Lumia 920 battery - Your opinions

yojoebosolo

Jan 6, 2013
Visit site
More than doubled my battery life

Not sure if this is obvious, but i thought it might be worth letting you know anyway.

I was having awful battery life, random "lumia 920" battery drains from 80% to 0% overnight, etc. Did a factory reset and it went back to being AMAZING. installed various apps and games and so on that i couldn't live without, such as WHATSAPP (big drainer) and it pretty much went straight back to being awful again.

But then i turned my mobile internet OFF while being in my house (but wifi ON). still receiving texts and things just no mobile INTERNET...
and....
My battery now lasts about two days without charge (reasonably heavy usage (no games and whatnot, lots of browsing/texts/phone)) and goes down about 6% overnight.

and by the way, I tried setting it to flight mode one night and only had about 3% battery drain all night, which is incredible. completely restored my faith in the phone's battery. unfortunately it's completely unusable in this mode though, so wifi on only is good enough for me.

Now setting up a NFC to help me turn on mobile internet as i leave the house...!

WorzelGummage

Dec 30, 2012
Visit site
Re: More than doubled my battery life

And this is what I've been telling people for years to help them with battery life. Mobile data (3G/4G) will always be a battery killer and I only turn it on when I actually need it. It doesn't matter what phone it is, whether it be an Android or a Windows Phone. On my 920 I have tiles right at the top for quick access to WiFi, Mobile data, Bluetooth and Flight mode by way of an app called Pin it.

yojoebosolo

Jan 6, 2013
Visit site

And this is what I've been telling people for years to help them with battery life. Mobile data (3G/4G) will always be a battery killer and I only turn it on when I actually need it. It doesn't matter what phone it is, whether it be an Android or a Windows Phone. On my 920 I have tiles right at the top for quick access to WiFi, Mobile data, Bluetooth and Flight mode by way of an app called Pin it.

Agreed, but i have to say, it's worse on these phones for whatever reason...

I get bad signal in my room, so i guess the phone is constantly checking for mobile internet all night, even with wifi set to 'constantly on - even under lock screen'. which is just stupid, i think wifi should override mobile internet automatically. maybe i'm wrong though.

Last edited:

admorris#AC

Apr 22, 2012
Visit site

Sorry... I've come from a long history with android and what you have said is simply not true. I never had to touch network settings while on my WiFi network at home to get great battery life. I generally lost about 1 percent every two hours on standby with android using WiFi and network enabled.

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
I'm on 1308.xx with my Lumia 920 - been nearly 20 hours now. I've used phone for texting, mobile data on, nfc on, location on, wifi off - I have 91% battery remaining. No background agents though.

nikhilr51

Sep 11, 2012
Visit site

Sorry... I've come from a long history with android and what you have said is simply not true. I never had to touch network settings while on my WiFi network at home to get great battery life. I generally lost about 1 percent every two hours on standby with android using WiFi and network enabled.

I've come from a history of iOS and i agree with you, dont need to touch data/wifi settings at all to get great battery life. I have to constantly check my lumias battery several times a day :/

nikhilr51

Sep 11, 2012
Visit site
I'm on 1308.xx with my Lumia 920 - been nearly 20 hours now. I've used phone for texting, mobile data on, nfc on, location on, wifi off - I have 91% battery remaining. No background agents though.

Good god that is amazing.
I just flashed to 1308 today. Tomorrow will be the first test to see if battery is any better than what i was getting on portico (max 10ish hours)

WorzelGummage

Dec 30, 2012
Visit site

Where exactly in my post did I mention anything to do with WiFi?

abel920

Dec 16, 2012
Visit site

I can't wait to have this update. I just can't afford to loose my data, and my settings as they are such a pain to do. =(

admorris#AC

Apr 22, 2012
Visit site

Where exactly in my post did I mention anything to do with WiFi?

Well I assumed you had WiFi on since you turned the network off. Of course turning everything off is going to help battery life, but then that is completely defeating the purpose of owning a smartphone. I've never understood that logic of shutting everything down to get better battery. No way in **** would I stay with any phone if I had to do that.

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
I did a little test after I finished 20 hours on 1308.xx - This was without any background agents. Then I've installed Whatsapp and I've only used Whatsapp for an aggregate of 20 minutes max! 22 hours (2 hours since installed Whatsapp) - my remaining battery from 89% went to 51% - I mean WTFlower! Just by installing this crap, I've lost battery. Phone sat in idle more of these two hours and only used random replies on Whatsapp for maximum 20 minutes if that!

Moral of the story - 1308.xx has improved idle and normal phone battery definitely or at least corrected the battery meter now to reflect true state of phone. However, Whatsapp is a nightmare as always and as much as I love my friends and family around the globe, I am not going to sacrifice my phone because of whatsapp, so that is being uninstalled right away!

alpha beta gaga

Mar 7, 2013
Visit site

But then i turned my mobile internet OFF while being in my house (but wifi ON). still receiving texts and things just no mobile INTERNET...
and....
My battery now lasts about two days without charge (reasonably heavy usage (no games and whatnot, lots of browsing/texts/phone)) and goes down about 6% overnight
nice find! do you use any toggle from the store to turn on/off from your start?

anon(5493437)

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
Just one question. I've read the Whatsup is dangerous app and cose battery draining, but if the app is the problem, why everything fine in my girlfriend's HTC Radar?
I think it is not just an app, it is more than that.

Ye and one more. Has anyone written for whatsup team to fix it?

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
Just one question. I've read the Whatsup is dangerous app and cose battery draining, but if the app is the problem, why everything fine in my girlfriend's HTC Radar?
I think it is not just an app, it is more than that.

Ye and one more. Has anyone written for whatsup team to fix it?

Yes numerous times and there is a whole thread on this too. But Whatsapp can't be bothered as what app they have right now works fine and is designed to work perfect on WP7 phones with highest WP users.

Sinan Sever

Mar 15, 2013
Visit site
920 battery life and overheating concerns for newcomers

As I myself was a newly 920 owner a couple of weeks ago, i know all about the frustration of a buyer getting really angry at the fact that the damned phone cannot even get through 4 hours without depleting its battery and overheating.

To all the newcomers out there, let this be known: It Gets Better.

So much better that in fact now my average battery time increased from 4 hours to 15-18 over the course of 3 weeks. (2-3 hours of web browsing 3g included) Also, the heating problem seems to be triggered by some rare apps like Nokia maps (HERE maps as of now). Even Asphalt 7 cannot seem overheat my phone to the point that i feel uncomfortable. And this comes from a guy that actually thought of giving the phone back because I thought it was defected and it 'was' literally impossible to use the phone because of heat. Now it's ok.

One quick tip that i would advise is to open gps at all times. It helped improve the battery life so much for me up to the point that I think this is a wp8 OS problem. Maybe there is a problem where programs trying to gather location info goes into a loop and drains battery? Doesnt matter. Try opening your location services and use it like that. Plus, imho, don't use battery apps. They deplete your charge even more than all the other apps combined...

And as you'd find everywhere on this forum, about 10-15 charge cycles and you're good to go. I hope this is a useful thread for all of you out there trying to solve what is actually wrong with your phone: pretty much nothing.

tldr: Give it some time. It gets better.

Regards from a 920 user from Turkey.

Devamps

Mar 7, 2013
Visit site
Re: 920 battery life and overheating concerns for newcomers

Sinan Sever, really it all makes sense what you said about the applications of GPS.
I say a few more things, in places where there is no 4G connection (or where the 4G signal is weak and always swinging), it is best left alone 3G enabled.

Also, considering that each user has different usage habits of others, it is difficult (perhaps unwise) to make comparisons about battery consumption ...
Some guys use their phones extensively, others not so!
There are also those who do not know configure their phones properly to their user profiles...

There are even guys who do not even know how to take photos, why not have a clue about how to configure the camera for their smartphones...

In short, in most situations of excessive consumption of battery, is the fault of the users who are not accustomed to dealing with the various active functions on a smartphone at the same time, because perhaps they probably never used any smartfone in theirs life!

And these are facts (common) I see a lot in various places on the internet.

Sincerely, a user 920 from Brazil, still using the 3,5G (H+) network.

Last edited:

Shun Ren Chang

Mar 28, 2013
Visit site
Re: lumia 920 Battery Issues

Hello There,

Have you charged your Nokia Lumia 920 for 8 hours when you first got it? The battery is designed to increase its own life after a couple of recharges, if you research further, you will find that everyone has the same problem, the answer really is patience.

Devamps

Mar 7, 2013
Visit site
Re: lumia 920 Battery Issues

Hello There,

Have you charged your Nokia Lumia 920 for 8 hours when you first got it? The battery is designed to increase its own life after a couple of recharges, if you research further, you will find that everyone has the same problem, the answer really is patience.

Yes, we know that, we also know that patience is not a gift, it is a virtue that few people have, unfortunately!
A big hug to you. :wink:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlizaForbes