Lumia 920 battery - Your opinions

rimlover

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
Re: Battery question

the day I installed my screen protector I didn't use my phone but I left it on. battery dropped 2% in 21 hours and estimated time remaining was 42 days 13 hoursView attachment 30212

that's f-ing insane. i just charged mine to 100% and it said 1 day 5 hours. is my battery faulty? by the way is there a gap between your phone screen and the unibody? i can fit the edge of a piece of paper in the space. i'm not sure if its normal or not but don't want to return it to get a worst phone.

uselessrobot

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site

I have a Lumia 920 sitting in my drawer, in airplane mode, that's at 46% after 20 days and one hour. That phone took about a month before battery usage was consistent. The second Lumia 920 actually started out better, but about two weeks in started having issues. Once it went from a full charge to 35% within an hour or two. Again, a month in battery improved dramatically. In the one to two months since I haven't had a single problem with either phone.

There may be something in the OS, but Li-Ion batteries do have some quirks. But 4G/LTE is definitely a huge drain. I've set my phone to do 1 hour syncs on all accounts.

Curtieson

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site

that's f-ing insane. i just charged mine to 100% and it said 1 day 5 hours. is my battery faulty? by the way is there a gap between your phone screen and the unibody? i can fit the edge of a piece of paper in the space. i'm not sure if its normal or not but don't want to return it to get a worst phone.

That is a smart figure that takes into account past/current usage. Play Skulls for an hour and look. If you have 50% left it will say its got 2 hrs of a charge, even though you know you should be able to get much more than that since you can expect to not be draining at that same rate. (rough numbers, but you get the point).

If you barely use your phone and get 48 hours out of it, the next time you are at 100% it will give you a higher life expectancy.

21 hrs for 2% is just sickening though...I can only imagine the phone was really new at that point and 'falsely' reading only 2% used.

rimlover

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site

That is a smart figure that takes into account past/current usage. Play Skulls for an hour and look. If you have 50% left it will say its got 2 hrs of a charge, even though you know you should be able to get much more than that since you can expect to not be draining at that same rate. (rough numbers, but you get the point).

If you barely use your phone and get 48 hours out of it, the next time you are at 100% it will give you a higher life expectancy.

21 hrs for 2% is just sickening though...I can only imagine the phone was really new at that point and 'falsely' reading only 2% used.

oh ok that makes more sense haha. well thanks for the help. now just 1 more question. do you have a gap between your screen and the unibody like i described above?

miodrage

Feb 16, 2013
Visit site

And I think the phone was in stand-by all the time, also in airplane mode. With some average use it can barely last a workday.
I am having an average 15hrs daily, but with pretty heavy usage:
30-50 mins talk
10-20 SMS
1-2 hrs Internet (chess, surf, market) mostly via WiFi
30-60 mins listening to music
30 mins gaming
30 mins MISC.

If ur phone survice this kinda torture from 9AM till 1 AM and with some extra reserve (10-15%) that is pretty decent.

Sutter Kain

Feb 23, 2013
Visit site

As s1 mentiond before, while I sleep only 3G is turned on, no Wi-fi, and 8-12 hours drains 16-18 percent of battery. I don't feel that's smth bad, just was curiosu how your lumia's are doing.

rimlover

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
Re: Battery drains really fast when idle

The purpose, for me, is not to see the percentage every time I use my phone. But just to monitor the charge/discharge rate and the average discharge and other stats. So that I know if there's any apps or the network itself that cause a battery drain.

haha i wrote the same thing :p well similar.

Amit Arora1

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site

And I think the phone was in stand-by all the time, also in airplane mode. With some average use it can barely last a workday.
30-50 mins talk
10-20 SMS
30 mins gaming
30 mins MISC.

If ur phone survice this kinda torture from 9AM till 1 AM and with some extra reserve (10-15%) that is pretty decent.

I would take that anytime..... BTW can you please tell, your phone's battery is performing this much since start or it got better after some time with being bad to start with?

miodrage

Feb 16, 2013
Visit site

This is the performance from the start, around 5 weeks now, possibly a little bit worse in the first 2-3 days, but not that much worse, maybe 60-90 minutes battery life less.
However, on my iPhone4, at the end of the day I was able to have up to 30% battery...

lamazion

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site

I was excited yesterday because I finished the day (11pm) with 66%. Unfortunately, woke up this morning and the battery was dead. This phone/battery does some strange things. I've been trying different apps in an attempt to figure it out. One time a charge will last nearly two days, the next will not get me through the day. My iPhone 5 is much more consistent. The biggest variance seems to be in drain while in standby. I love this phone, but if I can't figure this out I'll go back to my "5".

pimpdaddywelfare

Feb 12, 2013
Visit site

30-50 mins talk
10-20 SMS
30 mins gaming
30 mins MISC.

Holy crap. Thats awesome !!!
On my current Nexus 4 - I JUST drove in to work and I streamed a 30 min radio show on TuneIn with the screen off, and watched 2 quick 5 minute videos once I got here and my battery drained 29 in that time.
My screen on time is 1 hr 58 minutes with 27% remaining.

If I can get what you are claiming
shut-up-and-take-my-money.jpeg

Curtieson

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site

do you have a gap between your screen and the unibody like i described above?

I do not. I have a little spot on the bottom left of the phone that has some play in the plastic, but that's it.

As s1 mentiond before, while I sleep only 3G is turned on, no Wi-fi, and 8-12 hours drains 16-18 percent of battery. I don't feel that's smth bad, just was curiosu how your lumia's are doing.

What does "that's smth bad" mean?

This is the performance from the start, around 5 weeks now, possibly a little bit worse in the first 2-3 days, but not that much worse, maybe 60-90 minutes battery life less.
However, on my iPhone4, at the end of the day I was able to have up to 30% battery...

Your iPhone 4 also had no 4G and a screen 1" smaller. Night and day, haha. Obviously the less features and smaller you make a phone, the easier it is to get battery life out of it.

I was excited yesterday because I finished the day (11pm) with 66%. Unfortunately, woke up this morning and the battery was dead. This phone/battery does some strange things. I've been trying different apps in an attempt to figure it out. One time a charge will last nearly two days, the next will not get me through the day. My iPhone 5 is much more consistent. The biggest variance seems to be in drain while in standby. I love this phone, but if I can't figure this out I'll go back to my "5".

I whole heartedly agree that it is VERY tough to get a read on the battery of this phone. I think that is sadly the OS. WIth WP7 I could always predict the battery, and it seemed easier to understand when it would take huge hits. But now that we have more background tasks, certain things will be running and just kill the battery and I can't figure it out! Restarting the phone works to fix the issue (I normally just let it go to 5% and shut itself off and use that as a 'restart') but it is just weird that I could let my old phone go months without ever restarting and have an incredibly predictable experience.

rimlover

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site

@Curtieson. i'm glad your screen doesn't have a gap. i'm returning it in to nokia and see what they're going to say. hope it all works out.

reyfbernardo

Mar 5, 2013
Visit site

i was surprised when i turned off the battery saver app in my lumia 920! when it was turned on, it says 3 hours remaining @ 31 percent. but when i turned off the battery saver app, it says, 1 day and 9 hours! holy cow! i can't believe it! i will see if the battery will stay that long cause i just bought it last wednesday and i found that the battery drained in less than 8 hours...if it works then there is a bug in that application...hope everything turns well with the battery. i really like this phone, its really amazing!

Bataar

Feb 2, 2012
Visit site
Re: lumia 920 Battery Issues

Well, it looks like I'm going to be moving on to Lumia 920 #4. I got up this morning, took my phone off the charger about 7:30 with a full charge. Quickly checked emails. Drove to work, got to work and set phone on my desk. Before 2:00, it alerted me that the battery was critically low. The factory battery app showed that the phone only had 9% battery left, 6 hours since the last charge and less than an hour remaining. 5 minutes later, it completely died. And this is from doing nothing but letting it sit on my desk in standby. I take that back, it was connected to a wifi network. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

miodrage

Feb 16, 2013
Visit site

My phone is connected to the wifi all day, but no problems when it is not working something.... Do check ur background tasks, something is going on there... If possible kill all the BG tasks, and then watch closely...

tallygigabit

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site

If you have updated to any of the four Nokia "HERE" apps, the battery will quickly drain using the default settings. Quickest fix is to open each of the HERE apps that you installed and go to "settings" and turn off the "use my location". Your WP8 will go back to normal battery function. :cool:

rimlover

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site

If you have updated to any of the four Nokia "HERE" apps, the battery will quickly drain using the default settings. Quickest fix is to open each of the HERE apps that you installed and go to "settings" and turn off the "use my location". Your WP8 will go back to normal battery function. :cool:

but if the app isn't running it won't use your location, right? or will it?

Bataar

Feb 2, 2012
Visit site

My phone is connected to the wifi all day, but no problems when it is not working something.... Do check ur background tasks, something is going on there... If possible kill all the BG tasks, and then watch closely...
I only had one app running in the background, the rest were blocked. I had tried everything with that phone and it would still randomly die in a matter of hours with no use. I'm on phone 4 now so we'll give this a shot.

Nick_1020

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site

Disappointed with battery life on the 920. The memories of charging my 808 every 2 days seem so distant! ;)

I have to plug my 920 in many times during the day. I've checked BG tasks and all looks ok. Once the battery gets low, it's such a struggle to overcome. Charging for an hour or so makes too little difference.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ravi Joshi