List here what you DO NOT like on 8.1.

se7en20

Jan 30, 2014
Visit site
I'm still exploring the new update but here's a few I'm not happy with:
- I'm not from the US and I don't like changing my region and language settings to US just to have Cortana.
- I thought the Kid's corner password issue will be fixed in 8.1
- I can't find the blue accent color I often use. I'm not sure if it's cobalt but if it is, it's lighter now and I don't like it
Haven't tried the music hub but everyone seems unhappy with it.

tapehead

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
They were smoking pot while developing this app for WP 8.1

Pretty obvious they put all their priority into Cortana and absolutely no effort into Xbox Music. I just... how is it worse? How did they manage to make a crappy app even worse? I will never understand this. Who greenlit this mess?

Zacharyw70

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
They were smoking pot while developing this app for WP 8.1
Except the app hasn't been updated for WP 8.1 yet. My Guess is the update simply removed the old music hub, and added the originally available Xbox Music app sans any updates.

Last edited:

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
This is something you label as CATASTROPHIC? You are 100% incapable of change. OMG SOMETHING IS DIFFERENT?!??!?!??!? **** EVERYTHING!

Yeah, it's a problem because the Game hub becomes pointless. Why would I even use it if I have to then use different applications to launch (Games hub) and uninstall (app list) games? It's illogical on its face. It's a minor inconvenience for most, but as someone who previously tried to give several indie devs at least a trial run of their games (along with feedback on the Store and on these forums), it's incredibly obnoxious. I shouldn't have to install, launch from Games hub, go to app list, uninstall. Yeah, the alternative is just using the app list, but then I'm in the same, stupid boat as when I was on Android, having an overly-cluttered app list.

In this state, the Games hub serves almost no purpose, unless you NEVER uninstall games.

Jonas_H

Jan 12, 2014
Visit site
I just can't understand it! Why did they remove one of the core-features of Windows Phone? The hubs were one of the things that made Windows Phone so easy. Everything that belongs together is at one, single place. And now everything is messed up!!

Saksham Sharma

Feb 18, 2014
Visit site
Pretty obvious they put all their priority into Cortana and absolutely no effort into Xbox Music. I just... how is it worse? How did they manage to make a crappy app even worse? I will never understand this. Who greenlit this mess?

they better get a major update out for it within a month or they'd be losing a lot of appeal. The good thing is that you're not stuck with this horrible mess for ever, it'll be updated. But whether update would make it better is another point. Music has gone steadily downhill since zune, and I'd rather think they'd mess

Zacharyw70

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
Yeah, it's a problem because the Game hub becomes pointless. Why would I even use it if I have to then use different applications to launch (Games hub) and uninstall (app list) games? It's illogical on its face. It's a minor inconvenience for most, but as someone who previously tried to give several indie devs at least a trial run of their games (along with feedback on the Store and on these forums), it's incredibly obnoxious. I shouldn't have to install, launch from Games hub, go to app list, uninstall. Yeah, the alternative is just using the app list, but then I'm in the same, stupid boat as when I was on Android, having an overly-cluttered app list.

In this state, the Games hub serves almost no purpose, unless you NEVER uninstall games.
I'm not sure what you're complaining about. If I want to launch a game I have two options: #1 Launch it from the apps list, and #2 Go into the Games Hub and launch it from there. You act like the Games Hub is useless now that I can't uninstall apps from it, but it still has Xbox Support/Friends/Messages/Achievement support.

Zacharyw70

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
they better get a major update out for it within a month or they'd be losing a lot of appeal. The good thing is that you're not stuck with this horrible mess for ever, it'll be updated. But whether update would make it better is another point. Music has gone steadily downhill since zune, and I'd rather think they'd mess
Music isn't updated yet, it seems like that's the #1 complaint here, but I don't know why I need to keep repeating the fact that the app isn't updated to WP8.1 yet. You're still using the same crappy app as before, but now it's even more broken because it's being used on a new OS it isn't updated for.

maverickrohan

Feb 17, 2012
Visit site
They've removed the option to disable the vibration of the capacative buttons...and if you had it disabled, you're out of luck. The vibration's back.
That was a Nokia Firmware Feature, not a Microsoft Feature ... So you will have to wait for Lumia Cyan to get it back.

tapehead

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
Music isn't updated yet, it seems like that's the #1 complaint here, but I don't know why I need to keep repeating the fact that the app isn't updated to WP8.1 yet. You're still using the same crappy app as before, but now it's even more broken because it's being used on a new OS it isn't updated for.

And that's really not making a good impression on me. It's like a gigantic middle finger. Why would they remove the Music hub for this update and shove it an app they damn-well know isn't ready for actual use?

MobileVortex

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
Seriously. If my music is tagged correctly when I pop it into my 520... when I had it on my Android phone... back when I used to use a damn iPod.... why would it be wrong?

I don't think music tags are the reason Xbox Music is now so terrible.

Also, this. Here's a screenshot from AFTER Xbox Music finished scanning my SD card. It's supposed to be looking for things I may or may not have added SINCE.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BlSFNk7IMAAyxwk.jpg

Could it possibly be that your SD card has an issue? have you ran a chkdsk on it? It always easy to point the finger when the issue may be on your end...

tapehead

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
Could it possibly be that your SD card has an issue? have you ran a chkdsk on it? It always easy to point the finger when the issue may be on your end...

The SD card seems to work juuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuust fine in the 520. It's been reset a couple times over the past weeks in preparation for cleaning out all those pesky duplicates Xbox Music caused in Win 8. And, for the record, it still works with the 520 without issue.

Zacharyw70

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
And that's really not making a good impression on me. It's like a gigantic middle finger. Why would they remove the Music hub for this update and shove it an app they damn-well know isn't ready for actual use?
Because you as a consumer weren't the target for this update. The developer preview's audience is for developers, people who are going to use this build to help deploy and further development their new applications. Not consumers that are going to whine about everything that isn't updated yet, and assume it's all final.

tapehead

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
Because you as a consumer weren't the target for this update. The developer preview's audience is for developers, people who are going to use this build to help deploy and further development their new applications. Not consumers that are going to whine about everything that isn't updated yet, and assume it's all final.

Trust me. I can whine a lot harder. But it's all good. Microsoft already lost me as a customer going forward. This new direction they're taking Windows Phone in is a complete joke. It's just a deficient version of Android now.

MobileVortex

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site

It's essentially and folder... It would be nice if they added a sort by option to the app list like for games, weather apps, camera, etc. Maybe that's coming but its not CATASTROPHIC. You could make the argument that before it was annoying they didnt show up in the app list. When i uninstall things its usually in bulk and comes from me going down my app list one by one and going ohh i dont need that anymore, and i always forget about the games.

All im saying is that is a blatant overreaction IMO.

Zacharyw70

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
I don't know, don't want to point fingers here but I just decided to try the Music App again and everything is working fine. I went into options and turned off "Show streaming Music in My Collection" and now all of my local music is showing and playing without any issues. Also the app is moving faster, and I'm not getting that "Searching for Music" every X amount of seconds.
For the record it's all also being played off my SD Card in my L520.

MobileVortex

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
The SD card seems to work juuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuust fine in the 520. It's been reset a couple times over the past weeks in preparation for cleaning out all those pesky duplicates Xbox Music caused in Win 8. And, for the record, it still works with the 520 without issue.
Maybe the reader in your phone's firmware needs an update... Remember not everything is created equal.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FraJa