Lumia 640 XL Bugs + Defects

RobbieCRO

Sep 10, 2014
Visit site
After 2 weeks i received mine 640 XL back from service;in my case they replaced whole case (whatever does that mean) and now i have RM-1067 (i had RM-1096 before).Now it seems ok,no display issues,no yellow strain etc.Also,i spoke with MSFT representative about 640 Xl's display issue,he told me they know about that but they will 1.replace whole case like did on mine and 2. replace a phone and that is it...

CaptainLumia

Aug 12, 2014
Visit site
After 2 weeks i received mine 640 XL back from service;in my case they replaced whole case (whatever does that mean) and now i have RM-1067 (i had RM-1096 before).Now it seems ok,no display issues,no yellow strain etc.Also,i spoke with MSFT representative about 640 Xl's display issue,he told me they know about that but they will 1.replace whole case like did on mine and 2. replace a phone and that is it...

Just out of curiosity, do you live in the United States? They refused to fix my RM-1096 because it is only intended for sale in Asia and since I live in the US, the warranty isn't valid. I'd like to know if they are treating some customers different than others.

RobbieCRO

Sep 10, 2014
Visit site
Just out of curiosity, do you live in the United States? They refused to fix my RM-1096 because it is only intended for sale in Asia and since I live in the US, the warranty isn't valid. I'd like to know if they are treating some customers different than others.

Nope,i live in Europe,Croatia.Sorry to hear that,i guess each region have different treatment for customers but there should be solution for your case definitely-don't give up.

Win10all

Oct 12, 2015
Visit site
i have 640xl dual sim lte rm-1096. i just found that the sim2's data connection does not work. i have set the data connection 2nd sim, and from the setup page, it should work. does anyone experience similar problem?

CaptainLumia

Aug 12, 2014
Visit site
i have 640xl dual sim lte rm-1096. i just found that the sim2's data connection does not work. i have set the data connection 2nd sim, and from the setup page, it should work. does anyone experience similar problem?

First off, keep in mind that you can't have two SIM data connections at once. Only one is going to provide data at one time. I also found that in order to get one or the other to work, I had to first disable the APN on the one I do not want to use and restart the phone. So let's say you want to use SIM 2 for data: go to cellular=SIM > SIM 1 settings > Manual Internet APN and change it to off. Then follow the same steps for SIM 2, and change it to 'on'. Just changing SIM 2 to 'on' will not enable data. I also find that SOMETIMES I need to restart the phone as well.

altfquatro

Oct 22, 2015
Visit site
I bought my Lumia 640 XL one week ago and it arrived yesterday. I noticed that there were a green vertical line passing through the middle of the screen in some commands like, for example, putting the password in the lock screen and expanding the volume options. And when I take a screenshot, the line doesn't appear in the picture, so I supose it's a screen problem. The phone didn't fall or sth like that.

So.. What should I do? The phone runs perfectly, it doesn't bring any software problems, I use it normally. But I can't ignore the fact that there's a line in the screen. It also can bring me problems in the future to sell it.

I was so happy it arrived much faster than I expected, and now this happened.

There are some pictures I took from another phone of this problem:
photo_2015-10-22_12-05-54.jpg
photo_2015-10-22_12-06-01.jpg
photo_2015-10-22_12-12-28.jpg

Last edited:

Derausgewanderte

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
I can't ignore the fact that there's a line in the screen.
definitely try to get it replaced. No way I would keep the phone with a green line on the screen. Some sellers have a return policy that can span 30days. If you can't get anywhere with the seller I'd try to contact MS next. I'd even drive the 1hr trip to the closest MS store to get this resolved.

good luck

penumbrae

Oct 10, 2013
Visit site
my lumia sometimes just turns off screen randomly for around 4 sec and then it turns on...It doesnt happen a lot but it happens..does anyone know what that could be ?

Hello.

your device was fixed?? my new lumia 640 xL has this bug.

any tips for fix is so apreciate!

thx bro

Nanda Kishore2

Oct 27, 2015
Visit site
there will be a file which needs to be install with system, it fixes abnormal restarts for lumia 640xl, try that ,

google it, i had fixed my friends phone like that only..

anon(9707071)

Nov 1, 2015
Visit site
ok people can anyone confirm the FOLLOWING, i wanna get a 640 xl but....

1- GPS does NOT work if i am not connected to internet (wifi/3g) ?!! users here have reported this...what is the point of HERE if not offline usage???
2- can the phone be charged when off ? every single lumia user says it is impossible as microsoft made it mandatory for the phone to be on!!!!
on my android i always shut off the phone to charge...as it charges twice as FAST!!!
3- is there any way to turn on and off (completely...not quiet hours!!!) the phone at specified hours ? this is the case for many android phone like huawei, alcatel, gionee etc...they shut down alone and boot alone and then alarm rings :)

thanx !

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
ok people can anyone confirm the FOLLOWING, i wanna get a 640 xl but....

1- GPS does NOT work if i am not connected to internet (wifi/3g) ?!! users here have reported this...what is the point of HERE if not offline usage???
2- can the phone be charged when off ? every single lumia user says it is impossible as microsoft made it mandatory for the phone to be on!!!!
on my android i always shut off the phone to charge...as it charges twice as FAST!!!
3- is there any way to turn on and off (completely...not quiet hours!!!) the phone at specified hours ? this is the case for many android phone like huawei, alcatel, gionee etc...they shut down alone and boot alone and then alarm rings :)

thanx !
2 and 3, no.
1, it can work just fine. Users have tested it.

Win10all

Oct 12, 2015
Visit site
when i use other charger ( say a 1A or 2A charger, but not microsoft), the phone will display 'slow charging....'. however, when i use the microsoft's 750ma small charger, the phone does not give 'slow charging....' message. is this normal? any way, it takes about similar amount of time to fully charge the phone. i was wondering if the Microsoft charge has something build in?

Win10all

Oct 12, 2015
Visit site
which file do you refer to? how do i know if my 640xl has that file installed? my phone also experienced 're-start' itself problems some times.

anon(9707071)

Nov 1, 2015
Visit site
1- can any one tell me where the lumia XL is manufactured ? india ? china ?

2- i have a skype account since 2003...on my pc..but on WP 8.1 WE need a microsoft account to use SKYPE....how can i keep all my contacts? it it possible ? or must i re-open a new skype account and add all my friends ?!

3- i had a lumia 520 and it seemed impossible for me to disable vibrations when surfing in the menu, when i press "windows logo" or "back"...very annoying!! it vibrator compltely disabable on the 640/640xl ?!!!

4- Also one thing that worries me a lot after reading many forums including here..is that W 8.1 is not adapted to phones that are 5" and above...and numerous reviews stated the experience on 640xl is not GOOD as everything seems ZOOMED in....
Can anyone confirm this ? and does Wp 10 FIX this issue once and for all, as MS stated it would be the case and that phablets can even be used with one hand?
True? if so what exactly did they fix in order to make it usefull and use it also with one hand? from what i have see only the writing seems to have gotten smaller....

5- in windows phone...is it possible to add ringtones as easily as android? (just put a usb cable on pc enter the file and copy paste any song)

thanx in advance guys :winktongue:

Last edited:

CaptainLumia

Aug 12, 2014
Visit site
1- can any one tell me where the lumia XL is manufactured ? india ? china ?

2- i have a skype account since 2003...on my pc..but on WP 8.1 WE need a microsoft account to use SKYPE....how can i keep all my contacts? it it possible ? or must i re-open a new skype account and add all my friends ?!

3- i had a lumia 520 and it seemed impossible for me to disable vibrations when surfing in the menu, when i press "windows logo" or "back"...very annoying!! it vibrator compltely disabable on the 640/640xl ?!!!

4- Also one thing that worries me a lot after reading many forums including here..is that W 8.1 is not adapted to phones that are 5" and above...and numerous reviews stated the experience on 640xl is not GOOD as everything seems ZOOMED in....
Can anyone confirm this ? and does Wp 10 FIX this issue once and for all, as MS stated it would be the case and that phablets can even be used with one hand?
True? if so what exactly did they fix in order to make it usefull and use it also with one hand? from what i have see only the writing seems to have gotten smaller....

5- in windows phone...is it possible to add ringtones as easily as android? (just put a usb cable on pc enter the file and copy paste any song)

thanx in advance guys :winktongue:

1. My RM-1096 was made in Vietnam.
2. I don't Skype, sorry, maybe someone else can address this
3. Yes, you can disable on the 640 XL with the latest push ready OS update. Go to Settings > extras > touch
4. I never had any display stretch or zoom issues with 8.1 and I've owned the 520 and 920 as well for comparison
5. Yes, very easy. It needs to be a compatible format and not DRM protected, so basically 99% of your MP3's

Derausgewanderte

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
1 - I also got the 1096 which was manufactured in Vietnam
2 - you can combine your old Skype account with an MS account and you will not loose your contacts
https://support.skype.com/en/faq/FA12060/how-do-i-link-my-skype-and-microsoft-accounts
4 - yes, on my wife's 640XL it seems large. My wife actually prefers this. I was able to interop unlock mine and change registry settings to scale the UI to get more screen estate while I was on WP8.1. This is not necessary anymore after going to W10M. It already has scaling (both text and UI) built in. You can set it to act like a phablet in system/display. The one hand feature is enabled by holding the Win home button. It will move the UI half way down and allows you to reach items with your thumb that were too high up. Leaving that inactive for a little bit will return it to normal.

CaptainLumia covered the rest.

here is an example of one-handed use, before and after pressing the home button for 3s

wp_ss_20151106_0003 (450x800).jpgwp_ss_20151106_0002 (450x800).jpg

Last edited:

anon(9707071)

Nov 1, 2015
Visit site
need help here :)

1- is it me or the default BING weather not display (all the time) the "daily" section for the week, if phone is OFFLINE ?! i did update the weather online, BUT if i cut wifi/3G...at first it worked and i still could see the upcoming week. after a few minutes i dive back in the app and could not SEE the upcoming week. BUG with me or its "normal" ??

2- when i receive a call i have to "push up" and then "ACCEPT" of "DECLINE"...is there any way to ACCEPT a call like in android ? simply sliding/swifting/ just ONCE ???

3- is there an Sms app for windows phone at ALL ?? i don't like the default one...i want something like textra

4- does glance WORK in combination with the sensor ??? everytime i am near the phone...the glance screen reactivates !!!! the sensor sees me...yet in setting i set glance to shut off after 15 seconds ?!!!

Please advise if these are "problems or not" ! thanx

Last edited:

anon(9707071)

Nov 1, 2015
Visit site
Derausgewanderte for the effort ! it is clear now....still have a "problem here": in all android phones i used...

when i begin typing the number of someone...the phone offers me persons that start matching those phone numbers..: for example, 0645....i quickly see my "mom" and "wife" as they begin like that...

IS that even possible on WP 8.1 or 10 ?!!!! if not can any app enable that ?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jwadani