List here what you DO NOT like on 8.1.

Zacharyw70

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
The thing is, I need to cool my head a little... almost all of the things I hate about this update are because of Xbox Music and the sucky FB app. The problem is, those are the two things I absolutely use the most (well, I used the hub for FB, but can't now). So I will have to evaluate and see what happens on that front before I make a decision.

I just don't understand how Microsoft could treat Xbox Music this way. It almost singlehandedly destroys the WP8.1 experience. How is it possible that they let this be released this way?
While it's quite upsetting they released Xbox Music like this, bear in mind this is supposed to be the DEVELOPER preview so developers can start porting their applications and making new ones using this as a base to go off of. It's likely that the Xbox Music app update just wasn't ready yet, which is why they were forced to launch it like this. I know a lot of people are disappointed at the Facebook hub removal, but people can't blame Microsoft for that. Given that Twitter still works I assume Facebook was responsible for removing it from the Hub, and while it does suck making Microsoft the criminal isn't the right way to go about it.

tapehead

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
It only searches for music one time... then everytime you open it it checks for any new music or music that's removed. App is still usable, and it only takes 2 seconds. I dont know what you mean by "retagging" in the windows 8 version, but ive never had any of these issues.
Force what to sync against your will? Are you talking about when you plug your phone into your computer? All you have to do is check the box that says manually select folders.
Still confused by what you mean here... Shouldn't all of your music already be "tagged" with the correct artists/album/song name... Does none of your music have this info in it already? Never seen this EVER. I have almost 300GB of music and it all works in the PC version without issue. I have it organized very well tho in the directory.
More of your typical posts... They are always so difficult to read. I really dont understand what you are doing here half the time.

Just because you don't have some of these doesn't mean they aren't severely crippling the devices of other people. Just yesterday Xbox Music retagged a new CD I bought and cut off its title. And I believe Xbox Music is still cataloging my music. It took Listen.. 3 seconds to do the same thing, and I was on my way to playing. Xbox Music has put my artists out of order for no reason (believe me, my mp3s are perfectly tagged), deleted album art, and at times refuses to show ANY artist, album, or song in the respective lists. This is both before and after a hard reset and ejecting the SD card.

Kzchy

Feb 7, 2014
Visit site
It's funny how people are saying there are many things missing... Like 'coma' on the keyboard... Whereas you only need to explore the settings for a minute.

WP_20140415.png

Zacharyw70

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
It seems like the general complaints with Xbox Music, Facebook, Xbox Video, etc are all because those apps haven't been updated to Windows Phone 8.1 yet. Those are all easy fixes but remember this version isn't targeted towards consumers yet so you would have to understand why those apps don't have newer versions out the instant the DEVELOPER preview goes live.

MobileVortex

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
I dont see the big issue with xbox music... all of my music is there, plays fine. I do miss the live tile(ive got to imagine this is a bug...)

MikeSo

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
While it's quite upsetting they released Xbox Music like this, bear in mind this is supposed to be the DEVELOPER preview so developers can start porting their applications and making new ones using this as a base to go off of. It's likely that the Xbox Music app update just wasn't ready yet, which is why they were forced to launch it like this. I know a lot of people are disappointed at the Facebook hub removal, but people can't blame Microsoft for that. Given that Twitter still works I assume Facebook was responsible for removing it from the Hub, and while it does suck making Microsoft the criminal isn't the right way to go about it.

There is no reason to believe the Preview for Developers is not going to be the same as the final release. Update 3 Preview for Developers was exactly the same as the Update 3 RTM. This IS Windows 8.1.

Let's just hope they get updates out quickly for these basic functions, and that a new FB app that is swift and follows the modern UI design language comes out.

LTTG

Dec 17, 2013
Visit site
Remember. This is a preview. Hopefully some the major issues will be dealt with at the final push. Its kind of the reason it goes out to developers first. It is a loophole but its not exactly the final build. I hope.

I'm pretty satisfied.
But I'm sure they said it's the final build :(

tapehead

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
I dont see the big issue with xbox music... all of my music is there, plays fine. I do miss the live tile(ive got to imagine this is a bug...)
BlRs-2MIIAIA2OM.jpg

wp_ss_20140414_0001.jpg

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
And the failure continues. Now you can't uninstall your games from within the Games hub. You have to go to the app list to do it. It's almost like it's an attempt to hint at future removal of the Games hub or something.

I am so mad right now. This is stupid beyond reason. Every 10 minutes, I find something catastrophically bad about WP 8.1. I didn't think it could ever get bad enough to make me consider Android again, considering how much I dislike it. Like, if I knew all of this stuff was here beforehand, I not only wouldn't have signed up for the developer preview, I'd have never gotten 8.1 AT ALL...it's that bad.

Heck, I'm installing Nokia Mix Radio to handle my local music library because Xbox Music is just a piece of garbage now. At least Mix Radio will give me a tile that matches my theme, I guess.

These are the changes I dont get, makes no sense whatsoever and seems to be for no reason at all. From WP7 to WP8 and now WP 8.1 its been 3 totally different operating systems which you have to learn how to use from scratch each time. There was nothing about the games hub that made this change necessary, its just mind boggling why Microsoft decided to change so much of how the OS worked.

Remember. This is a preview. Hopefully some the major issues will be dealt with at the final push. Its kind of the reason it goes out to developers first. It is a loophole but its not exactly the final build. I hope.

I'm pretty satisfied.

If this isnt the final build then they are not leaving any time to actually finish it off before the first device launches next month so no, I dont believe there will be any changes to the way the OS works now. There are definitely things I like but so much has changed for no apparent reason and the whole feel of the OS is different, and in more cases than desired its for the worse.

Zacharyw70

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
There is no reason to believe the Preview for Developers is not going to be the same as the final release. Update 3 Preview for Developers was exactly the same as the Update 3 RTM.
Except in the preview all of the apps don't have their Windows Phone 8.1 updates. So your complaints at Facebook/Xbox Music etc are only possible because in the Developer version they haven't been updated. You can bet by the time Windows Phone 8.1 officially releases the consumer version all of those apps will have been updated.

tapehead

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
Except in the preview all of the apps don't have their Windows Phone 8.1 updates. So your complaints at Facebook/Xbox Music etc are only possible because in the Developer version they haven't been updated. You can bet by the time Windows Phone 8.1 officially releases the consumer version all of those apps will have been updated.

Why would they fix Xbox Music now if they didn't fix it with GDR 2 or GDR 3? The Win 8 version was no prize either.

Ebuka Allison

Feb 19, 2013
Visit site
I'm pretty sure Xbox Video does, The UI matches the new WP 8.1 style. The only problem for me is the music app, and even that has become less of an issue as I play more music soo....

Zacharyw70

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
Why would they fix Xbox Music now if they didn't fix it with GDR 2 or GDR 3? The Win 8 version was no prize either.
Because it's now the forefront app for the OS, I mean even Belifore said on Twitter that an App update is in the works, and that Reddit employee said he was using an updated app. So you acting like nothing is going to happen is pretty ignorant when we've already been told it is.

tapehead

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
http://mediaarea.net/download/binary/mediainfo-gui/0.7.68/MediaInfo_GUI_0.7.68_Windows.exe

If your music is being tagged wrong. Make sure your info is correct with this program... All of mine is correct and i have no issues.

Seriously. If my music is tagged correctly when I pop it into my 520... when I had it on my Android phone... back when I used to use a damn iPod.... why would it be wrong?

I don't think music tags are the reason Xbox Music is now so terrible.

Also, this. Here's a screenshot from AFTER Xbox Music finished scanning my SD card. It's supposed to be looking for things I may or may not have added SINCE.

BlSFNk7IMAAyxwk.jpg

tapehead

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
Because it's now the forefront app for the OS, I mean even Belifore said on Twitter that an App update is in the works, and that Reddit employee said he was using an updated app. So you acting like nothing is going to happen is pretty ignorant when we've already been told it is.

Yeah. "Update" doesn't always mean improvement. I want them to FIX the app. Not change things arbitrarily.

MikeSo

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Let's bet. How much? Let's bet that Xbox Music and Facebook have no significant changes when the first 630/635/930 phones are sold.

Zacharyw70

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
It seems like a lot of the things they changed for good should have been a "Do you want it like this" option. Giving more choice to the user is important and it sounds like a lot of people are missing things that Microsoft took away without asking if they wanted it gone.

A couple things that come to mind would be: #1 We should have the option to keep our games in the Game Hub instead of cluttering our app lists. #2 Someone should have the option of uninstalling from the Game Hub if they prefer it. #3 The option to remove the always showing Wifi/Battery/Celluar icons should be a choice.
It's odd because in one area I look (Multitasking) they gave people the option of either swiping to remove windows, or using the X to get rid of them. It makes me wonder why they didn't continue that freedom of choice for the rest of the OS.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlizaForbes