Lumia 1520 Bugs & Defects

sadiq90

Aug 10, 2014
Visit site
re: Lumia 1520 Bugs & Defects

Mine had the screen sensitivity issue since day one when I bought it in february. It occurred before I had it in my pocket, so it occurs at least on mine without had it bend even once. I'm almost 100% sure it's a hardware design failure. The reason I haven't send my phone back is that I was hoping there would be a new revision of the phone with the problem fixed. But after reading this forum and Nokia forum it seems to still occur on new phones, so I will probably soon send it in for repair/exchange to see if I get lucky. I will keep U updated in that case.
I'm agreed with u, it's hardware issue, I tried to change all settings every time, remove screen protector, disable all Apps and formatting twice but still same issue.
this new update is too bad so i will take my phone to Nokia center and will update u too.

Hugo Angulo

Aug 23, 2014
Visit site

Finally, I returned my 1520 to Amazon. All those errors are horrible for a $500 Smartphone.

Nokia, eat it with potatoes.

Amazon, great, great service. The best.

sadiq90

Aug 10, 2014
Visit site

Finally, I returned my 1520 to Amazon. All those errors are horrible for a $500 Smartphone.

Nokia, eat it with potatoes.

Amazon, great, great service. The best.

Wow, that's very good

i hope i can return it and get my money back.

I hated the phone, china mobiles better than this, at least u can answer to phone call, with Nokia some time i cant answer the call.

davidrdh

Apr 25, 2013
Visit site

I have sent mine in for repairs..... wish me luck..... :straight: I'll keep you updated on my Nokia Australia repair experience. This is seriously a make or break customer experience time with all the new stuff being launched at the moment. I'll probably move to an HTC One M8 if the service experience is not good.

davidrdh

Apr 25, 2013
Visit site

So far my phone seems to be progressing reasonably well. After a day it's now in the "repairing: Work in progress" queue. Not sure how they're going to fix it and whether it'll have a repeat of the issues. I will be very careful with how I put it in my pocket. Given it's almost summer here I won't have a jacket pocket to protect it.

Nova815

Sep 13, 2014
Visit site

Had my Lumia 1520 over two weeks ago and updated to cyan from at&t the same day, and so far i have had no issues on this phone, very happy, hope stays that way.

valeriolucciola

Jun 5, 2013
Visit site
I just got a L1520, green, two days ago. Had the swipe-tap issue out of the box but that is livable. Probably a software issue.

Halfway through my first day it started freaking out with the phantom tap issue. Physically bending the phone, ever so gently, actually stopped it freaking out, temporarily (I.e., probably a hardware and handling issue). I had been treating it like my 920 (almost like a feature phone's durability) but this phone is less sturdy. Today I have been handling it more gently and kept it out of my pocket and I've had no phantom tap issues. If changing how I handle it will stop the phantom tap this will likely end up being my favorite phone ever!

Qais Abu-Hasan

Mar 23, 2014
Visit site

I have some blank spaces under some apps , and a big horrible blank space in the middle of FB messenger when I use the keyboard , am I alone ? wp_ss_20140911_0004.jpg

lipper2000

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site

My wife's phone has the white dots (yellow 1520 937 version).
Got it off ebay...will probably keep it as Nokia service in Canada doesn't exist and their support seems to have took a turn for the worse.

Last edited:

dozer167a

Sep 14, 2014
Visit site

I've noticed some minor issues with my week old Nokia Lumia 1520.

I have no knowledge of how the phone operated on windows 8 because on the initial setup of the phone windows 8.1 + cyan setup on the phone with an update.

Issues: When I remove the phone off charge, once it's fully charged, the phone will allow me to access the home page, but thats it. The phone is unresponsive,no tiles will open if I tap on them, and none of the buttons appear to work. Only a soft reset will resolve this issue for me, until the next time it happens. This only happens after I have charged the phone up and removed the charger.

The phone discharges quite fast, as with minimal use the battery will only last for approx 7 hours before needing to be charged again, I'm sure this can't be right!

Double tap to wake will not always wake the phone, and I have to resort to pressing the power button. I have the screen sensitivity set to high, and double tap to wake phone turned on, and I don't have a screen protector on the phone.

I had set " Display my caller ID" to Everyone, but after the phone has been turn off and back on again, the setting displays "Select" and not Everyone as I had previously selected, though on a test call my Caller ID is sent as it displays correctly when dialling my house phone.

I haven't had the phone registered for DP, so I can take that out of the equation for receiving these minor glitches.

Any advise on these annoying issues would be appreciated.

davidrdh

Apr 25, 2013
Visit site

My phone has been returned from repairs after about 7 business days (which isn't too bad I suppose). Seems to be working fine so far. Items fixed for the screen issue are: "Care Display Assembly", 4DX Side key flex electronic assembly, 4DT vibra flex assembly, Heat spreading assembly, and a new BV-4BW battery...

Hopefully this solves the issues.... Otherwise...

phasar

Banned
Sep 25, 2012
Visit site

People wonder why the public doesn't trust WP, this screen issue is all anyone needs to know. The 1520 with its defective screen has no business being mentioned in the same sentence with premium high end devices.

omegafiler

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site

I had originally pre-ordered the Nokia 1520 locally when it came out, directly from the Microsoft Store. Then returned it a couple days later. I was quite disappointed. Software wasn't ready, missing important features, annoying swipe/tap bug, etc. Heck, I was even one of the first to post in this exact thread complaining about it!

Fast forward to this week when I bought a used/mint condition Nokia 1520 (AT&T variant), and I have to say, I'm actually rather happy with it. I just let it install 3-4 updates (on 8.1/Cyan), performed a factory reset, installed a bunch of apps, got it all setup, and have been using it all day. I haven't even been able to get the swipe/tap issue to occur, or really any of the other bugs that were there before.

Been pushing it too. Playing games, videos, surfing around, intentionally scrolling all over the place, etc. So far, so good. Really liking the 8.1 improvements on this big screen. When I saw the improvements on my work-issued Nokia 925, I had to try the 1520 again. Windows Phone 8.1 should have been what this phone was released with. Which is the same thing I said with Windows 8.1 for PC. But I guess that's Microsoft for ya!

Now if they'd just make some better cases...

gavin dal broi

Jul 5, 2014
Visit site

Bluetooth volume way to low. To the point of having everything maxed out and still a whisper. Tried it on a bury kit and my vehicles in built car kit. It is only for voice not music as podcasts and music is perfect. Bring on an update please.

kevm14

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site

Hasn't it already been determined that the issue is related to "bending" the phone by storing it in a pocket? Was a main story in the news section on this site.

It may also be ESD-related, not just bending. And the flex issue isn't caused solely by keeping it in your pocket. I think the flexing causes some grounding contacts to not work properly, which causes all the phantom touches. What's alarming is it started off as a fairly minor tap-instead-of-scroll issue, and blossomed into this. I don't have a 1520, but was considering it. But I probably won't roll the dice with this issue (really, all the issues).

Tremaine Challenger

Sep 29, 2014
Visit site

I got a Lumia 1520 about 3 weeks ago and the phone has been great, mostly. I switched from a Samsung Galaxy Note 2 because I was always a fan of Nokia and found windows phone to be interesting after they introduced windows phone 8.1.Anyway after I upgraded my 1520 to wp 8.1, I noticed some problems. 1st some apps crash or take a long time to resume. Apps like the music player and skype. Sometimes when this happens the screen and capacitive keys are unresponsive. This happened twice. I had to use the volume down and up keys and power button combination to turn it off. Sometimes the phone randomly heats up for no reason. Even after turning off several apps in the background. Eventually it cools down but this is just unsettling. Honestly I love this phone and I got it because of the amazing specifications and features. The build quality is impeccable and windows phone is actually very good. I am glad I switched. However, I think the OS has some bugs and these bugs are causing the 1520 (and other Lumia devices) to act strange. A 3 week phone should act like a 3 week phone. I know nothings perfect and i hate to say this but i never had these problems with my Galaxy Note 2 and i had it for a year and a half. The only problem i had with that phone was lag. They need to release an update fast. I hope wp 8.1 update 1, fixes all these problems with the 1520. Also, the speaker (ear piece not lot speaker) stop working once. I could only hear people on the loudspeaker or through my earphones. Luckily this happened once and a quick restart solved the issue. I love this phone and I am glad I retuned to Nokia. WP is also amazing. Please fix these issues asap.

SUCKITUPBUTTERCUP

Aug 22, 2013
Visit site

How can i fix the tap problem? Its annoying...

I know your frustration: I had a 1020 for over 2 years and a 920 for a year and half before that. Both are still going strong (handed down to wife and mother). Upgraded to 1520 exchanged first phone at store, and waiting on AT&T to send me a third phone due to touch sensitivity and camera showing black screen or won't open. The touch seems to be a hardware. When I try to unlock my phone, I'll tap one number and it will enter it several times as I have hit 5 to 8 times in a row in a matter of split seconds. Really frustrating because it will tell to wait 4 minutes to try again to unlock my phone. Or, on my work portal when scrolling 👈 to right 👉 after putting in information into text box. It would either misread my taps by ? inch or overlap webpage as half the page would scroll while other half was was stuck in place. Hoping third phone is glitch free. I stick with Windows Phones because of the UI and the static and lack luster innovations Android and Apple OS's seem to regurgitate year after year. Pin Icon here, change back ground , scroll to new screen . Even if they don't get this fixed, the potential, greatly outweighs the shortcomings....they will get it right....🔜

Last edited: