Lumia 720 Battery Life - Is this normal?

Aseem186

May 23, 2013
Visit site
I have 3g, whatsapp, skype and gps on 24/7, also 3 emails syncing every 30min.

How is this possible! Nobody has it, I mean even after full charging with my original charger battery apps says 1 day 3 hours remaining and consumes 3% per hour when my internet is off and when I used whatsapp for an hour or two the battery usage rises to 6% in 19 mins!
How many apps and games have you installed in your phone?

OzRob

Mar 20, 2013
Visit site
However, this is all true only if I charge it with the original charger. I made a thread about this bug http://forums.windowscentral.com/no...n`t-charge-properly-non-original-charger.html

This is not a general problem with the Lumia 720. I regularly charge my phone with different chargers (the original charger at home, an ASUS or Samsung charger at work, and via USB at home and at work and sometimes in the car). Charging can take longer with some of these devices (particularly direct from USB), but once fully charged my 720 lasts about the same amount of time, regardless of which charger was used. For the record I usually get two full days between charges with what I'd say is moderate use.

BTW, don't rely on the displayed estimates of remaining battery life. This is only a projected figure and can be quite a way out.

OzRob

Mar 20, 2013
Visit site
How is this possible! Nobody has it, I mean even after full charging with my original charger battery apps says 1 day 3 hours remaining and consumes 3% per hour when my internet is off and when I used whatsapp for an hour or two the battery usage rises to 6% in 19 mins!
How many apps and games have you installed in your phone?

I regularly get two full days from a charge, so it is possible. Perhaps you are in a marginal 3G signal area. 3G signal strength can have a huge impact on battery life. If the signal strength is low, the 3G radio is constantly increasing its power output to keep the connection live. The only solution is to go somewhere with better signal strength, or limit the phone to 2G only when in the poor signal area.

Aseem186

May 23, 2013
Visit site
I regularly get two full days from a charge, so it is possible. Perhaps you are in a marginal 3G signal area. 3G signal strength can have a huge impact on battery life. If the signal strength is low, the 3G radio is constantly increasing its power output to keep the connection live. The only solution is to go somewhere with better signal strength, or limit the phone to 2G only when in the poor signal area.

If I do not use my cell phone its discharging rate is less than 1% per hour. although it says 1 day 3 hours left it can still last for more than a day but when I play games like sudoku discharging rate increases to 10% per hour with all sounds off. And I always use 2G but still it drains my battery and limits its usage to a single day.

montsa007

Ambassador
Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
Is your nfc off?
How about brightness levels? (I've mine at low and its absolutely fine)
Do you have any resource hogging apps installed that silently run in the background?
Did you do a soft reset?

Aurdi

Apr 23, 2013
Visit site
My Longest battery life time was 4 days 12h. I`ve got only 2G (no data transfer), no nfc/bt, brightness auto, disabled super sensitive, background app are Battery and Here Drive. Wifi used 30min/day. For charging used only original charger. When i use some app (yanosik - gps and data transfer) usually battery works 2,5 day.

BTW: Battery app isn`t working good. Sometimes show that battery have 100% in 7-8 hours without charger, but show good longest life time and charges counter.

jitinrao

May 27, 2013
Visit site
If I do not use my cell phone its discharging rate is less than 1% per hour. although it says 1 day 3 hours left it can still last for more than a day but when I play games like sudoku discharging rate increases to 10% per hour with all sounds off. And I always use 2G but still it drains my battery and limits its usage to a single day.

I have this same problem of battery discharging in less than 12 hours. I use only 2G data connection. WI-fi,bluetooth,location are almost always OFF. The signal strength in my Office is full. Apps installed are Office mail which downloads mail immediately on arrival,personal gmail a/c synced every 30 mins, whats app, FB, linkedin, skype,we chat and hike. Background apps are battery, fb and linkedin. Configured FB chat as well. I have to charge every day. My normal talk times are never more than 30 mins. I keep it to charge overnight, with data connection disabled. Battery at times drains more than 10% per hour.I have noticed rapid discharge happening when I get a lot of messages on Whats App group, did anyone else experience the same?

Aurdi

Apr 23, 2013
Visit site
jitinrao - just try without whats app and FB. In few forums people have problem with battery life time and a lot of them have whats app and FB application. I think that is some relation between this apps and battery life time.

Aseem186

May 23, 2013
Visit site
This is my normal usage when internet is off. These statistics are for over the night.
wp_ss_20130527_0001.pngwp_ss_20130527_0002.png

And when I turned on the internet in the noon this is what happened!
wp_ss_20130527_0003.pngwp_ss_20130527_0004.png

I have my nfc off bluetooth off and I also did soft reset plenty of times. I have even tried to full discharge it and then charging it. BTW I have whatsapp, FB, Twitter, Battery, skype installed in my handset. I don't use twitter and skype and my discharging rate gone up to almost 20 % per hour.

OzRob

Mar 20, 2013
Visit site
For anyone using WhatsApp, I would uninstall this and see if your batter life improves. I've seen many posts on several forums about battery life tanking when WhatsApp is installed. If your battery life doesn't improve, you can always reinstall it.

OzRob

Mar 20, 2013
Visit site
I have this same problem of battery discharging in less than 12 hours. I use only 2G data connection. WI-fi,bluetooth,location are almost always OFF. The signal strength in my Office is full. Apps installed are Office mail which downloads mail immediately on arrival,personal gmail a/c synced every 30 mins, whats app, FB, linkedin, skype,we chat and hike. Background apps are battery, fb and linkedin. Configured FB chat as well. I have to charge every day. My normal talk times are never more than 30 mins. I keep it to charge overnight, with data connection disabled. Battery at times drains more than 10% per hour.I have noticed rapid discharge happening when I get a lot of messages on Whats App group, did anyone else experience the same?

I have WiFi, Bluetooth, GPS and 3G on. I have NFC off. I listen to music (stored on my SD card, not streaming) for about 2 hours per day on my commute to and from work. I usually take/make about 5 or 6 calls per day, so probably about 10-15 minutes of talk time. I have both Outlook and Gmail set to poll every 30mins, and I normally spend about 10 mins per day looking at emails. I send 10-15 text messages per day and receive about the same. I use the browser for maybe a couple of minutes each day, usually to quickly Google something. I DON'T have WhatsApp installed. I do have Facebook installed, but I've turned off all the automatic sync options. I occasionally check FB during the day. I don't have FB Chat enabled. I never play any games.

I get about 3 days between charges, though I usually charge it every second day.

Rindika Fanai

Mar 28, 2013
Visit site
Recently my 720 battery drains a lot than before... after 100% charging estimated time remaining is only 23 hrs ?? is there something wrong with the battery or should i just do a hard reset (already did a soft reset a couple of times) !!

OzRob

Mar 20, 2013
Visit site
Recently my 720 battery drains a lot than before... after 100% charging estimated time remaining is only 23 hrs ?? is there something wrong with the battery or should i just do a hard reset (already did a soft reset a couple of times) !!

But does it actually run out of charge after 23 hrs? The estimated time is just that...estimated! Try running the phone until it shuts down and see how long it really does last.

If it is draining faster than it used to, perhaps it's an app you've recently installed. Have you checked what's allowed to run in the background?

OzRob

Mar 20, 2013
Visit site
I have whatsApp installed, Hike(like whatsApp) and Youtube allowed in background task .. oh and battery+

There have been many reports of WhatsApp causing battery drain issues. Search the forums for more info. Perhaps uninstall WhatsApp and see if your battery life returns to normal.

jitinrao

May 27, 2013
Visit site
Rob,
Whats the point in having a smart phone and not being able to run apps. I have the same issue like most with Whats App. Battery lasting a day after full charge.I believe there is need to form a group of Whats App users and tell them about the issue with their App.
Jitin

OzRob

Mar 20, 2013
Visit site
Whats the point in having a smart phone and not being able to run apps.

There is no point. But apps are only as good as the people who code them. It appears that WhatsApp is causing issues with WP8 at the moment. I only advocate removing it to determine that it is indeed the cause of the high battery drain. If it is, you can either do without it until the issue is fixed, or use it with the knowledge that it is excessively draining your battery - your choice.

I have the same issue like most with Whats App. Battery lasting a day after full charge.I believe there is need to form a group of Whats App users and tell them about the issue with their App.

Letting the developers know there is an issue and voicing your concern is certainly the best way to proceed.