Lumia 920 battery - Your opinions

wilsey

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
Re: Battery drains really fast when idle

I'm the same when I'm done using an app but ending apps and killing background tasks are two separate things on Windows Phone. Backing out of an app doesn't necessarily kill the background task for that app. You have to manually block background tasks by going into the settings. Every app I have that is not using a live tile or doesn't notify me using toast has its background task disabled in the settings.

Also, I never understood the infatuation with battery apps... if I wanted to know the percentage of battery life, I just go into settings and take a quick look. I don't need an app with another background task running every 30 minutes for something I rarely need to see and for which I can do manually in seconds...

The purpose, for me, is not to see the percentage every time I use my phone. But just to monitor the charge/discharge rate and the average discharge and other stats. So that I know if there's any apps or the network itself that cause a battery drain.

Bicpug

Oct 19, 2012
Visit site

I think one of the recent nokia updates has affected sound on my 920, in last couple of days the volume rocker has stopped working and i cant alter volume unless i reset the phone..first problems ive had with my lumia.

wilsey

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site

I think one of the recent nokia updates has affected sound on my 920, in last couple of days the volume rocker has stopped working and i cant alter volume unless i reset the phone..first problems ive had with my lumia.

Which update is that? Just in case, when the updates show up in my phone, I won't install it first.

Sutter Kain

Feb 23, 2013
Visit site
Battery question

I unpluged my 920 from charging befeore going to bed, when the battery was full. 8 hours later it had 86% battery. Is it normal that it drained 14% just laying with blocked screen?

Sinabu

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Re: Battery question

1.75% per hour. That's about 2 days standby with no use. Doesn't seem to bad to me.. Other factors like what you have running in the background, What services updates etc will effect it.

Madeye234

Feb 8, 2013
Visit site

I'm not surprised, you may have a lot of programs in the background so its using the wireless network for various push, update, checking email... try putting your phone in airplane mode at night to see the difference. Make sure all programs are closed by long pressing the back arrow to see what you have still open, go to that panel then back arrow again to back out of it.

szaboagoston

Mar 7, 2013
Visit site
Re: Fix for the lumia 920 battery problems !

Okay, here are my statistics. Brand new Lumia 920, came with Portico update, battery charged only after draining completely.
1st charge: lasts 9-10 hours with light-moderate use. Heating. (I get frustrated and google the problem, which leads me here.)
2nd charge: lasts 9-10 hours with light-moderate use. Heating. (Even more frustrated, but read also about that the Lithium battery needs a few charge cycles before getting optimal.)
3rd charge: lasts 6-7 hours with internet sharing turned on constantly. Heating. (Understandable)
4th charge: After 8 hours of light-moderate use, even internet sharing for 30 minutes, the battery is on 72%. (I'm relieved and happy for my new Lumia 920!)

I didn't do any "magic" settings or resets, I have 3 mail accounts pushing mails. NFC on or off doesn't make a difference.

jMawl

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site

I tend to agree with this. First week or two with my phone, I was disappointed in the battery life (also testing the features a bit so battery drain was somewhat understandable). Now after a few months, I couldn't be happier. I almost never need to charge during a day's usage including some calls, texts and browsing (not much since I am always at a computer) and about 30 minutes of GPS tracking while running. I also listen to music quite a bit. I usually get to the end of the day (from 7 am to 8 or 9 pm) with 30-40% charge remaining.

Every once in a while, I will notice that my phone is warm while idle and that used to be the hallmark of significant battery drain. I have found that just turning the phone off and then on solves the issues in 9 out of 10 cases...when that doesn't work (probably once a week or so) I perform a soft reset and the problem is fixed.

Forgot to mention that I have a Lumia 920.

typhon62_1

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site

I heard if you wear different color socks, eat nothing but cabbage for a week and align your phone for exactly 4 hours and 20 minutes due South, it will improve battery life.

Listen, if you do a search, there are a MILLION and ONE suggestions on battery life.

You forgot the step of sticking your thumb in your a$$. With all that cabbage your going to be glad you did!

wilsey

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site

If you have none of the background apps running, just some of the background tasks, like: chatting or email. it is "normal" but not acceptable for me. Like what the other user suggest, try turning on the airplane mode and compare the difference.
For my case, if I am using the other provider, 7 hours after fully charged, when I woke up, it is still at 100%. And the estimated remaining time is 19 days. On my current provider, it fluctuates a lot. Ranging from 49% to 93%. 93% only once. While most of the time it is at around 70% remaining. So your network provider does make a lot of difference.

uselessrobot

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site

Usage seems decent to me, although I've experienced better myself.

How long have you had your phone? That's going to be the most telling thing here. It seems like it takes about a month for the phone to be properly conditioned. Once things stabilized for me battery life has remained consistently good. And by good I mean excellent. It will remain at 100%, on LTE, for hours after charging. The decline in posts about battery life seems to reflect that others have experienced the same improvements.

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site

I've seen no improvement since day one. Some people keep saying it takes time but there is no logical reason for this after a couple of charges.

rimlover

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site

If you have none of the background apps running, just some of the background tasks, like: chatting or email. it is "normal" but not acceptable for me. Like what the other user suggest, try turning on the airplane mode and compare the difference.
For my case, if I am using the other provider, 7 hours after fully charged, when I woke up, it is still at 100%. And the estimated remaining time is 19 days. On my current provider, it fluctuates a lot. Ranging from 49% to 93%. 93% only once. While most of the time it is at around 70% remaining. So your network provider does make a lot of difference.

did you even bother to read the comment above yours? Sutter pretty much has it in airplane mode. his wife turns off with the screen, meaning he's in bed sleeping so wifi is off and no data.

Curtieson

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site

did you even bother to read the comment above yours? Sutter pretty much has it in airplane mode. his wife turns off with the screen, meaning he's in bed sleeping so wifi is off and no data.

I don't think anyone mentioned a wife at all. ;)

I really like the %/hr figures that the battery apps give you.

I get about 1-2% drain when I am not using the phone (sleeping). Regular usage through out the day puts me 3% to 5%, 5-6% at work because I get a terrible signal....then, when I am playing Skulls of the Shogun it puts me at 40% an hour.

ttxzee

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site

the day I installed my screen protector I didn't use my phone but I left it on. battery dropped 2% in 21 hours and estimated time remaining was 42 days 13 hourswp_ss_20121207_0002.png

rimlover

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site

I don't think anyone mentioned a wife at all. ;)

I really like the %/hr figures that the battery apps give you.

I get about 1-2% drain when I am not using the phone (sleeping). Regular usage through out the day puts me 3% to 5%, 5-6% at work because I get a terrible signal....then, when I am playing Skulls of the Shogun it puts me at 40% an hour.

haha. i didnt even realize that his 'wife' was turned off haha. thanks for the correction. good catch ;). btw your battery drains just as fast as mine during game play then too. i thought i was the only one draining at 40% an hour with heavy game play.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ravi Joshi