Lumia 640 XL Bugs + Defects

Hebraist

Aug 4, 2014
Visit site
Well , have you accidently dropped it before ?
This actually might be a faulty Device ..
Maybe you can share your RM-xxxx And also where you have bought it from .. (maybe we could get to know something.. Maybe its something with all devices having that same RM-xxxx)
There might be a faulty units , store trying to get rid of it

No, I never dropped it or anything. I have taken PERFECT care of it. I got it in the Czech Republic in June. It's made in Vietnam. RM-1067 What does the RM-1067 mean????

Hebraist

Aug 4, 2014
Visit site
I can try to shoot it later. Original color was black. I've since bought the white and blue battery covers as well. I also contacted MS. Because the RM-1096 model isn't intended for sale in the US: warranty is void. I reached out to a recommended repair center to see what their warranty is on the repairs. I was quoted $115 to replace the screen. If they can offer a decent warranty (1 year or longer) I may be inclined to bite. But I'm definitely unhappy at the moment. I'm hoping the 940/950 comes out before I'm totally frustrated. Looking into the 1020 at this time though.

I'm totally frustrated too. Mine is being serviced right now. it's been 26 days! They say that if they don't get it back from the service that they will give me a new one, but i'm sure it will just happen again.

Hebraist

Aug 4, 2014
Visit site
The CRAZY thing is that I have the same exact yellow spots on my Microsoft Surface Pro! They appeared right after I bought it a couple years ago. Could it be connected with what's happening with the phones? Here is a picture of my surface pro yellow spots. Unbelievable.

View attachment 109638

Hebraist

Aug 4, 2014
Visit site
So I just got my 640 XL back from the service place. They replaced the screen. It took them 27 days. I have been restoring it for the past several hours and no yellow spot! But, I am pessimistic. I'll bet the yellow spot will come back in a few weeks. If anybody figures out what caused this problem I would be very happy to know it.

Hebraist

Aug 4, 2014
Visit site
Ok guys, I have a new one for you. As I posted earlier I just received my 640 XL from the service with a new display. Before I sent it in and also now, I am having an interesting problem. When my phone is on my table, screen off, it's totally cool, but when it's in my pocket and I am walking or driving then it heats up! I have no apps running and the screen is off. I assume it is because of motion tracking or data. The phone isn't super hot but it is noticeably warm. I can feel it in my pocket. I think this may be connected to these phones getting that yellow spot. This makes me think that it's just a matter of time before that yellow spot appears again. Any ideas? Is there anyway to totally disable the motion data? Thanks guys.

Timbre70

Jul 10, 2014
Visit site
Switch off your double tap to wake option. My 535 has the same issue with it. It keeps triggering when screen rubs against clothings.

Hebraist

Aug 4, 2014
Visit site
Switch off your double tap to wake option. My 535 has the same issue with it. It keeps triggering when screen rubs against clothings.

It really worked! Thanks!!! I switched off double tap to wake and it doesn't heat up in the pocket anymore. It's a pity. I liked that feature. Thanks again!

theloosersclub

Aug 2, 2015
Visit site
Hi,

I just encountered the problematic issue with double pictures in Camera roll?! I though this was fixed, but unfortunately, no.
Any ideas on how to fix this? All data is saved to SD card, have all the latest updates. Phone is one month old.

Thx.

CaptainLumia

Aug 12, 2014
Visit site
Good news folks. I entered my IMEI into the MS warranty check website and was told that because it's an international version, my phone would not be covered in the US. When I called MS I got a totally different response. They will repair it, as long as I can provide proof of purchase, which I can. All hope is NOT lost.

Jakoh

Apr 9, 2012
Visit site
It really worked! Thanks!!! I switched off double tap to wake and it doesn't heat up in the pocket anymore. It's a pity. I liked that feature. Thanks again!

INTERESTING. I wondered that sometimes myself. Especially since i point the screen towards the body.

Jakoh

Apr 9, 2012
Visit site
I use NFC with bluetooth on a daily basis in my car. When i first got the phone, I couldnt get NFC to work, but then it started working. I wrote it off as me not knowing the antenna position.
Now a month in, its not working again. I even did a soft reset.
I use it in my car, my headphones, its an important part of my usability.

Hari Wishnawa

Aug 6, 2015
Visit site
My l640 XL stuck and freeze when playing music and app. And then I shut down but it stuck saying "goodbye" . Is anyone has the same problem like me? PLEASE HELP ME!

AmGaD-SaLaH

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site
My l640 XL stuck and freeze when playing music and app. And then I shut down but it stuck saying "goodbye" . Is anyone has the same problem like me? PLEASE HELP ME!

Hi . Do you have lots of apps installed ?
Lots of music maybe ?
What about free space on your phone ?
Have u tried soft reset ?

bsab69

Jul 21, 2015
Visit site
My screen started looking like yours (Hebraist) about two weeks after purchase. I'm now hoping I can do a warranty return with Expansys.

Hebraist

Aug 4, 2014
Visit site
My screen started looking like yours (Hebraist) about two weeks after purchase. I'm now hoping I can do a warranty return with Expansys.

Yeah for sure the warranty will cover it. What a pain! Just send it in and they will replace the screen. I've had mine back now for a couple weeks and its working perfectly.

CaptainLumia

Aug 12, 2014
Visit site
Yeah for sure the warranty will cover it. What a pain! Just send it in and they will replace the screen. I've had mine back now for a couple weeks and its working perfectly.

I just sent mine in to Nokia Care. We'll see what happens. In the meantime I bought a 920 to tide me over. Once I get it back, I'll need to decide if I want to keep it, or resell it before it happens again.

Hebraist

Aug 4, 2014
Visit site
I just sent mine in to Nokia Care. We'll see what happens. In the meantime I bought a 920 to tide me over. Once I get it back, I'll need to decide if I want to keep it, or resell it before it happens again.

Mine came back totally reset. I hope you used the backup feature. I'm surprised you would keep a 920 over a 640xl. The XL is amazing. But it will never have "hey Cortana". The 1520 has that feature plus a better screen and camera and its only 175$!

CaptainLumia

Aug 12, 2014
Visit site
Mine came back totally reset. I hope you used the backup feature. I'm surprised you would keep a 920 over a 640xl. The XL is amazing. But it will never have "hey Cortana". The 1520 has that feature plus a better screen and camera and its only 175$!

There are a few reasons why I probably won't keep the 640 XL. 1) if the screen died once and seems to be a 'common' problem, I fear it will happen again. 2) switching between SIM cards doesn't work as well as I hoped 3) with the 950 XL right around the corner, I'd rather cut my losses by reselling the 640 XL and buying the 950 XL in Nov when it's released. 4) Where are you seeing the 1520 for $175? I can tolerate a refurb, but not a used phone. 5) Windows 10 is still not 'official' on it, which I was hoping for by this time.

And I'll be clear, other than those minor shortcomings on the 640 XL, I LOVED it. I wanted it to fit the bill and I was happy with it, it just doesn't fit my needs at the moment. I am curious to hear how other's phones are doing after the repair. Mine took about 2.5 months to show those spots. How long has yours been back from the shop?

Hebraist

Aug 4, 2014
Visit site
There are a few reasons why I probably won't keep the 640 XL. 1) if the screen died once and seems to be a 'common' problem, I fear it will happen again. 2) switching between SIM cards doesn't work as well as I hoped 3) with the 950 XL right around the corner, I'd rather cut my losses by reselling the 640 XL and buying the 950 XL in Nov when it's released. 4) Where are you seeing the 1520 for $175? I can tolerate a refurb, but not a used phone. 5) Windows 10 is still not 'official' on it, which I was hoping for by this time.

And I'll be clear, other than those minor shortcomings on the 640 XL, I LOVED it. I wanted it to fit the bill and I was happy with it, it just doesn't fit my needs at the moment. I am curious to hear how other's phones are doing after the repair. Mine took about 2.5 months to show those spots. How long has yours been back from the shop?

The 950xl is definitely going to be awesome, but its a flagship right? Its going to cost an arm and a leg! The 640xl is good for the money, but yes, if the screen problem happens over and over then its not with a dime. I've had mine back from the shop for 3 weeks. I've been using it heavily. So far no sign of the yellow spot. If it does happen again then I'm done with this phone. I saw the 1520 for 175$ on windowscentral a week ago.

CaptainLumia

Aug 12, 2014
Visit site
Wish I had seen the 1520 at that price, I would have picked it up instead of the 920, oh well. For me the one time cost of a Windows phone is always less than it's "competition". It's the monthly carrier plans and now the monthly equipment plans, that really kill me.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TheStivo