the screen is locked, but I really will rarely need that, anyway.

The problem with the update is that they removed a lot of functionality, and there is no justification for that (also, maintaining Facebook integration now has to be done in two places - in the app and in the OS that uses the app). I can't understand how the Facebook application is sooo terrible.

Oh well, rant over. Hopefully they put the things back as they were, otherwise, this is just another app launcher and nothing else, and for that, I might as well use Apple again.

Exactly. Nothing to add here.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kasha963