Lumia 920 battery - Your opinions

VisualD

Aug 6, 2013
Visit site
I still haven't found out why my phone recently started to drain at double speed and Black update had no effect. It's almost as if a cell in the battery died or something.

Gbeiro

Jan 14, 2014
Visit site
Re: lumia 920 Battery Issues

I never had problems with it. What i do is always let it drain it all. Only then I connect to the charger. My battery life time is about 15h per day. Its not great, I know. But not that bad at all. (For my use at least)

Sent from my GT-P5110 using WPCentral Forums mobile app

Zen8

Dec 31, 2013
Visit site

I'm going crazy after Black update.I used to arrive 'till night and more now i have a discharge rate of about 25%/h with just wi fi on no app in background and For 1h in standby,this is hilarious I can't believe it.Any tips?

UPDATE

After a soft reset + full night charging I can notice some improvements.

UPDATE 2 : I've done a hard reset and now it's really great.I haven't used much,just some internet on WI fi,glance and double tap and after 24h since last charge it is at 50%(not the best since some guys here got 3 days without charging).It's a way better result than before so I'm really satisfied.

Sent from my RM-821_eu_italy_310 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

cj-m

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site

Then, I am supposing that this isn't normal?

I run on a daily basis, average distance is approximately 3km. I have my L920 with me, on full charge, and the only app running is My Run. No music or any other apps open at the time and there is no data/cellphone connection. At the end of my run, I get back to the ship and my L920 is beeping that the battery is almost empty.

How is it that the battery cant even last for 40 minutes outside while I am doing a run?

GizmoEV

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site

Then, I am supposing that this isn't normal?

I run on a daily basis, average distance is approximately 3km. I have my L920 with me, on full charge, and the only app running is My Run. No music or any other apps open at the time and there is no data/cellphone connection. At the end of my run, I get back to the ship and my L920 is beeping that the battery is almost empty.

How is it that the battery cant even last for 40 minutes outside while I am doing a run?
That isn't normal. I have WiFi off when I'm out and I have had Runtastic running for several hours on a hike and my battery wasn't drained. I do have Runtastic set to run under the lock screen. I don't keep the screen on the whole time.

Tom Snyder

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site
I don't know what app I've updated but my battery drain has been fantastic for about the last 10 days, I have not changed a setting or disabled anything. It is only draining about 25% per 24hours and that is using the phone and surfing the web several times a day.

It has not been this way since the day I got it last May the best I ever had before was about 50% drain in 24 hours and that didn't happen very often.

All of the work arounds, restarting our phones, standing on our heads or whatever else we do only stop the symptom they do not resolve the problem, we will have to only hope they come out with a app which will show what is really running wild causing the problem, then we can disable the problem or uninstall it. :smile:

failed1234

Dec 28, 2012
Visit site

I never had problems with it. What i do is always let it drain it all. Only then I connect to the charger. My battery life time is about 15h per day. Its not great, I know. But not that bad at all. (For my use at least)

Sent from my GT-P5110 using WPCentral Forums mobile app

Pretty sure you're not supposed to do that...

Sent from my KFHDX using Tapatalk

camptime

Feb 26, 2012
Visit site

Deep discharges of Lithium based batteries accelerates their wear compared to partial discharges.

And here in lies the problem with having a 920, After having owned one for 13 months I have given up trying to solve the battery drain some days it last 12 hours next day 4. My phone was sent to Nokia to have the battery replaced at 9 months old I suspect the battery getting drained till it was completely flat was a lot to do with the battery failure. Anyway I am very happy with my new phone choice for now and the battery lasts all day with very heavy use.

Last edited:

uzeroni

Jan 24, 2013
Visit site
This is just daft compared to my heavily optimized GPe S4 :|
Both have same usage patterns, on-off music listening for about 30mins to an hour, 2 hour video sessions (TopGear specials each at 1280x720), 30 minute net browsing, no calls, and both are forced 2G.

...Seriously? I can keep on going with my Lumia, my God.
(edit)
The 920 is on Lumia Black while the GPe is 4.4.2 running the Qualcomm-optimized libraries (ART killed a lot of my apps)

Attachments

• wp_ss_20140122_0001.png
    wp_ss_20140122_0001.png
    135.9 KB · Views: 6
  • Screenshot_2014-01-22-13-19-42.png
    Screenshot_2014-01-22-13-19-42.png
    233.5 KB · Views: 4

Tiwo

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site
I gotta say, since I turned off 3G and started the 2G life, my battery life is like a beast :). Stupid thing is I've never realised you only need 3G for stuff like browsing and streaming(which you won't do often as it costs you data). I'm a happy man again :). I was even afraid for NextGen Reader, but hey, it only takes a few seconds longer.

alpha beta gaga

Mar 7, 2013
Visit site
I gotta say, since I turned off 3G and started the 2G life, my battery life is like a beast :). Stupid thing is I've never realised you only need 3G for stuff like browsing and streaming(which you won't do often as it costs you data). I'm a happy man again :). I was even afraid for NextGen Reader, but hey, it only takes a few seconds longer.
that is the key to anyone who is getting rubbish bettery results

broar94

Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
This is just daft compared to my heavily optimized GPe S4 :|
Both have same usage patterns, on-off music listening for about 30mins to an hour, 2 hour video sessions (TopGear specials each at 1280x720), 30 minute net browsing, no calls, and both are forced 2G.

...Seriously? I can keep on going with my Lumia, my God.
(edit)
The 920 is on Lumia Black while the GPe is 4.4.2 running the Qualcomm-optimized libraries (ART killed a lot of my apps)

You do realize that Lumia 920 has a dual core processor and a 4.5" HD screen right? The S4 has a 5" 1080p(bigger strain on the GPU and also more power needed to draw the whole screen) screen and a quad-core processor(of the latest kind?). S4 would be way better in benchmarks and much faster if running both OS in same time. In android, you have more running services than WP at the same level. So please take all this into account before comparing. Have you disabled Google Now btw? Also from the battery screenshot, you were running on Battery Saver the whole time? Lol, thats a very unfair method of running a battery comparsion test on a similar usage! Lumia 920 would be a winner each time no doubt :)

uzeroni

Jan 24, 2013
Visit site
I did take the screens into account so I have taken some measures on the S4, such as:
- Undervolting and locking the highest frequency of the CPU to 810Mhz (cause 3.2Ghz is still a lot, right)
- Limited the background processes to 3 each (mimicking power saver on the WP)
- Did disable Google Now
- Disabled Auto-brightness and set the mDNIe mode to Movie (heavily desaturated)
- Disabled Auto-sync (mimicking WP again)
- Did not reboot at all for both phones
- Disabled haptic feedback and sounds
- Disabled the key lights
- Screen time out at lowest for each
- Using optimized libraries (ART doesn't cut it for me yet)

All in all, I think I sort of neutered the S4 to copy the 920 in some way, eh?

stoneysilence

Sep 23, 2012
Visit site
I have had my Lumia 920 (5th one by the way) for about a year now. I hate its battery life. It sucks compared to my mom's Samsung Note and my sisters iPhone 4S. If I use my phone for pretty much ANYTHING it is dead by 5pm (and I usually don't get up before noon) and I have to plug it in. With the issues of live tiles dying and MS' treatment of Xbox Live games, gamers, and devs I am seriously thinking of giving up on Windows Phone. I wouldn't recommend a WP to anybody in my family anymore.