Lumia 920 battery - Your opinions

amrut_m

Mar 3, 2013
Visit site
I'm got a great battery life for the 1st day,
kept phone on charging at 11.30- unplugged at 1.
downloaded loads of apps took many photos, played games, whats app's.
and in night around 9.30 had 65% played with pro shot, and saw darkknight blue ray. downloaded artist tags, whats apps, etc played alot.
Till i was sleepy, at 11.30 battery was 17% left.
Morning when i got up got 13% battery remaining.

Which according to me was awesome.

Blocks9

Mar 15, 2013
Visit site
After downloading Nokia Chat beta, I noticed battery drain and my phone getting hot. After removing this app, and doing a soft reset, my phone has returned to normal. For me, normal is 1 day and roughly 12 hours of battery... with light to moderate use. The phone no longer heats up, even when playing games such as Temple Run or Little Acorns.

theeboredone

Oct 7, 2012
Visit site
Think my battery might have one of those "catch up" moments. Unplug it, text, play games, internet for about 8 hours and it's still at 100%. All of a sudden, it takes a random splurge to 90% before going to sleep, and then 82% when I wake up. Now it has "settled down" again.

Used to happen with my old HTC MyTouch 4G. Unplugging it, and doing a bunch of stuff on it for a while, but still showed 100%, then take a sudden dip.

freestaterocker

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
Think my battery might have one of those "catch up" moments. Unplug it, text, play games, internet for about 8 hours and it's still at 100%. All of a sudden, it takes a random splurge to 90% before going to sleep, and then 82% when I wake up. Now it has "settled down" again.

Used to happen with my old HTC MyTouch 4G. Unplugging it, and doing a bunch of stuff on it for a while, but still showed 100%, then take a sudden dip.

I notice this same behavior on my Ativ S.

freestaterocker

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
Instead of opening a new thread ill post my question here, its related to the battery.

So, i've had the L920 for almost a week now and Ibeen letting it fully charge than deplete (to at least 5% remaining) every day. I haven't plugged it in at work (I sit at a desk about 4-5 hours a day), used to plug in my S3 here and there. So my two questions are:

- Is it OK to use a blackberry USB cable to charge phone on my laptop? I've heard some people complain and third party power cable/supply issues.

- How long do i have to let the battery fully charge and deplete before allowing flexibility to charge 'whenever i want'?

Thanks

I use BB cables almost exclusively, just because they are inexpensive when I need a new cable.

In answer to your second question, your Lumia isn't a cordless phone from last decade. It uses a completely different battery technology called Lithium-Polymer. Frequent partial charges are actually better for this technology. Regularly running down your battery will shorten its lifespan. Instead of the "charge memory" phenomenon that NiCad and NiMH batteries experience, the inherent weakness in Lithium-Polymer and Lithium-Ion (that'd be what powers your laptop, so the same rules apply) is a limited number of power cycles-complete discharge and recharge-before the battery begins to degrade.

I really wish there was more public awareness on this. I can't tell you how many times I've been waiting in line at a carrier store, cringing as I overhear the rep telling the customer to regularly let their brand-new $700 iPhone (with no replaceable battery) die to "preserve battery life". It's almost more than I can bear.

SahilShah

Feb 4, 2013
Visit site
Re: lumia 920 Battery Issues

My phone is working perfectly, battery wise...I get 22-26 hours with pretty heavy use....I guess I lucked out!

freestaterocker

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
Im on my 4th phone, 2 out of the 4 i've had have had great battery life. My first one i bought and the third one had bad battery life.

Im going on 5 months in with this last one with no issues on battery except when the 1308 update happened which killed my battery due to the signal issues. once 1314 came, fixed it all up.

2 Push emails (one work email so a hundred or so emails a day), 1 every 30 minutes
BT on 2 hours of music through BT in my car
Surfing internet probably 2 -3 hours a day
about 50-100 text a day - normal text
not a lot of calls, maybe a couple minutes on average per day
have facebook app, skype, 3 live tiles
on medium brightness no adjustment
LTE zone
no games

Take off my phone off charger at 730am and typically has 10-30% by midnight depending if my GF uses my phone to snoop on my activity.

Very good batter life. If you are not getting good battery life, i'd suggest doing an exchange. If my phone is off the charger overnight while i sleep for 8 hours, the most it goes down is probably 2%, most of the time, the % i have when i go to bed is the % i see when i wake up.

Sounds like you've got a great phone! I definitely think Nokia's big issue is consistency. I almost wonder if they had a few bad batches of a component or some sloppy soldiers causing electrical resistance on some phones and not on others. This would explain why some 920s have great battery life and others are sh1t...

But I think you might need to ditch the nosy gf... (jk)

freestaterocker

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
Freestake, I appreciate the battery lesson...makes a lot more sense. I guess I'm still living in 1996 lol

No worries! But if you're going to insist on getting my name wrong, spelling it "freesteak" will make me much more popular. Because, well, who's gonna say no to a free steak? Not me.... Om nom nom

chezm

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
Lol....freestaterocker....sorry got the name wrong bud. Responding from my phone and it didn't add your quote even though I checked to do so. I'm such a newbie.

--------

side question for everyone:

do you find using the battery monitoring apps to cause miscalculation or faster battery drain?

Last edited:

lfjj

Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I find my battery to be alright. Considering I got push on three mail accounts (as items arrive) I get through a whole day unless I have to use the phone all the time while working (using the GPS).

DaveGx

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
battery life is good - normal usage 3 days+

some apps discharge battery fast so you should be aware of whats working in the background

Define "normal" usage? I find this unbelievable unless you do literally nothing with your phone; no background tasks, no email, no WiFi, no data, and hardly turn in display....

If you truly get 3 hours, then the batteries many people have, including myself, are defective. Hell, even with all background tasks off except email push, my phone battery still sucks.

Alex Magik

Mar 3, 2013
Visit site
Define "normal" usage? I find this unbelievable unless you do literally nothing with your phone; no background tasks, no email, no WiFi, no data, and hardly turn in display....

If you truly get 3 hours, then the batteries many people have, including myself, are defective. Hell, even with all background tasks off except email push, my phone battery still sucks.

i also used to have about a while weekend without recharging, basically use it for phone calls, sms, but not a lot, some pictures to take. but really nothing much. But with the same usage, after installing Skype, it's down to a day and half, now basically every day or max 2 i need to recharge it.

DaveGx

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
i also used to have about a while weekend without recharging, basically use it for phone calls, sms, but not a lot, some pictures to take. but really nothing much. But with the same usage, after installing Skype, it's down to a day and half, now basically every day or max 2 i need to recharge it.

Still very good, I envy you.

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
Re: Two possilbe ways to solve the overheat and battery problem

Ok. Here is my problem. For the past 2 weeks, the phone has been overheating a lot. Most of the time, it overheats so much, that it just freezes the screen and nothing responds. It dosen't even power off. So i found a temporary solution to turn it on by soft reseting the phone(volume down and power). This at least turned the phone on. Now, it freezes so much, that i have to soft reset almost everyday. Today, on soft resetting it, the phone turned on displaying the wrong date and time. I rebooted and it showed another wrong date and time. Now i have left it for about 2 hours and along with the wrong date and time, it dosen't even detect network. I even tried reinserting the sim but it still didnt pick up network. Somebody please help me

Blocks9

Mar 15, 2013
Visit site
Does anyone use the battery app that gives you your current charging rate etc?? if so, is a 43% per hour a decent charging rate, or below normal?

oldpueblo

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Does anyone use the battery app that gives you your current charging rate etc?? if so, is a 43% per hour a decent charging rate, or below normal?

That's higher than I've seen, I mean think about it that means you'll be fully charged in about two hours. Sounds pretty good to me.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kasha963